Wed, Sep 18, 2:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Use strand-based hair in VWD

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2019 at 3:34 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:42 AM

Hello,

The new hair created in Daz Studio seems to be very interesting and very realistic.

Daz3d made the choice to not allow the use of dynamics for them except for these sold at their store.

I made some simple tests and it is posible to simulate these hair. Currently, these simulations are partly manual but I think it is possible to automate this process.

There are a lot of things to do before the end of September and I don't know if this large work is a priority or not. I need to have your opinion to take a decision.

I will do a video showing the result in the coming days. I am not a hair creator, I will generate a very simple test. Just to see the possible results.

Gérald

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

Leonides02 ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2019 at 6:06 PM

Hi Gerald -

I believe this is a key feature, and I think you'd lure many new customers if you can come up with a semi-easy solution to simulate the strand hair. I'm very interested to see what you can do!

Sepiasiren ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2019 at 4:37 AM

I would love to see if we can do this as well...

tulipe ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2019 at 10:41 AM

Very interesting!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2019 at 3:20 PM · edited Mon, 08 July 2019 at 3:22 PM

Hello,

I made some simple tests by using a reduced number of strands but with a large size and a specific transparency texture, the result seems interesting. This feature allows to create easily you own hair.

The importation is automatic, the simulation is fast enough. The results is not a full strand hair simulation but you can work on a base mesh and render with a high-res mesh. Another advantage, there is no modification in the program.

Please, tell me if you would be interested by this feature.

Sepiasiren ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2019 at 2:58 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 2:58AM Sun, 14 July 2019 - #4356484

Hello,

I made some simple tests by using a reduced number of strands but with a large size and a specific transparency texture, the result seems interesting. This feature allows to create easily you own hair.

The importation is automatic, the simulation is fast enough. The results is not a full strand hair simulation but you can work on a base mesh and render with a high-res mesh. Another advantage, there is no modification in the program.

Yeah I think it would be a cool option to have :-)

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2019 at 8:38 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:37PM Sun, 14 July 2019 - #4356484

Hello,

Hell yes!!! That's really cool, Gerald. Can you tell us how?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2019 at 4:07 PM

Hello Leonides02, I have to stabilize the method. The "New animation" has been corrected.

Hello Sepiasiren: About the materials and the simulation when you reopen a daz file, did you see the help written by Dan in the Forum. There is also a video which shows the process. Did you manage to convert G2F animations to G8F?

Sepiasiren ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2019 at 4:52 PM

Hey you--yep I am working at getting the animation for G3 and G8 now thank you so much!!! I think I just saw Dan's suggestions -- will try this next time I drape in VWD...BIG HUGS! A

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2019 at 7:13 PM

Hello,

Since several weeks, I wanted to make a test with Stands based hair with a complex pose.

Here is the result: not perfect but I think the program will able to generate great renders using this method soon. A little bit sexy, sorry!!!

Genesis8 with Strands based hair.jpg

Leonides02 ( ) posted Wed, 04 September 2019 at 12:41 PM

This looks fantastic!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2019 at 4:07 PM

Hello Leonides02,

Excuse me to reply so late, I am not at home.

Thank you for your comment. The results become better at each render but I have to find the best settings for the hair creation and for the hair material.

I think the results will be very good for animations as already shown in YouTube,but also for the still images in a few weeks I will do a tutorial to explain this.

Thank you to all.

movida ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 2:51 PM

Better late than never :) VWD your render is stunning

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 6:20 PM

Thank you movida,

I sent a tutorial on YouTube that I had to remove. I will redo this tutorial as soon as possible.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 4:33 PM

Oh no! Why did it have to be removed??

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:28 PM

Hello Leonides02,

I cannot say why, sorry! But I promize you to redo it soon. Give me two or three days.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2019 at 5:07 PM · edited Tue, 08 October 2019 at 5:15 PM

Hello,

I give the link to a new Strand based hair tutorial. I don't want to post this tutorial in YouTube. This tutorial is not good because I made it quickly and the vertices selection for the base could be better (larger). The goal of this tutorial is to show the different methods to generate the strand based hair and how to simulate it. The new hair selection included in the hair assistant allows also to make a selection on hair without cap.

Please, be indulgent and try to see, in this tutorial, a help to create and simulation this kind of hair which seems me very interesting. Personally, I want to study them and find the best settings for the generations and the simulations.

Please, tell me if this helps you.

Gérald

Here is the link.

GiraffeStudios ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 5:02 AM

Interesting video! Thanks for posting that. I didn't know about the Mays key for fixing the collisions before running the simulation; that will come in handy.

On the other hand; using such thick hair strands to save on vertices defeats the purpose of using strand based hair in the first place. But it is a step in the good direction; good luck with that!

Leonides02 ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 8:51 PM

Thank you so much for (re)posting this, Gérald.

This helped me a great deal. I'm going to do a test as soon as I'm able.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2019 at 3:08 PM

Hello Leonides02, for now, it is difficult to find the best settings for the simulations. I certainly will continue to work on this and perhaps I will find a better method to mesh these hair.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.