Sun, Oct 6, 6:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: PoserDirect is closing down

mrsparky ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2018 at 5:30 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 3:11 PM

After 10 years of running PoserDirect and running Sparkyworld since 2001, I won't be renewing the hosting for PD this year. So around the 19th of October 2018, Poserdirect will be closing down.

Obviously, respecting the rules here, won’t be discussing anything commercial, there’s info on the site about that. But I can say it for a while it will affect the over 300 freebies that are stored there (it stores the ones on Sparkyworld and some for R'osity) . Over time I will be adding the freebies to other 3D/Poser sites, but that won't be a quick process

Why ? We've recently had the bereavement of a close family member. Dealing with this, and increased hours as a carer, has meant I've not been able to give the site & content creation the time it (and the 3D community) deserve.

On an artistic level, "Traditional" Poser imagery just isn't tickling my artistic funnybone anymore. Instead, when time permits, I'm getting greater pleasure when using 3D in convergence with other materials, such as 3D printing, card, clay or wood.

Paypal and Googles (understandable) insistence on SSL is also an issue on technical and financial levels. Browsers and search engines are starting to flag websites without as insecure. Plus some hosts charge as much for the SSL certification as they do for the hosting! Many, like my current one, don’t allow the likes of services such as LetsEncrypt. Which after a funeral bill, doesn’t help.

So grab some goodies while you can and finally thanks for using the sites over the last 17 years. Though it’s not a total goodbye, I will be still around here and other places.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2018 at 6:13 AM

Condolences to you and your family on the passing of your loved one.

Thank you for your wonderful and sometimes wacky creations. I know that I will miss your store. Glad you will not disappear totally into the ethereal.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2018 at 7:34 AM

Sincere condolences, mate.

Many thanks for your generosity and creativity over the years. Don't be a stranger - well, stranger than you are ;) - but always put your needs in RL first. I'll send you a PM in the next few days; something to consider if you're up for it.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2018 at 10:49 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one, but Sam's right, RL comes first, and thanks from me as well for your creativity and generosity all these years.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Kazam561 ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2018 at 4:11 PM

My deepest and very sincere condolenses. Sorry to hear about the closing but totally understandable given the events and real life.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

putrdude ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2018 at 6:45 PM

My condolences to your and your family.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2018 at 4:01 AM

Thanks everyone, yea gotta admit this year hasn't been the greatest, actually at times just plain surreal. For instance as any brit knows, we've had a heat wave for months - something brits don't do - we need rain. It's traditional :)
Then yesterday we got hit by flashflooding - fortunately only the garage that some of us in this apartment block uses to store/make stuff in, (luckily we keep things up high), but still had to spend the evening making sandbags and clearing up. So later on I will come back to this thread with some thoughts.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2018 at 1:21 PM

My condolences to you Mr. Sparky. And as Miss B can tell you, the 3DContentDirectory has just been bitten by the same SSL snake. Fortunately, Dreamhost does provide Let's Encrypt, but if they ever force me to pay for the top Certificate, I may have to find some way to monetize the site in order to pay for keeping it up myself.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2018 at 10:32 PM

Once again thanks everyone for your support and sympathay, it actually means a lot.

As for the questions and thoughts some of you have, sorry if I miss anyone out and if this is the same post on most sites. Just got off a 14 hour shift and I'm fried. So excuse the virtual dribbling :)

Bascially the plan is, stuff the commercial side of things come October, but the freebies are something thats important to a lot of you out there. I hear that and I'm going to talk to various people to see if we can come with some ideas so that the majority can be saved. Possibly enmass.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2018 at 3:58 PM

Condolences my friend on your loss and white healing light to you and yours. Take care!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2018 at 4:24 PM

Dude... that sucks; I wish you luck and condolences. It's been a long ride.

Torquinox ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2018 at 10:24 AM

Awful turn of events. Condolences.

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2018 at 7:54 PM

Thanks everyone. Yea 2018 hasn't been our greatest year, but I figure once the roller coaster of life goes down it can only go back up. So I;m hoping we can do something in the future.

jartz ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2018 at 11:53 PM

Condolences. I hope that 2019 will be better for you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

cschell ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2018 at 2:34 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2018 at 2:35 PM

My deepest sympathies my friend... I know we've not spoken much in some time, but I will always value the help that I got from people like you and BeyondVR when I was just starting out. I've enjoyed working with you as I have... My best to you and yours and my sincere condolences!

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2018 at 9:29 PM

Thanks Chris - yea there's been a lot of good people in poserdom over the years who've worked to make the concept of community a reality.

Indeed Mary at Fantasy Attic (sorry can't post URL as it has a store) has kindly offered to host the PD freebies (PD also hosts the ones on sparkyworld). Which is great news as it means the freebies can carry on going. She's certainly interested in yours as well. If you IM I'll give you her email.

cschell ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2018 at 9:48 AM · edited Mon, 27 August 2018 at 9:55 AM

Sadly most everyone I know has either already left or is leaving... and the community is a lowly shadow of what it used to be. I am very happy to hear that Fantasy Attic is willing to host your freebies, it'd be a shame to lose it all from the community!

hmatienzo ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2018 at 9:22 PM

My condolences and I hope the future brings you better times! Thank you for your generosity - such a treasure cove you gave away there!

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2018 at 4:58 AM

Chris: Yea things are way different from when I started, which was originally under an different name, seemed to be lot more communal. Then either P3 Or P4 was the new kid on the block so we needed to share things, so maybe technological improvement isn't always a good thing.

hmatienzo: thanks and hope you enjoy them. I'm also intending to make good use of those contributions by some of what's raised for a community workshop. Then if there's anything left over I hope to get Mum a small headstone. Churchyards are strange places, really strict rules about sizes and who supply things like that. So not cheap, but sometimes you gotta do the right thing.

cschell ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2018 at 4:58 PM · edited Tue, 28 August 2018 at 5:00 PM

Way different now than it was when I started out back with DS 1.5 and an old copy of Poser 4, hard to believe it's already been 9 years since I started making content (and over 10 since I first started tinkering in this stuff)!

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2018 at 8:44 PM · edited Tue, 28 August 2018 at 8:48 PM

P2 - courtesy of a magazine cover disc - and those really weird figures was where I came in poserwise. Though I'd been doing CG before on the Atari ST. Did try to find some of the P2 stuff on my external, without luck, but did find some Atari - Degas Elite all 16 colours and done on a TV! 320x200px according to Google.

atari.jpg

At work we had a monochrome ST monitor, so it was stuff like this....

line.jpg

...wasn't Degas, Maybe GemPaint ?

I also found this...

bigc.jpg

...Yep that's one of the 1st ever versions of sparkyworld! The links where to some of my 1st community and commercial sites. Sites done after dropping out of uni. The uni I was at reckoned the web side of the internet would never take off, instead they insisted we all learn ADA and high end calculus. Which I failed royally :)
Though I did return to a different much nicer place and get the degree in the end.

So anyone else got any old/classics they'd like to share ?

cschell ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2018 at 9:10 PM

My very first digital art (2D not 3D) was in Deluxe Paint and Microsoft Paint, back when Windows was still a DOS command prompt program on the 286 and 386 PC's back in the day...

mrsparky ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2018 at 6:08 PM

Update: My host has given an short extension (20th-21st October). Site will close Monday and be "parked". So please grab any freebies etc that you want this weekend.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 21 October 2018 at 8:11 PM

The site is now closed. Future undecided as yet. Won't deny well f**ked off right now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.