Mon, Oct 21, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 9:34 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Blender by any other name???

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 15 February 2020 at 12:25 PM edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 4:04 PM

Hi Blender 2.8x has finally made Blender the respectetd 3DCC app it desereves to be.?

To me ALL previous version are now moot?

But to be honest ,the name "Blender" has always seemed a little..."Pedestrian" (not being elitist really)?

If you could hack your installation (probably allowed under the GPL)

What cool new name new powerful appelation would you give the program that people would see in your splash screen upon launch ??

My early Favorites are:

Inception3D 2.8

Neuron3D 2.8

Pulsar3D 2.8

Juggernaut3D??

Quaser3D

Carbonite3D

Hemispheres 2.8.

Intelligon 3D

Helios3D

what would you rename blender???

BLENDER ANIMAINTEFACE.png

My website

YouTube Channel

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 15 February 2020 at 2:05 PM edited Sat, 15 February 2020 at 2:06 PM

I like the name of Blender. I know Ton Roosendaal gave it that name based on some popular band in Sweden. However, I think the name fits the software itself rather perfectly in many aspects. Some of the tools and addons found in Blender were inspired by features from all sorts of different open source projects, as well as stuff found in big-name software packages back in the day. For example, Blender has some of the parametric modeling features found in 3dsmax (modifier stack workflow), some viewport and UI elements that XSI used to have, and some modeling and animation features originally found in Maya and MotionBuilder respectively. I can see workflow similarities with Blender that use bits and pieces of the best stuff from all of them! Not to mention Blender is still a package which has many different purposes. It can do 3d, 2d, video editing, material creation, sculpting, all from within one unified interface. No more need for "round-tripping" your work into half a dozen different software apps just to finish a project. Of course, I still use several apps to get jobs done, but with Blender, that's now a choice, not a necessity.

On the other hand, if I had to pick another name for it from your list, I like Inception 3d. That has a certain class to it I think.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook:聽https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 15 February 2020 at 7:36 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Lux, as my initial thought when reading Wolf389's post was, it's a great "blend" of goodies in one single piece of software.

I also like your idea of Inception3D for a new name, but I wouldn't rush to rename it any time soon. 馃槈

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Retrowave ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2020 at 2:28 AM edited Fri, 21 February 2020 at 2:33 AM

@Wolf - Regards a new name for Blender, I've had my own pet name for her for many years now, I just call her Blendie 馃槉

@Lux - Good to know where the name came from, it's something I wondered about. I always thought it might have been due to Blender being a Jack of all trades, and that the name Blender might represent the power of blending of all those things together!

@Miss B - Same 馃槃

yarp ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2020 at 6:34 AM

I like the name Blender

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2020 at 4:15 PM edited Fri, 21 February 2020 at 4:21 PM

Makes sense, a little bit of everything Blended all together. though,,,every time I search for it, I get distracted checking out all the new Blenders they have for sale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,聽 intel Xeon聽 64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000聽

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Retrowave ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2020 at 4:54 PM edited Sat, 22 February 2020 at 4:55 PM

There was a time that used to happen on YouTube all the time; searching for Blender and getting videos of bored housewives so bored out of their minds, they're waxing lyrical about the amazing RPM of their new jet-powered juice blender!

Thankfully it hardly ever happens now 馃槀

That said, if one day any one of us should ever want to see a YouTube video of an actual food blender, you can almost bet your life that the only videos to pop-up in the search results, will be about Blender!

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2020 at 8:21 PM

Retrowave posted at 8:21PM Sat, 22 February 2020 - #4381517

There was a time that used to happen on YouTube all the time; searching for Blender and getting videos of bored housewives so bored out of their minds, they're waxing lyrical about the amazing RPM of their new jet-powered juice blender!

Thankfully it hardly ever happens now 馃槀

That said, if one day any one of us should ever want to see a YouTube video of an actual food blender, you can almost bet your life that the only videos to pop-up in the search results, will be about Blender!

I always suffix the word "3d" after Blender when I'm doing a Youtube search. This usually helps filter the results from anything off-topic, like how to make a protein shake.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook:聽https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.