Sun, Oct 6, 6:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 1 man/woman

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 9:47 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 1:08 PM

for you old timers, was the poser 1 mand and woman the same as the Poser 2 figures? I seem to remember they were different. There used to be a P1 man and woman within Poser 10 and below, if I remember correctly, but not in P11, at least I cannot find them in P11

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Jules53757 ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 10:22 AM

My oldest version is Poser 2 so I have no idea about the Poser 1 man/woman.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 11:43 AM

There are differences, but I'm at work so i can't open Poser to load both sets of figures for comparison.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 1:58 PM

Redfern posted at 1:58PM Thu, 15 March 2018 - #4326141

There are differences, but I'm at work so i can't open Poser to load both sets of figures for comparison.

Sincerely,

Bill

when you look ..what version of Poser are you using?

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 2:08 PM

Poser Pro 2014.

THat much I can answer at the office.

Sincerely,

Bill

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 3:38 PM

I believe there is a difference ... but my oldest runtime is Poser 4 and it only goes back to Poser 2 figures. But ... if I recall a forum post from 20 years ago, and of course I probably don't recall all the details. The Poser 1 figures didn't have detailed faces ... the hands were more like gloves and didn't have a pose setting. and the Poser 1 figures didn't have as much rigging. There was more, but again, 20 years ago. And because of that, I could also be totally off.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 6:40 PM · edited Thu, 15 March 2018 at 6:44 PM

I can't run Poser 4 any more without faffing about with virtual machines, but in my installation (which is more or less 'out of the box') the Poser 1 figures are, counter-intuitively, in the character:Poser 2Lo library. Their geometries are in maleOrig and femaleOrig and yes, they are different to the Poser 2 people. The Poser 1 man has all of 2997 polygons. 8)

Clipboard01.jpg

(Edited to add screen shot from Kawecki's PropViewer - and a nudity tag, LOL)

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 8:03 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

P1-n-P2-Figs-J-2.jpg

As English Bob noted, the Poser 1 figures are located in a folder labeled "Poser 2 Lo".

In this lineup from left to right we have the Poser 1 male, the Poser 2 Lo male, the Poser 2 Hi male, the Poser 1 female, the Poser 2 Lo female and finally the Poser 2 Hi female. The P1 figures use texture and bump maps to imply muscularity whereas the P2 Hi male actually has enough geometry to to convey muscle groups. All of the figures here employ "switching geometry" to achieve hand poses rather than having joints along the individual digits.

Sincerely,

Bill

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 10:59 PM

Under Poser Pro 11 content, Poser originals CR2 folder, see Poser 2 Lo sub-sub Folder. you can get Poser 1 Man.

Eternal Hobbyist

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 3:04 AM

I loaded them up last night, after reading this. Makes you wonder how Poser ever got off the ground, looking at the early figures. I'd have taken one look and thought "Sheesh! My cat could do better than that."

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 9:18 AM

SamTherapy posted at 9:13AM Fri, 16 March 2018 - #4326180

I loaded them up last night, after reading this. Makes you wonder how Poser ever got off the ground, looking at the early figures. I'd have taken one look and thought "Sheesh! My cat could do better than that."

yes, thats where i was kind of going with my question. the reason Poser came into existence was as an artists tool/subject ... the evolution has been tremendous. Do you think Larry Weinberg envisioned it becoming what it now is?

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 9:21 AM

EnglishBob posted at 9:20AM Fri, 16 March 2018 - #4326161

I can't run Poser 4 any more without faffing about with virtual machines, but in my installation (which is more or less 'out of the box') the Poser 1 figures are, counter-intuitively, in the character:Poser 2Lo library. Their geometries are in maleOrig and femaleOrig and yes, they are different to the Poser 2 people. The Poser 1 man has all of 2997 polygons. 8)

Clipboard01.jpg

(Edited to add screen shot from Kawecki's PropViewer - and a nudity tag, LOL)

thanks :) ..yes, I see them. I thought they were gone forever.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 9:42 AM

Dave-So posted at 2:40PM Fri, 16 March 2018 - #4326190

SamTherapy posted at 9:13AM Fri, 16 March 2018 - #4326180

yes, thats where i was kind of going with my question. the reason Poser came into existence was as an artists tool/subject ... the evolution has been tremendous. Do you think Larry Weinberg envisioned it becoming what it now is?

Nope, I don't think he did. Even as an artists' tool it was limited, since the figures were significantly worse looking than any lay figure out there. It's a good thing so many different people saw potential and continued to improve and innovate.

My Store

My Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 9:42 AM

i dont remember any textures or anything for P1 figures ... Its hard to remember way back 20+ years ago ... I think it was Poser 4 that really got momentum with free items , actually here, or it was the other site PFO, that became this one, that really started the ball rolling. my history is fading.

Redfern ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 10:05 AM

Looking at the lineup again, in comparison to the others, the "Poser 2 Hi" male doesn't look too bad. He has enough polygons to depict muscle groups and seems to be reasonably proportioned. Sad that the Poser 2 Hi female kinda' falls short. Besides the switching geometry hands, the faces can not open their mouths or display any expression. (I think the eyes are "frozen", too, but I'm at the office again, so I can't verify.)

The next revolution would come with Poser 3 when Zygote supplied the primary figures. Finally, they would have hands with finger joints and faces with moving eyes and opening mouths. When Poser 4 introduced "transparencies" which allowed figures to wear something besides "helmet" hair, things really took off. It was early 2000 when I purchased P4 and a critical service release had ironed out some really frustrating "bugs".

Sincerely,

Bill

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 10:17 AM

i really love the history of Poser, and DAZ .

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 3:25 PM

Dave-So posted at 8:23PM Fri, 16 March 2018 - #4326198

i really love the history of Poser, and DAZ .

Me too. It's amazing how far they came from Poser's humble origins. To use an overworked phrase, we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

My Store

My Gallery

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2018 at 9:30 PM
Site Admin

I just used the clothed version several of these guys in a render. I needed a group of people and these were all low poly so it was easier on my computer. Since the scene was dark and shown from behind them, the quality didn't matter as much. I will admit I didn't use the poser 1 people.

50 A Date.jpg

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2018 at 6:52 PM

Yikes! The males look like Neanderthals and the females look like Martians!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2018 at 1:22 AM · edited Sun, 18 March 2018 at 1:26 AM

The PC's where very small crashed all the time n those where about the first 3d commercial characters ever made.we have made it a long way since then. they where for 2D Artist reference still better then the wood dude.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

shante ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2018 at 3:43 PM

From what I recall it was never intended to be a stand-alone way to do art but rather to create posed figures to give the new digital painters a layer template upon which to for their painted art. It caught on while Zygote was still the to go place for amateur Poser stuff but seeing the potential of using it as a stand-alone animation and rendering too especially to export into Bryce which was popular as was RayDream Designer. It took off from there as more and more people saw the potential for amateurs to get into 3D arts relatively cheap and easy and Zygote turned to DAZ and helped the market along at a great pace giving us better content than Poser had out of the box! I hated the Poser 4 figures look and unable to get images I really liked deinstalled the app. But when DAZ released Millenium1 figures especially Vicky 1 I happily went back to it and have been squatting there ever since, my wallet a perennial captive of DAZ! That is of course until DAZ forgot who put them on the damn map and went their own way leaving Poser and loyal long time Poser users in the dust. Good business for them but not so good for us. For a while Renderosity has been offering good Poser content but I see the trend as I saw it with DAZ of more and more product for D/S and less and less for Poser.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2018 at 5:02 PM

That is of course until DAZ forgot who put them on the damn >map and went their own way leaving Poser and loyal long time >Poser users in the dust. Good business for them but not so good >for us. For a while Renderosity has been offering good Poser >content but I see the trend as I saw it with DAZ of more and more >product for D/S and less and less for Poser.

Lets not leave out that period when posers future was in doubt and being passed to different owners.

Also from a business model perspective in general ,trying build a future for your 3D content company based on the continued existance of ONE single closed format counter party is a fools gambit.

My animation program Iclone Pro, Supports Daz genesis Figurs natively for import & animation

However Reallusion( the makers of Iclone Pro) wisely decided to stop being depenedant on Daz for high quality figures and have developed their own native figures and content market with their Character creator program.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2921923

Innovate or Die thats the reality

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.