Wed, Sep 18, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Layers in VWD

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2018 at 10:09 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 4:06 AM

Hello,

Many cloth simulators use layer to manage their simulations.

VWD uses other methods to simulation multi layers clothes.

Do you think it would be useful to have the ability to define several layers for a clothe?

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

kwan ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2018 at 4:26 PM

I would like to see layers implemented. How would the layers interact though, will on layer still have be defined as a collision? I have also been curious about how to simulate tight clothes like a long glove or sliding down an arm, or like long socks sliding down to the ankle. When I tried in VWD the socks do not remain close to the leg, the cloth starts to just fold over at the top of the sock opening instead of gathering tightly as it slides down to the ankle. It would be useful to have a feature that allows cloth to gather tightly with several smaller folds all the way around, for things like gloves or socks or turtleneck sweater, or even being able to pull tights up on a leg past the calves up to the knee. Just curious if it is possible.

Kwan

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2018 at 10:46 AM

Hello Kwan,

I never tried to pull tights or socks up with VWD.

I will do a test and I will give the result.

Gérald

kwan ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2018 at 4:05 PM

Gérald Actually I was curious about pulling the tight socks or gloves down. If I just try to let gravity pull the socks down to the ankle the opening of the socks starts to fold over from the top instead of staying tighter allowing the fabric to gather in small bulges all the way around as it is push down. It would be similar to the way pleats maintain their shape if they are pressed together. I was wondering if the tighter socks or gloves could start to form the folds (looking like tight compressed pleats) as it pushed down by a collision object such as a hand. I know VWD can do almost anything so I was just curious.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2018 at 3:16 PM

Hello kwan,

Did you make some tests with the Dynamic deformation (Shift key)?

Writers_Block ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2018 at 12:13 PM

Layers might be more intuitive for folks. I tend to avoid them if I can.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2018 at 2:30 PM

For now, I don't know if I will implement this function.

I think there are others functions to implement before this one.

Writers_Block ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2018 at 2:46 PM

agree. :)

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2018 at 10:47 PM

I would love layers, if possible.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2018 at 2:47 PM

Hello,

I think I found the solution for the layers: Each layer will create a new collision object. Making that, the modifications will be not too hard.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2018 at 9:56 PM

That’s great!!!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2018 at 4:16 PM

I would like to ask you a question about the layers. A layer system allows to simulate the X layers at the same time. I started to make this development. I have a problem because the program uses the normals to manage the collisions. When a clothe becomes a collision actor. Some clothes react badly because some normals, close to the free edges, generate instabilities. It is simple to manage this situation when you can use all the VWD functions to manage the vertices. If all the layers are simulated together, this vertices management becomes very hard to do.

My question is: Would it be useful to separate the clothes in several OBJ files. This solution will allow to create complex simulations and can also be used to modify a clothe before a simulation. The disadvantage of this solution is that it requires to make several simulations to finalize the project.

My question is perhaps not precise enough. Feel free to ask me other details if this is not clear enough.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2018 at 3:04 AM

Hi Gerard,

Yes, that sounds useful to me. This is similar to what I’ve done with VWD before to create “layers.” Would this method work with animations?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2018 at 4:29 PM

Yes, the first part of the clothe can be simulated using the character animation. The other parts can be simulated using the character animation and the previous parts simulations. My answer corresponds to your question?

Smaker1 ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2018 at 7:13 AM

Hello Gerald

I need sometimes to split the clothe in different parts: clothe too heavy ..... For that I used the geometry editor in DS4. Are you talking about an internal tool in VWD?

If we must do several simulations for splitted objects, is not the layer possibility loosing interest?

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 2:04PM Fri, 29 June 2018 - #4332421

I would like to ask you a question about the layers. A layer system allows to simulate the X layers at the same time. I started to make this development. I have a problem because the program uses the normals to manage the collisions. When a clothe becomes a collision actor. Some clothes react badly because some normals, close to the free edges, generate instabilities. It is simple to manage this situation when you can use all the VWD functions to manage the vertices. If all the layers are simulated together, this vertices management becomes very hard to do.

My question is: Would it be useful to separate the clothes in several OBJ files. This solution will allow to create complex simulations and can also be used to modify a clothe before a simulation. The disadvantage of this solution is that it requires to make several simulations to finalize the project.

My question is perhaps not precise enough. Feel free to ask me other details if this is not clear enough.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2018 at 5:59 AM

Hello Stef,

Yes, you are right but It is a choice to define. I can write a layer system which allows to make the simulation in one time but with perhaps the possibility to have some defaults linked to normals at the free edges. Or I can write a cutting system which allows to use all the features included in VWD to make a good simulation in two passes. Or I can write the two methods, of course 😀

Not now, but when the VWD Patreon project will be started. I will include a Tab for the cloth modification and eventually generation. This cutting function could be the first function of this feature.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2018 at 4:02 PM

The function allowing to separate a clothe in 2 parts works correctly now.

You can select some vertices on the actor and the actor is cut depending this selection. In Daz studio, this actor appears as before, but it is composed of two parts (Actor_cut1 and Actor_cut2).

Tell me if you want that I make a simple demo.

itou31 ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2018 at 4:46 AM

Hi Gérald, Just let you know that I'm still following your posts (either on the forum or youtube). I'm not testing much VWD GPU version, as I'm on anothers projects. So no feedback. But this function will be usefull. thanks

Smaker1 ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2018 at 2:01 AM

I completely trust you about what would be the best 😃 !

Does the trouble mainly concern animation or is it also apparent for still render? For still render: does some smoothing (Zbrush) on the simulated clothe enough to make the problem disappear?

Have a good WE

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:54AM Fri, 06 July 2018 - #4332510

Hello Stef,

Yes, you are right but It is a choice to define. I can write a layer system which allows to make the simulation in one time but with perhaps the possibility to have some defaults linked to normals at the free edges. Or I can write a cutting system which allows to use all the features included in VWD to make a good simulation in two passes. Or I can write the two methods, of course 😀

Not now, but when the VWD Patreon project will be started. I will include a Tab for the cloth modification and eventually generation. This cutting function could be the first function of this feature.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2018 at 1:02 PM

@itou31: No problem. The time is not a problem. I will receive your feedbacks with pleasure when you will be able to send them to me.

@Smaker1: I think I will add the two functions (cutting and layers). The cutting system allows to generate many kinds of simulations, the layers is more limited but it allows to solve the problem in only one simulation. The issue with the layers can appear when the free edges of the clothe are not flat (when there is a hem for example).

3DFineries ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2018 at 12:52 PM · edited Wed, 11 July 2018 at 12:53 PM

I'm all for layers. Poser allows for different cloth areas to work independently & I think this would make a great addition to VWD! It'd be great when working with multi layered skirts!

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2018 at 2:21 PM

Hello Lynn,

You are right, the multi layers system will allow to create complex simulations in one time. I certainly will write it soon. For now, the cutting system was easier to write and allows to do the same things, but in several simulations.

Have a creative day too, Lynn.

Gérald

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.