Wed, Sep 18, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 2:29 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Current State of the Question re GPUs—Please get me up to speed

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2017 at 3:06 PM · edited Thu, 12 September 2024 at 3:01 PM

I last upgraded my system at the end of 2012, and at the time it seemed nVidia was the only real choice GPU wise. Even at that, though, GPU rendering was limited in various ways compared to CPU rendering.

Anyway, I'm presently contemplating my GPU, and was wondering what the current state of things is. Here are a few questions:

1. Is nVidia still the better choice for Poser users? (I'm contemplating the GTX 1060.)
  2. What disadvantages does GPU currently offer versus CPU?
  3. Any thoughts of the benefits of a 6GB vs 3GB version of the video card?

Anything else relevant to the current GPU situation would also be welcome.

For what it's worth, my current GPU is a GTX 550 Ti.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

raven ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2017 at 3:40 PM · edited Tue, 17 January 2017 at 3:41 PM

GPU rendering is a Poser 11 Pro only feature and is currently limited to Nvidia cards only.

Some aspects of rendering may not always be available using a GPU (until later SR releases GPU didn't support displacement for example) or results may not be comparable to CPU rendering. Volume rendering I believe is one of the things that should be better with CPU rendering.

The scene has to fit into the memory of the card when rendering using GPU so the more memory a graphics card has, the better, so a 6gb one would definitely be better than a 3gb one.

I'm currently using a 6gb GTX980ti.

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2017 at 3:48 PM

Thanks. Definitely important to know it's still Nvidia only! Looking more & more like the 1060 is the best option.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

raven ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2017 at 3:54 PM

This thread over at the SmithMicro forums (the later pages especially) has more info on the newer graphics cards.

superfly test scene thread

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.