Wed, Oct 2, 9:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: 2018 Holiday Contest!

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 10:44 AM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 9:22 PM

It's time to get into the Holiday spirit with one of Renderosity's most anticipated events of the year. Our Holiday Creative Contest is now open for submissions. We look forward to your participation and wish you all a happy and safe Holiday Season!

This year's theme is: The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Are you ready? We can't wait to see your interpretation of this year's theme!

Please click the appropriate category link below for more details.

3D Category

Animation Category

2D Category

Photography Category

Writers Category

Here are some important dates regarding the contest:

Open for Submissions: Wednesday, November 14th

Submissions deadline: Monday, December 17th @ 10am (cdt)

Community Voting begins: Wednesday, December 19th

Community Voting ends: Friday, December 28th @ 10am (cdt)

Winners Announced: Wednesday, January 2nd

erock3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 11:40 AM · edited Wed, 14 November 2018 at 11:43 AM

In the rules it states "Given the nature of this years theme, any submission depicting violence will be disqualified."

Seeing as this years theme includes ghosts though, I'm wondering if this statement is correct.

I did notice that there were other errors in the rules, like an entry submission deadline of October 2016.

EDIT: These were under the specifications section.

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 2:11 PM · edited Wed, 14 November 2018 at 2:44 PM

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will update that area to Monday, December 17th, 2018. We apologize for any confusion it may have caused.

In Renderosity's TOS violence in gallery images must be tagged. Contest entries do not allow for tagging. Any entries depicting violence will be disqualified. We would like to keep this holiday seasons contest violence free.

erock3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 3:09 PM

So then an image such as this would still be acceptable then?

thumb_4bbd56e7f3331f313ec9695529569b14.jpg

erock3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 6:03 PM

One more question. The specs for the Animation Category states "Max file size is 50MB." I'm hoping this is an error. My Cutscene Animation contest entry was only 15 seconds long, but had a .mp4 file size of 29MB. It was 1080p at 24FPS. The previous two contests allowed for a file size of 1.5GB.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 7:26 PM
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

This time we have a Mod in each area of the contest, and I'll be the Mod over-watching the whole thing, along with doing the writers and animation contests. I'll check on the file size for clarification. The main problem we had with videos during the Halloween contest was making sure they were H.264 encoded. I was using a free encoder found at http://www.h264encoder.com/ and using that to fix video submissions. If you have any problems, site mail me, we will get it fixed, whatever the problem is. Hiccups will happen, that's normal, just don't get frustrated. Contact the Mod of the contest area you are uploading to first, but if they don't have the answer, contact me.

Together we can make this the best contest ever.

Remember, no violence images or writing allowed in this contest. And of course it would be natural for your first thought to be of Charles Dickens stories. But, Renderosity has some of the best artists in the world, so think outside the box. My first thought when I saw the theme was - huh? ghosts?. But then my imagination kicked in and I realized the word ghost could be a synonym. And my imagination shot off like an arrow. Anyway, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Oh, and please don't wait until the last minute.

Okay then, you all rock and are awesome. Go get it 'em, Team Rendo!

(P.S. I was told to be motivational. Was that good? Are you motivated? I can find myself some Pom Poms if you like. 🐺)

n7223.jpg

n1661912.jpg

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

erock3d ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 8:06 PM

So more Elf or A Christmas Story... less Krampus or Die Hard. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2018 at 9:02 PM

Renderosity has been more lenient in the past with violence in entries during Halloween. We apologize for any confusion past contests may cause. Contest guidelines may differ from previous years.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:21 AM · edited Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:22 AM

I'd also look on the warning of avoiding copyright infringement given in the poser forum announcement.

Given that Boz died in 1870, the book is rather much public domain... Some clarification is required.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:42 AM · edited Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:48 AM
Site Admin

The works of Charles Dickens are public domain. The book A Chrismas Carol is public domain. The Sketches by Boz is public domain.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:47 AM

So the warning of not breaking the copyright of a Christmas Carol in the poser forum.....?

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:49 AM
Site Admin

What Boni meant was we don't want the contest to be just an Ode to Charles Dickens. Think outside the box, produce something original, derivatives of the stories are fine if they have your twist on them. The contest doesn't necessarily mean 'ghosts', it can mean memories, the past, something forgotten, something remembered, something that was, or something that could have been.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:51 AM · edited Thu, 15 November 2018 at 10:53 AM

So ignore one of the most beloved Christmas tales ever?

I'm out. I kinda respect the work, having read it several times... I as well as everyone else will think of Dickens first and foremost.

So no way I can not think of it. So... No. Most will see that contest title and think Dickens. Its almost impossible not to!

The classic Alister Simms turn as scrooge for instance....

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 11:00 AM
Site Admin

I didn't say you can't do an image of the story, if that is what you want to do. I mentioned in a post above that because of the theme title it is only natural to think of Charles Dickens (my personal favorite writer of all time). I also am trying to explain that when the theme title was selected, it wasn't meant to be an exclusive Charles Dickens theme, but one of interpretation and creativity beyond the stories of Charles Dickens. You many create art in any way you like.

CHMedia ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 12:21 PM

MagnusGreel posted at 12:19PM Thu, 15 November 2018 - #4339902

I'd also look on the warning of avoiding copyright infringement given in the poser forum announcement.

Given that Boz died in 1870, the book is rather much public domain... Some clarification is required.

Any works in the public domain is fair game. I believe there are a few films that are in the public domain as well.

A Christmas Carol (1910)

Scrooge 1935

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 12:38 PM

Keep these rules in mind:

No Violence

No Copyright violations of the Christmas Carol

No Late Submissions Approved

No 3D art in the 2D Category

Read the full list of rules carefully

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2928763

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 12:40 PM

hence the posts. (the whole other matter of confusion about what the contest is about aside) it looks like Renderosity considers it under copyright...

CHMedia ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2018 at 12:43 PM · edited Thu, 15 November 2018 at 12:44 PM

We apologize for the confusion and will retract that statement. We do believe that a few films are still copyrighted.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2018 at 7:10 AM
Site Admin

while the book and even some movies are in the public domain, the movie has been redone more recently and those particular works are still copyrighted. Be careful not to make your image look too much like a scene from one of those.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

poisinivy ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2018 at 12:07 PM

Just out of my curiosity has the 1st place winner of the Halloween contest heard from smithmicro about the poser 11 software that was suppose to be award as a prize to us? I have not heard from Smithmicro or BorisFX about the continuum subscriptions either which was one of the other prizes. all the other prizes have been awarded within the first few days accept the poser 11 and continuum. I mean its has been 4 weeks since the Halloween contest has been over I have contacted everyone i know how to contact about it so that is why i posted my question here. . Thanks for any advice in advance.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2018 at 1:03 PM
Site Admin

@poisinivy I've notified Admin, we'll get you an answer on that.

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2018 at 1:14 PM

PoisinIvy,

We will reach out to the Sponsors again on your behalf. We apologize for the delay. They will contact you directly with more information.

poisinivy ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2018 at 8:21 AM · edited Mon, 03 December 2018 at 8:22 AM

Hi CH I did get a email from Borisfx last week and they gave me the continuum prize, But I still have not heard anything from smithmicro about poser 11 Did the first place winner hear anything from them either about getting poser pro 11? is smithmicro still in business? lol is is kind of usual that they take so long to hear from them?

CHMedia ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2018 at 10:01 AM

Hello Ivy,

I want to inform that we are working on this. The Marketing Manager has reached out to them as well to ensure this matter gets resolved.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sat, 08 December 2018 at 12:57 AM
Site Admin

Hey everyone. We had a few pendings in 3D sit for a few days, sorry about the hiccup, we had one of our Contest Moderators fall ill, (prayers and best wishes for his quick recovery). We've covered down on 3D and the train is back on the track. I've sent site mail out to those that need minor fixes, please check your site mail if your entry isn't showing yet.

Remember, You MUST include a description in the blank field to tell what type of software you used, what inspired you and how long it took to create the image.

Thanks everyone, and have a great day.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.