Mon, Oct 21, 10:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 9:34 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Seperating "cap" from uv sphere

MeInOhio ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2018 at 8:27 PM · edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 9:21 AM

I am trying to follow a tutorial. I create a UV sphere. I rotate it so the poles are left to right. In edit and wireframe mode, I select one of the poles plus four of the neighboring loops. Then I shift + D duplicate and move it away from the sphere. Then I press P and choose selection. Then when I press enter, the poles get deleted. On the part I separated as well as the sphere and then every time I try to create a new sphere, it gets created without any poles. And the only way I can create a sphere with poles is to close blender and re-open it. I thought I was pressing a key somewhere that I didn't mean to, but I've done it so many times that I'm sure I'm not. So what am I doing wrong. How do I copy part of a sphere, separate it and keep the poles.

I suppose I could create two spheres in object mode and then delete the part I don't need.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2018 at 8:34 PM

Okay, I just discovered that if I switch out of edit mode then the caps (poles) are still there. It just looks like the poles have been deleted in edit mode for some reason that I don't understand. Maybe that's just how it works.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2018 at 9:53 AM
Forum Moderator

Hello MeInOhio First which version of Blender are you using is it the latest and which tutorial are you following sometimes that helps us determine what step you might be missing or if due to a version update sometimes what is easily visible or done one way in a previous version a new step might be needed in the current version. When ever you do a "P" and choose by selection the new selection becomes it's own new object and to work on it you have to go into object mode and then back into edit mode. it can be a bit confusing till you have done it a few times and then it becomes second nature I know I still forgot that myself often.I look forward to your reply and hopefully be able to help you further

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2018 at 10:31 AM

Hi, Lobo3433

This is the tutorial I am following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7fgeQC1WI&list=PLzmyR17f55-LVbgnzhS4Xl9zJ3dSCdYW3&index=15

It the first few minutes where I have the problem. You are suppose to select the end of the UV sphere (one of the poles) and duplicate and then separate the new object from the clock base. After I choose "P" and then choose "Selection", the poles and the surrounding triangles all disappear on the new part and the original sphere. I have found that they are still there, if I switch to object mode.

Once they disappear, if I try adding a new sphere, the poles will appear to be missing in edit mode. It looks like there are holes at opposite ends of the sphere. Could the normals be inverted for some reason?

I have Blender 2.79 installed.

If I close Blender and then re-open, the uv sphere will have poles but as soon as I go through the process of creating (I can't remember if it's the clock face or the the glass lens that covers the face, but it's the first one they have you do) the duplicate and press "P" to separate, the poles will disappear again.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2018 at 1:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Hello MeInOhio

OK I did the same thing and see what you mean that the poles seem to disappear when you the "P" and then by selection the poles do seem to disappear and when you follow and select the selection in object mode and then go to edit mode the poles do show up again on the one your working on and they still seem to be gone from the original sphere. But if you go back to object mode and click on the original and then go into edit mode if you are still in wire frame you will see the poles they are not missing or gone. He is using Blender 2.66 several things have changed in Cycles render since then many improvements I have several version of Blender installed and seems the same thing seems to happens while in wire frame shading if you go back to solid shading you should see the poles I am not sure why this is the way it is while in wireframe but they are there. Tutor4U does many good tutorials I have watched many of his

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

MeInOhio ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2018 at 11:09 AM

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, Lobo3433. At least I know I'm not crazy. I was concerned at first that they were really gone and I needed them, but I didn't know how to recreate them.

Thanks again. I like the Tutor4U tutorials. And the ones by Blender Guru.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2018 at 12:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Another great tutorial maker is CG Masters they also have a YouTube channel and they also have tutorials that they sell that are truly worth the price and they often have great sales here is their YouTube channel I highly recommend them https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCxay0KiyLlawfgoZ2mVnNQ

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.