Wed, Sep 18, 2:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Learning Blender with Tutorials

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 8:18 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 6:31 PM

I plan to seriously start learning Blender in about a week or so. I tried on my own but the current interface can be very uh, frustrating. May have been asked and answered but is BlenderCookie A-list or is there another site that is recommended?

Thanks.

'I'm paying for this movie. I want guns'

Mythic3D ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 10:46 AM

As someone who has also recently started seriously trying to learn Blender and has tried off an on for a couple years, I highly recommend starting with BlenderForNoobs "Learn Blender in an Hour" video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1sH6Cm1ww - it is very basic but will introduce you to and get you comfortable with the layout in literally an hour. From there you can tackle any other videos more experienced people recommend, but as a total beginner myself, I was lost until I followed along with this video. After it I was familiar enough with the layout that I could follow other videos without feeling like I had to be constantly pausing them and squinting to see where they were clicking. He has a series of basic modeling videos that go through some very simple tasks and get you familiar with the most common editing features too - at a very basic level, but they are the simple tools that everyone else's videos seem to assume you already know. :)

radioham ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 11:33 AM
Online Now!

Hello, I do hope that you pick up Blender faster than me still I would say to you sit down and work your way with the program videos BlenderForNoobs "Learn Blender in an Hour" there is quite an load of video..and other help out there have an good look at Utube

Ian

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 12:23 PM

Watching now. Pretty good so far. Will restart when I get home and focus without distractions. Headphones on and people still talk to me. Arrgh!

Anyway, Thanks for the help.

radioham ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 1:35 PM
Online Now!

I thing that I have done Down load the Tutorials.. Then use any have good video program and the videos that run just far to fast extend the time line ((( this slows the video down ))) far easer to follow now this is no good for the sound but you can watch it at a speed that suits u...Ian

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 4:29 PM · edited Fri, 11 September 2015 at 4:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Hello NolosQuinn

I moved our Welcome and General Blender Info for Newbies Sticky back so it can be seen it has many links and resources that can help you get started with Blender. Also do ask questions I feel we have one of the best if not the best groups of members who will be willing to chime in and offer any help they can when you come across something you might not understand or get stuck on. Welcome to the community

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 5:24 PM

Thanks, Lobo, I drove right past it.

benwhe ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2015 at 2:50 PM

See my post, Human readable script wanted, for blender. Will this type of solution help you? You say videos are hard to follow. I say videos are too fast, show mouse, but not keyboard. What kind of learning aid will work? I do not think you and I can force blender to change.

false1 ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 3:05 PM

I'll recommend the video series by Darrin Lile and BornCG on YouTube as well. They are very well organized and have separate videos for specific tasks and functions. No need for paid tutorials in my opinion.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 09 May 2017 at 1:20 PM · edited Tue, 09 May 2017 at 1:20 PM
Forum Moderator

Contributed by incantrix

I thought there was sticky for listing tutorial sites at some stage But I may be wrong on that. Anyway I came across this in my travels and no I didn't count them to make sure lol.

http://filmmakeriq.com/2009/04/555-blender-tutorials

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2017 at 6:52 AM

I must check out "BlenderForNoobs"...Over several years I've tried to get my head around Blenders confusing ui layout, only to be completely frustrated. I'm only interested in the modeling aspect of Blender and not texturing, uv mapping (use 3DCoat) or rendering (use Vue Complete).

Too bad there was a version of Blender that only offered the modeling functions with everything else stripped out...

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2017 at 10:31 AM · edited Wed, 17 May 2017 at 10:33 AM

I originally learned Blender (back with version 2.4x) with a UI that was horrific, and then started learning the current UI layout with version 2.52 (IIRC), and tutorials is basically how I learned to do anything with Blender.

That said, however, even after using Blender off and on for a good many years, I'm currently taking The Complete Blender Creator course at Udemy, as they very often have sales on their classes for $10 to $15 for lifetime access. Even though I was already familiar with the UI layout, I've still been able to pick up a few tips and tricks as I work my way through the course. I can also vouch for the instructor, as he makes things easy to understand, and even though the beginning sections were more for absolute beginners, the videos of each exercise are well constructed.

Oh, and no, I'm not in any way connected with Udemy, I just happen to be taking this course (and a few others), and think n00bs to Blender would find it helpful, especially since they also have a community forum for this Blender class, and a few other courses, so there's somewhere you can post questions.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2017 at 3:09 PM
Forum Moderator

I agree with you Miss B Udemy has become a really good resource for Blender tutorials I have grabbed up many when on sale for $10 but I will add one opinion about one instructor who across many of his courses seems he rehashes the same topics over and over repeating the same things to add time to his courses so I would highly recommend that you do not spend any money on his courses unless they are free I really hate to be critical about anyone who puts in an effort to teach something but not even worth the 10 bucks Joe Baily is the instructor.

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2017 at 9:07 PM

The Blender class I'm taking is being taught by Michael Bridges, and he's really set up a nice presentation of the lessons.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2017 at 6:10 AM
Forum Moderator

I am taking one of his also and another that I am taking several of his courses is Darrin Lile

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.