Sun, Oct 6, 6:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Normal maps?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 6:10 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:29 PM

Do I select Tangent Space or Object Space? How strong do I set 'em?

I have a bunch of stuff that uses them but nothing is connected when I import the models so I'm trying to get them to look right.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Retrowave ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 6:24 AM

Can't help you on what space to use, but I wouldn't conform my strength amount to any particular rule even if there is one. Best just to eyeball the strength, cause sometimes, when people generate the maps in the first place, they are doing so at a level they feel is correct, but often it is under less than ideal lighting, so the amount might come across as over or under emphasised when the end user follows a specific rule of thumb or whatever.

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 7:01 AM

It depends how the normal maps were made. Tangent Space normal maps can be reused on different models, while Object Space maps cannot. I would try Tangent Space first, and change if it looks wrong.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

yarp ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 7:05 AM

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but there's a Renderosity video tutorials on how to setup Normal maps in the Material room.
POSER Tutorial Lesson 15: Exteriors
I have found those video tutorials to be quite interesting. Learned a lot. Hope that helps

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 7:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the tutorials and see what I can apply.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 9:35 AM

bantha posted at 10:33AM Fri, 31 January 2020 - #4378420

It depends how the normal maps were made. Tangent Space normal maps can be reused on different models, while Object Space maps cannot. I would try Tangent Space first, and change if it looks wrong.

Tangent space normal maps are usually all blue, while object space normals are usually multi colored. Also be sure to set custom gamma to 1 for normal map

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.