Thu, Sep 19, 7:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 2:29 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: How do I disconnect the parts of a prop that appear to be separate?

willshetterly ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2019 at 5:36 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:47 PM

My previous question was answered so quickly and well that I thought I would ask a related one:

I have some props that appear to consist of separate items that load as a single prop—for example, one consists of a chair, two candleabras, and a stack of books. I would like to make them into separate items. I know I can get the effect I'm after by loading the prop several times and making different parts invisible in in the mat room, but It would be nice to separate the chair, the candleabras, and the stack of books and only load what I wanted. I am sure I did something like that in Poser several years ago, but I can't remember how.

donnena ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2019 at 8:30 PM

if you can select and move the parts of the prop (with one load) about the scene, then you can Choose say the chair and Click
Edit > Memorize > Object
then go to the prop page of the library and click the PLUS sign to save.
Be SURE to click the selection button because the default is to Select NONE
And SAVE
Otherwise, it's the same answer you got for your previous question... the Grouping tool!

;>

Andy!

willshetterly ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2019 at 11:11 PM

donnena, thanks for the info. My guess is that Poser thinks the pieces are a single prop, so it will only recognize the whole thing. I tried clicking on the chair and doing as you said, but that only made a copy of the entire prop.

Clearly, it's time for me to learn about the grouping tool. I'll poke through the manual now. Thanks for the pointer!

willshetterly ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 1:14 AM

And learning how to do what I wanted with the grouping tool turns out to be pretty easy. Being able to select by material helped enormously.

willshetterly ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 12:22 PM · edited Wed, 18 December 2019 at 12:23 PM

I had no problem separating some parts of the prop (the books and the candleabras), but the chair cushions turned black and I can't figure out why. I tried copying the cushion material of the original chair and pasting it onto the new chair prop, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Untitled.jpg

Jin_Yindao ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 1:50 PM

As in your previous post of how to create separate body parts, you can do the same here. Go to the tool of the little square with the dot in the center (the grouping tool) click on it and then look for the option that says spawn props. This will cause every group to become a separate prop. hope this answers your question

Dive into Fantasy and Ride the Waves

I have many scenes in my head, but non of those are on paper.
I have yet to learn to bring those to life.
The ones that I give life, are not those I see

donnena ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 9:44 PM

AH.. guessing here....
but open your new friend the grouping tool and select the cushions.
Assign them a new material and save.
you can use an extincting material or make up a new one.

I LOVE those chairs!! so much whimsy in them!!!

;>

Andy!

willshetterly ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2019 at 2:02 PM · edited Thu, 19 December 2019 at 2:03 PM

Jin, spawn props didn't work in this case—it just created another copy of the whole prop. But thanks for the suggestion.

donnena, I may've goofed up something, but I didn't succeed. It's no biggie—I will spend some time with the manual on the grouping tool, and I currently have a copy of the prop with the other parts made invisible, which does the job for now.

The chair is from Gumdrops: Mille Delices Dark Library, which sometimes goes on sale. I'm rescaling it for M4 and V4, which seems to work best so far by reducing some parts to 60% and others to 75%. The grouping tool has helped enormously.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2019 at 4:54 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

You don't want to use spawn prop but create prop.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

willshetterly ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2019 at 12:44 AM

RedPhantom, success! Thank you!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.