Mon, Oct 21, 11:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: gen3 questions

scottl ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2016 at 9:34 PM · edited Mon, 14 October 2024 at 12:52 PM

, Hi, Havent been using Poser alot since started school so mostly have v/m4. Tried DS but tbh dont really like it. maybe because im just so familiar with Poser. What id like to know is if the G2 and G3 figures are useable easily within Poser 11. meaning not having to jump thru hoops but is easily used as v/m4 is. Thanks for any responses. Usually dont ask about ds and poser since people can get crazy. Scott

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 1:25 AM

No ,might try dawn from hivewire3d

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 7:14 AM

The keyword is easily. RorrKonn gave the quick and dirty answer, no. However, they are usable in Poser, Genesis 2 easily than Genesis 3. There are many threads posted here and other sites dealing with the importation of both models, I would suggest reading those so you may form your own opinion about whether it is worth the effort.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 1:11 PM

Having spent six months working out the best ways to get the g figures into Poser, I would say it is the underwear answer -

It Depends.......

I use the g1 figure for DarioFish's Aliens, and I use the g1 & g2 children figures (In my comics, my characters have families).

Yes, g figures can be converted from native DS to native Poser figures - which is necessary to avoid the memory issues with DSON.

No, it isn't hard - there are simply a lot of steps that have to be done for every single product you are attempting to bring into Poser.

Is it worth the effort? I would say no - and let me explain WHY, because this is the important part. If you want to get the most use out of g figures in Poser, you need to understand some thing going in.

1. The G figures are quite a bit more expensive than non-DAZ figures. The "Iconic Shapes" are a waste of money - You would be paying an extra $44.95 to use them, and most of those figures only have five or six characters made for them, so you better really, really like them. They also have slightly different UV maps, so you will need to do a bit of extra work in DS to share those skins with your other g2 figures in Poser. Most of the g2 iconic shapes aren't making it to the g3 lifecycle, so I would say that DAZ and vendors have judged them a failure. No more Davids, Stephanies, children of any type, much less any of the newer "iconic shapes"

2. You will spend a great deal of time unscrewing the Poser Companion File folders. As an example, I have 988 packages of g1 & 2 content installed in my ! DIM Default runtime. Out of those 988 packages, NOT ONE has all of the PCFs in the correct subfolders. Think about that for a minute. And speaking of those PCFs, if it only takes me 30 seconds to convert a PCF into a Poser-native file, it begs the question as to why g vendors can't do this (although to be fair, one of them DOES make native PCFs).

3. You are also going to need a thorough understanding of the mess that is the DS file system - unless you don't mind dealing with base figures that take 400Mb of ram - as opposed to setting the same figure up to only need 80Mb of ram. Or if you don't mind your child characters having every gens morph and boob morph that your adult figures have.

4. There are a limited amount of characters - It amuses me to no end to point out that the SM G2 line (Simon, Sydney, etc) had more characters created for them than DAZ managed for either of the first 2 g figures life-cycle. (I counted).

5. A fair portion of the g characters are simply rehashes of gen4 characters. It is the same with clothing - some clothing goes all the way back to P6 Jessi/Victoria 3 timeframe. A good example of this is Mech Girl for g3 - I have the A3 version. Or some of dx30's shoes. I give shoes a pass - due to rigging, you pretty much do have to buy new shoes for each figure.

6. Most of the new clothing being made for the g figures are simply not well made - they lack functionality (movement morphs) that Poser users took for granted back in the gen3 timeframe. IMO, high texture jpgs do not compensate for suit jackets that doesn't button (actually modeled as an open, unbuttoned jacket), pants, skirts, and dresses that lack sitting morphs, etc. OTOH, it is child's play to use dynamic clothing with a g figure (just like any other figure). With a bit of patience, you can use the fitting room with g figures also - although I prefer using the cloth room.

With the g figures, DAZ is actually moving backwards to how things were back during the gen3 lifecycle. I don't view that as progress. I am sure vendors like it - they can retrofit clothing they have modeled for legacy figures & turn around and sell it again at a much higher price (Mech girl example MSRP - A3 version $9.95 - g3 version - $19.95). Much easier than making new content from scratch.

Bottom line - if you want to use g figures in Poser, you are going to have to learn the ins and outs of both programs. No more Load, Conform, Make Art for you.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 4:36 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, profanity

ssgbryan you make quantum physics sound simple

hborre guilty as charged ;) Foreigner. Dirty White Boy.

scottl best advice ,use the tools made for the app.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 5:21 PM

" There are a limited amount of characters - It amuses me to no end to point out that the SM G2 line (Simon, Sydney, etc) had more characters created for them than DAZ managed for either of the first 2 g figures life-cycle. (I counted)."

You are only counting Daz "Originals".

Dariofish's alien and creature morphs for G1/G2 alone FAR outstrips the number of sci fi/fantasy morphs for simon&Sydney .

I actually agree that it is not worth the effort for poser but there ways to make it happen and people want genesis so I say let them decide for themselves.

My website

YouTube Channel

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 6:47 PM

wolf359 posted at 7:44PM Tue, 22 March 2016 - #4262117

" There are a limited amount of characters - It amuses me to no end to point out that the SM G2 line (Simon, Sydney, etc) had more characters created for them than DAZ managed for either of the first 2 g figures life-cycle. (I counted)."

You are only counting Daz "Originals".

Dariofish's alien and creature morphs for G1/G2 alone FAR outstrips the number of sci fi/fantasy morphs for simon&Sydney .

I actually agree that it is not worth the effort for poser but there ways to make it happen and people want genesis so I say let them decide for themselves.

Exactly. I'm not how spreading false information about genesis helps the OP questions about genesis. Ssybryan's comments boarders on the misbehaving part of the TOS again.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 7:46 PM

RorrKonn posted at 4:51PM Tue, 22 March 2016 - #4262104

Well, that is what happens when you have spent a decade developing educational products for a living - you learn how to break things down into simple digestible chunks. It really isn't hard - each step is simple, you just have to do a number of them in sequence. I ended up building a check list to make sure I got everything. Oh, and spending 6 months actually trying out what works and what doesn't work. Many failures before success.

Even making sense of the mess that is the DS file system isn't hard - it is simply the amount of work you have to do to bring order to the file structure - DS 4.x is way too vendor-centric - the end user pretty much has to remember which vendor made which product, because not only is every product hidden away inside a vendor ego folder, but add-ons and such have no mention of what base product they go with. Add in that DAZ changed how they wanted stuff sorted between DS 4.0 and 4.5 and you have a recipe for disaster. Worst case scenario example is the Mad Nurse for genesis 1 & genesis 2. It is a great product, but lord, they do make it hard to use. The add-ons for the products are all over the place.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 8:02 PM

ssgbryan posted at 8:50PM Tue, 22 March 2016 - #4262140

RorrKonn posted at 4:51PM Tue, 22 March 2016 - #4262104

Well, that is what happens when you have spent a decade developing educational products for a living - you learn how to break things down into simple digestible chunks. It really isn't hard - each step is simple, you just have to do a number of them in sequence. I ended up building a check list to make sure I got everything. Oh, and spending 6 months actually trying out what works and what doesn't work. Many failures before success.

Even making sense of the mess that is the DS file system isn't hard - it is simply the amount of work you have to do to bring order to the file structure - DS 4.x is way too vendor-centric - the end user pretty much has to remember which vendor made which product, because not only is every product hidden away inside a vendor ego folder, but add-ons and such have no mention of what base product they go with. Add in that DAZ changed how they wanted stuff sorted between DS 4.0 and 4.5 and you have a recipe for disaster. Worst case scenario example is the Mad Nurse for genesis 1 & genesis 2. It is a great product, but lord, they do make it hard to use. The add-ons for the products are all over the place.

1. How exactly is the mad nurse hard to use?

2. How exactly was things sorted between 4.0 and 4.5? I think this needs a bit of clarification on your part.

3. As far as vendor centric.. you do know that people know items more from who made it rather than the name? In this regard the name of the folders make sense and groups items by the vendor rather than have the customer figure out the name of the item among many products. So your assertion about vendor ego is really incorrect.

In short, none of what you stated has nothing to do with what the OP is asking. And this has been the problem in the forum for years where someone asks a question and it gets derailed with misinformation and bias and nothing is ever resolved.

That said, as DSON isn't really supported officially in Poser as of Genesis 3, you would do better with other poser native figures for Poser, or use genesis in DS. I would doubt the DSON importer will not be updated any further, so you will need to take that in account in case any windows updates or poser service packs affects the running of the importer. If you try to the Genesis 3 in poser script, that will not be officially supported, so you will have limited support using that as well.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 9:21 PM

ssgbryan One day I'm going to right a book about how to model characters ,one day in the distant future ,if I live long enough ;)

Male_M3dia Of all the things wrong with this forum .eBots is #1.This forum is a ghost town.

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2016 at 12:27 AM

I tried using G3 male in Poser after following instructions. No problems except the material settings in DS cannot cross over to Poser, so you're pretty much stuck with just the figure and clothes meshes, although posable.

Eternal Hobbyist

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.