Wed, Oct 2, 10:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Setting up Runtime Liibrary

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 8:34 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:19 PM

Hi, haven't been in for a long time, haven't touched Poser or Studio since around 2012. I remember a tutorial somewhere here that showed the best way to set up your Libraries so you could point to them with Poser 2012 and have some control over what goes where. Does anyone remember those tutorials? I know I can do a search but not sure where to start it.  Thanks,  Marque

piersyf ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 8:47 AM · edited Sun, 05 July 2015 at 8:51 AM

Any folder called what you like.

Inside that, a folder called 'runtime'

Install any files you like into that. In fact, I have a 'test runtime' that is empty. Any of the old Bitrock installers I just point at that and let them do their thing (although doesn't work for base DAZ characters like Victoria 4... they need the Poser.exe present to install files). Basic structure inside a runtime folder is: Geometries, Libraries, Templates, Textures.

Inside Libraries are the folders that show up in the Poser library (surprise!). These are: Camera, Character, Face, Hair, Hand, Light, Materials, Pose, Props, Scene.

You don't need all of them, but you'll probably end up with them at some point.

Mostly let things go where they want, but some things I'd suggest:

don't move or rename geometry. Poser will still work, it's just slower because it searches. Same for Textures.

You can move materials/pose(mat) files into the corresponding character file to have all in the same place. Locations that have a character and a stack of props can be moved to a single place, as can the mat files for clothing items. Same for hair (textures matched to the hair/character).

A bit basic, but should get you started, and was quicker than looking up the tutorial for you...

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 8:58 AM

Thank you! Was just going through the list of tutorials, pretty long. Did find some things that jogged my memory though. Have so much to relearn but it will be fun.

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 9:07 AM

Oh, I seem to remember putting a copy of Poser.exe in the new folder so we could do the characters, does that still work?

Thanks! 

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 11:52 AM

For older executionals, not needed for newer files, most are zipped.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 12:31 PM · edited Sun, 05 July 2015 at 12:31 PM

PoserPro 2012 can internally create runtime hierarchy with all the fundamental folders.  Simply go to add runtime in the Library, and create 2 new folders anywhere you like.  The first folder will be the name of the particular content you would like to install, followed by a second folder within the first called runtime.  Click OK and Poser will create Camera, Character, Face, Hand, Hair, Lights, Materials, Props, Pose, and Scene folders.  Geometries and Textures folders will need to be manually created, but not an issue if you will be installing vendor content into those runtimes.

piersyf ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2015 at 6:47 PM

Poser will, as hborre says, create a basic runtime folder. Subsequent installations of files will add new folders as needed.

In my runtime tree I have one for V4/A4 and that one does have a Poser.exe in it, as does my runtime for M4/H4. I have one called 'Locations' which are all the buildings, city scapes etc, which does not need the Poser.exe so doesn't have them.

The reason I have a test runtime is for the old Bitrock auto installers. I send everything there, look at the file structure, move/rename the bits to match my system, then control X the runtime folder, go to the runtime I want that content in, and hit control V, and it all gets put in the right spot. It means I don't have to fishing through the final runtime looking for where the installer put things.

again, as hborre says, files that are zipped often extract into the runtime folder structure. Those I can just change to my own structure then put in the destination runtime.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2015 at 3:30 AM · edited Mon, 06 July 2015 at 3:31 AM

Well rats, Poser just stopped working again. Wasn't working, found the newest update, worked great and now told me I was missing python 27.dll and to re-install. Re-installed and now keeps crashing as soon as it boots up. Arrrrgh!!! Can anyone out there help with this? Win 8.1 on ASUS i7 with 32 gigs of ram. Should be able to run it right? Or do I need to put it on a win 7 machine? Dialog box says Poser Pro executable file has stopped working.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.