Wed, Sep 18, 11:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Looking for Tutorials, Tips, Tricks for Making Clothes

willdial ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 9:06 AM · edited Thu, 12 September 2024 at 7:13 PM

Since vendor are not making the clothes I want for the figures I use, I'm going to have to do it myself. Now, we're all in trouble. I see three main areas: Modeling, Texturing, and Rigging. Since I am experienced in all but three of those areas, I need help.

I'm looking for tutorials, tip, tricks, and software recommendations. Anything help will be appreciated.

As of writing this, Marvelous Designer 9 is on sale. How good is it to make clothes for Poser figures?

Thank you in advance

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 11:32 AM

Hi willdial, welcome to the world of creation. Honestly, if you've never done any sewing in real life, MD might be a bit overwhelming for you to start off with.

First, which modeler do you plan to use so we can find you some good tutorials to get you started on modeling?

But, let's talk about the creation process a little.

First, there's the modeling process. I would suggest starting with something very simple, don't worry about "beauty" as those are skills you add to the modeling process as you learn. Functional is where you want to go first.

Once you have a model, you need a UV map. Again, depending on which modeler you're using some are better than others at creating these maps and they are as vital to a successful model as the model itself. I've seen many good models ruined by bad UV mapping.

After modeling and mapping you need to group the model to the figure it's intended for. For this, I highly recommend Auto Group Editor as it's just the least painful way to accomplish this task.

So, after all that is done, you're actually at the point of rigging the clothing. I have a quick 5 minute tutorial on rigging a dress in PP2014 that you might find useful (P11 is no different, just has some added bells and whistles for rigging you'll need later) https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sj03yo1omb6p6f/WeightMappingTutorial.pdf?dl=0 but you need a created and grouped model to use this.

dlfurman ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 11:45 AM

There's the Digital Tailor stuff in the Rendo marketplace by Fugazi1968 and ironman13 as a start. Marvelous Designer seems good for the Dynamics. Jen Greenlees has some old (PoserPros?) tutorials for using Hexagon to model clothes up on Youtube.

Any modeling software should be good as long as you are familiar with it. (Blender since 2.79-80, with the interface changes seems very good and its FREE! ) Look for terrymcg on Deviantart as models the stuff he posts.

Hope this helps some.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

movida ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 12:28 PM

the Modeling with Littlefox series is very good (you have to get it at DAZ now, wait till it's on sale). Also Lyrra Madril's: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/how-to-make-clothing-for-poser-a-step-by-step-guide/112346/

Littlefox uses Modo, Lyrra uses C4D. I like these because they take you from nada to finished: modeling, grouping, boning and rigging all in 1 place without having to hunt around for the next tutorial you need.

willdial ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 1:15 PM

@Glitterati3D I have Hexagon 2.5. Also, I have done some sewing awhile ago. So MD doesn't look to overwhelming. Thanks for the tutorial. That will be helpful. Am I right in assuming that AutoGroupEditor will not chop up the geometry file like the Poser fitting room does?

@dlfurman I know that terrymcg uses Hexagon and makes really good clothes.

@movida I think I may have few of the Littlefox tutorials.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 1:47 PM · edited Sun, 08 December 2019 at 1:48 PM

willdial posted at 2:36PM Sun, 08 December 2019 - #4372742

@Glitterati3D I have Hexagon 2.5. Also, I have done some sewing awhile ago. So MD doesn't look to overwhelming. Thanks for the tutorial. That will be helpful. Am I right in assuming that AutoGroupEditor will not chop up the geometry file like the Poser fitting room does?

Well AGE will group the file (chop it up) but it does it much better than Poser's Grouping tool. I am not a fan of Poser's grouping tool at all, but you may find it useful for your purposes. This is all a discussion of the process and the tools you use will be entirely up to you.

Hexagon is not a bad modeler. I know lots of folks have real trouble with it crashing, but when I started modeling, I started with it and it was very stable for me. I moved to Silo only because Hexagon's UV mapping is just so, so awful. Silo's UV mapping tools are more modern and useful, though I still cut my maps in Silo and do the base mapping then move to UVLayout. UVL is one of those tools you'll want to consider if you find you like doing this and can justify the expense. For me, the time savings in UVL are very worth the expense - it's Shift+B and go make a cup of coffee while UVL does it 's magic.

I agree with Movida that the Littlefox tutorials are very good, but she uses C4D (I think) as her modeler and it's sometimes hard to transfer that to Hexagon if you aren't very familiar with Hexagon's toolset. The JGreenlees Hexagon tutorials are very good if they are still out there on Youtube. They may be more helpful to you to start off. Personally, I think you just can't go wrong with Littlefox anything.

Remember to start simple and you can graduate to more and more complex as your skills increase.

I have nothing against MD and think it's a great tool if you want to do dynamic clothing. All of the quad meshes I have seen from MD, though, create some really unique grouping issues for conforming clothing.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 5:01 PM

Marvelous Designer is great for**some ** clothing types However you really should Learn proper polygonal modeling.

I have been completely liberated from the Daz content hamster wheel by Acquiring modeling skills.

scaling.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

willdial ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 5:56 PM

I found I do have the Littlefox tutorials. I probably got them on sale and then forgot. She uses MODO. Also, she recommends UVLayout. So that s two votes for UVLayout. I found some Hexagon tutorials, so that will be helpful. Hexagon is stable for me, but I've only really used it for morphs.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 7:35 PM

Just remember with Hexagon, SAVE often. Instead of giving you an error if you do something wrong, it has a habit of crashing to the desktop.

dlfurman ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2019 at 7:45 PM

willdial posted at 8:44PM Sun, 08 December 2019 - #4372775

I found I do have the Littlefox tutorials. I probably got them on sale and then forgot. She uses MODO. Also, she recommends UVLayout. So that s two votes for UVLayout. I found some Hexagon tutorials, so that will be helpful. Hexagon is stable for me, but I've only really used it for morphs.

I beta tested UVLayout and it is superb!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

willdial ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 6:25 PM · edited Mon, 23 December 2019 at 6:27 PM

For those of you who are interested, I found a way to convert Genesis 3 Female clothing to Dawn, Victoria 4, Victoria 3, Stephanie Petite 3, and Aiko 3. The process has several steps and the results are not the greatest. But, it produces a grouped obj file that I've been using that to practice rigging.

Practice Demo Walk 06 Sized.jpg

The shirt is from Nikisatez's Blazer Outfit and the shorts are from Rhiannon's Hot Southern Nights (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hot-southern-nights-for-genesis-3/117630/). I still need more practice.

If you are interested, I can run through the process to convert the clothing.

movida ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 8:23 PM

I'd like to try your conversion - I'd like to convert Jade Tiger :)

willdial ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 11:11 PM

Jade Tiger will be a tough one to convert. It has a lot of extra bones. The technique uses Daz Studio's Transfer Utility and the GenX plugin. Essentially, The GenX tool copies the character morph into the clothes and the Transfer Utility to copy character's regions/groups into the clothes. Then, you have to update the base geometry. Make any corrections because the groups are not matching up.

If you are still interested, I'll create a detailed description. But, that will take a while.

movida ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 6:20 AM

OK, I'll give it a shot. The basics are enough because I don't know when I'll have time and I don't want you to waste time doing an in depth tut. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year (screw politically correct) g

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 6:30 AM
Forum Coordinator

There are a few tutorials in the Marvelous Designer forum. They were written for PE but the principle works for any figure.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 7:29 AM · edited Tue, 24 December 2019 at 7:36 AM
Forum Coordinator

I use MD only, with the MDBridge for Poser. No other apps. If I need a conformer or a hybrid I use MD9 to make the mesh and texture and process in conjunction with my 1-2-GroupIt for La Femme script. (I have a version for PE also) It groups the mesh for LaFemme with the body part groups I select in a small GUI. I can then check the grouping and fix if necessary in the group editor. The script also generates a hierarchy file that I can use to make a figure from the prop with just the bones that are needed. I then only need to copy joint zones and morphs from the dev rig to get me on the go.

This usually suffices. I usually can forego on JCM correction because I either make invisible what is inside, use the morph brush or use an end drape (1-2-Drape-it script) that runs a short cloth room sim on a unimesh copy of the posed garment to fix poke-thru and improve drape. 1-2-DrapeIt also works on existing conformers, so it is easy to mix new items with existing converted stuff.

This may not work for garments put for sale but it does the trick for my own projects.

I made this because the fitting room is poor on auto grouping and it does not allow you to modify the grouping until much later in the process with much more repair work. Also it does not separate bone generation and grouping, it exports a cut-up mesh, and is less good in morph copy.

I realize it is much personal toolkit. Not sure if it is of any help for the OP. I just wanted to illustrate a way of working between Poser and MD. I will be happy to share scripts with anyone interested but keep in mind these scripts are not ready products.

movida ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 9:07 AM

I'll give that a try shortly and thank you FVerbass :)

RobZhena ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 1:46 PM
Online Now!

willdial posted at 2:41PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374237

For those of you who are interested, I found a way to convert Genesis 3 Female clothing to Dawn, Victoria 4, Victoria 3, Stephanie Petite 3, and Aiko 3. The process has several steps and the results are not the greatest. But, it produces a grouped obj file that I've been using that to practice rigging.

Practice Demo Walk 06 Sized.jpg

The shirt is from Nikisatez's Blazer Outfit and the shorts are from Rhiannon's Hot Southern Nights (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hot-southern-nights-for-genesis-3/117630/). I still need more practice.

If you are interested, I can run through the process to convert the clothing.

Heavens! Just export an obj of each garment piece and rig it directly to the figure in the fitting room or use a similar garment as a donor rig in the Setup room. That’s fast and easy. I rig G3 and G8 clothes in Poser all the time. Now that everybody has Pro, take advantage of It! See my thread on converting clothing to La Femme.

movida ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 3:28 PM

willdial: I don't think I was real clear - don't do any type of tutorial, I can figure it out from what you posted :)

willdial ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 3:54 PM

RobZhena: Our processes are similar, I just use DS for the fitting and grouping. I use Poser for the rigging. I like your approach with Morphing Fantasy Dress as a donor rig.

willdial ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2020 at 5:55 PM

After a month with Marvelous Designer, Here is the first clothing that I made.

Render 1.jpg

I still need a lot practice and tutorials to get up to freestuff level.

It looks like her top is too tight. Every time I try to loosen it up, I get extra fabric hanging off around her armpit. If any body has a good tutorial on handling that problem, please let me know.

movida ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2020 at 10:16 PM

willdial - search the use of darts in sewing and become familiar with them. Marvelous does darts also can ask in the Marvelous Designer forum, search their online forum also

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.