Wed, Sep 18, 11:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Hair Room Revisited

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2017 at 10:45 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 4:15 PM

I periodically like to post something about Poser's Hair Room, in part because I think it has some great possibilities, and in part because it needs some serious work and I want Smith Micro to know there are a number of us out here using it and it would be worthwhile improving it. It seems everything else gets attention, but not the Hair Room. (I won't repeat the feature requests here; there are numerous threads elsewhere. But more usability would certainly get more users on board, and generate better results.)

Here are a few things of varying quality I've been working on in the past few days.

FemaleRightPartMidLength1701714b.jpgFemaleRightPartLong170717c-VisTrans_0001.pngshortBob01-170717b_0001.png

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2017 at 10:49 AM

FWIW, the hairstyles above reflect two different approaches to groups. The shorter bob at the bottom only uses two groups on the skullcap, which is simpler in many ways, although it can have its own challenges. (In this case, I missed working on the lower hair in front of the ears, so it's sticking pretty much straight out. Don't know why it didn't drape more though.)

The upper two share a skullcap base that has ten groups.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2017 at 1:41 PM

These are some great renders and this is a good thread for everyone to share their thoughts and samples for the Hair room!!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

tonyvilters ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2017 at 2:50 PM

You can "style" the hairs with magnets, then spawn morphs from the magnets results. This has been the closest to a comb that I could get. (and it works great)

dnstuefloten ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2017 at 3:45 PM

I believe you can use the Poser wind machine to make an animation of her hair blowing about her face. Has anyone tried that?

Poser Pro 2014

My personal website: Novels, photos, video, sculptures and more
Evidence of a Lost City: An animated movie and novel, in progress
Hag: A novel and live-action movie

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2017 at 4:28 PM
Site Admin

I like these images. I found except for a few simple sort styles, multiple groups are easiest to work with, providing you are careful with the sides of each group.

One of the easiest methods I've found is very tedious. It's a good time binge watch your favorite series that doesn't need eyeballs glued to the screen the whole time. Start with very short hair. Using the styling tool, select a few strands at the bottom of the group (or where ever the under side of the style is.) Turn off the constrain length and with the translate tool (on the style tools) drag the end of the hair the direction you want to so you are almost drawing lines. You'll need multiple viewports open and at least one will probably need to be front, back or from the sides to make sure you don't pull the hairs the wrong way.

Here are my settings. Some are affected by poser units. Mine are set to inches. The marked settings are the ones that matter for this. The kink can be changed to something else once the styling is done. Decide on vertexes at the start because in some versions of poser the hair will go haywire if you change the vertexes and you'll have to start over. p11 seems to have fixed this.

settings.JPG

Here is a quick group part way done for a sample. Sometimes you can select rows, as shown, other times, you may need to work strand by strand at least until you get the end of strands together. If I were going to finish this, I'd probably make all the strand ends the same length and then work with all of them.

hair 1.JPG

Be careful not to miss any strands. Poser does not like extream length changes. This has one short strand in the middle.

hair 3.JPG

And this is just a populated version of the first sample.

hair 2.JPG

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 6:44 AM

dnstuefloten posted at 6:43AM Wed, 19 July 2017 - #4310124

I believe you can use the Poser wind machine to make an animation of her hair blowing about her face. Has anyone tried that?

Yes you can. Windforce works with hair and cloth.

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 12:21 PM

dnstuefloten posted at 12:20PM Wed, 19 July 2017 - #4310124

Yes, it works great, although I haven't done it in a while.

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 12:22 PM

RedPhantom, thanks for the technique tips. I always got the impression that using the styling tools was hit or miss, so have been wary of trying to "grow" the hair that way. Am going to have to give that a shot.

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 12:58 PM · edited Wed, 19 July 2017 at 1:05 PM

RedPhantom, do you have a problem with the Hair Room flyaway bug with that method? I'm really getting frustrated with that issue. I have no apparent flyaways, but save the hair and open it, and there's hair all over. Go back to the original file and it's ruined. It happens repeatedly....

EDIT: Hm, I've never tested this before, but it appears the flyaways may only appear in preview. Which is pretty weird.... May need to test this.

EDIT #2: Double hmm. Doesn't show up in raytrace preview either. Very interesting....

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 1:12 PM

For those who may not know what I'm talking about regarding "flyaways." As you can see in the main preview, there is hair flying off to the left … an issue going back several versions. But as you can see, it's not reflected in the Raytrace Preview, and apparently not the render.

Screen Shot 07-19-17 at 01.09 PM.png

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 1:26 PM

tonyvilters posted at 1:25PM Wed, 19 July 2017 - #4310116

You can "style" the hairs with magnets, then spawn morphs from the magnets results. This has been the closest to a comb that I could get. (and it works great)

Thanks, Tony. I've done very little work with magnets. Do you select the hair group in the Pose room and use the magnet there?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 1:28 PM
Site Admin

Yes, I do have a problem with the flyaways. And I've reported it. They were stumped and apparently still are. They do show up in renders. That's how I usually discover them because they don't show up if your population isn't checked. I do see them in your raytrace preview. They are faint because of the hair color. If you darken the hair you'll see them more.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2017 at 1:38 PM · edited Wed, 19 July 2017 at 1:41 PM

dnstuefloten posted at 1:37PM Wed, 19 July 2017 - #4310124

LINK: Here's a gallery example of using Poser's wind force that I did a few years ago.

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2017 at 5:34 PM

LongRight01-170719c-Scene_0001.png Well, this isn't quite what I was hoping to achieve with that long hair. My density at top left section is too high, and the bangs don't satisfy me. And yes, as RedPhantom said, the flyaways do render. :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.