Fri, Sep 20, 2:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: File compression

chris1972 ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2017 at 6:55 AM ยท edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 5:46 PM

Can someone tell me if a folder of targa or png files when zipped will compress as much as creating a jpg in the first place. Just to clarify, I know jpgs dont compress well when zipped as they are already compressed. I other words if I uploaded my zipped files as pngs or targas could I fit the same amount of files in roughly the same space as if they were jpegs

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2017 at 8:16 AM

Generally speaking, no.

png and tga are lossless file formats, whereas a jpeg gets it's higher compression ratio by omitting minute details in the picture information. Depending on the amount of compression this can be from hard to notice to obvious.

Packing them in a rar or zip file will compress the png and tga files where possible, but it will keep thee data 100% intact.

Archiving jpg which are already compressed to the maximum and reduced in file size due to the compression ratio of the jpg will result in near zero extra compression.

So you'll always get larger archives when they contain png or tga files.

HTH

Karina

chris1972 ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2017 at 8:22 AM

thanks, Im saving out my texture files, but haven't purchased a zipping program yet.

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2017 at 9:16 AM

Try 7zip: http://www.7-zip.org

It can read and write an impressive amount of archive types, and it's free.

chris1972 ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2017 at 9:19 AM

thanks,I'll check it out

ironsoul ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 12:46 AM

If you're using Windows then select files, right click, send to, send to compressed folder can produce a zip but I agree 7zip is a great utility to have for this purpose. Re JPEG vs PNG, don't forget impact on image quality, for text clarity and line art PNG can be more effective than JPG

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 9:34 AM

7Zip all the way, baby.

Why bother with jpg now everyone has terabytes of storage? If it's a product requirement, yes, but for personal use, stick with png.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.