Sun, Sep 15, 1:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:46 pm)

Subject: How does on properly parent hair?

RAMWorks ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 11:43 AM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 6:31 PM

Hi,

I'm working with L'Homme. I loaded up a hair prop that was designed for either Genesis 1 or Michael 4, I can't remember. But it was one I liked in DAZ Studio and it had a native Poser version. Anyway, I THOUGHT I had it done but this morning when I opened up my work file for Gino the hair was all wonky fit wise so not sure what I should have done or what I should not have done to make sure when using parented hair it stays even when I pose the figure.

Do you know if anyone is working on a universal hair fitting script to get hair made for other figures to fit L'Homme?

Thanks so much Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 12:58 PM · edited Tue, 05 May 2020 at 1:05 PM
    1. Load the hair prop first of all!
    1. Next load your figure.
    1. Use the translation/scale dials of the hair prop to move is to where it belongs.
    1. Use the Morph Brush for fine adjustments
    1. Parent the hair prop to the head of your figure.
    1. Save the hair prop to your library (either as a hair prop, or even as an ordinary prop). When asked whether to save it as a smart prop, click "YES".

That should work in most cases.

K

RAMWorks ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 1:06 PM

OK, but should I have checked off the "Inherit ...." box or leave that unchecked when selecting the parent node? Also should I parent to the body or the head? I know it's head in DS but not sure how Poser works with that.

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 1:08 PM

Karina, that is the most concise workflow I've seen for this! thank you!!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2020 at 1:29 PM · edited Tue, 05 May 2020 at 1:35 PM

Sorry, editing time ran out:

Some more explanations:

The main difference in Poser between an

• ordinary prop for a hair {prop Anyname} (saved to the "props library" as a .pp2 file) and
  • a hair prop {prop figureHair Anyname} (saved to the "hair library" as an .hr2 file)

is that a {prop figureHair} sort of becomes a body part, so you can grab it with the mouse and use it to move the whole head. This won't work with a simple hair prop.

Both ways have it's advantages and flaws:

• if you load a {prop figureHair}, then modify it, and subsequently decide to try another {prop figureHair}, the previous one will be deleted and replaced with the new one - so your previous work is lost.

• If you load a hair as a simple {prop AnynameHair}, yo can try our different versions of hair without deleting the previous one.

Try what best fits your needs.

I would suggest starting with simple props first to have all options, and only after you've achieved your desired style, save it to the "Hair" library (*1).

K

(*1) Which is only necessary if you need the little extra functionality of a {prop figureHair}. My hairs nowadays are mostly saved as regular props and locked into place. . . . .

EDIT: RAMWolff and Boni did type faster than me... ** . .

@RAMWolff: DO NOT! check "Inherit bends of parent! Simply reparent it and save. That's all!

Kalypso ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2020 at 1:53 AM
Site Admin

Let me just add that if the hair happens to be a figure, that is a .cr2, you will select it's BODY and translate/scale that to position and then from your Figure menu select Set Figure Parent and parent the whole figure to the head.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2020 at 11:35 AM

Another question. I know, from my experiences that a Prop PP2 needs to be loaded with the figure zeroed out. But what about HR2 based hair? Can one have the figure posed and have the hair auto fit to the figure?

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2020 at 1:28 PM

Well, it sort of depends on how you set up the hair prop.

In 99% of cases, just follow the steps I described in my post https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2946761# pp

And as @Kalypso added (THANK YOU FOR THIS!), if it's a hair >figure<, just follow her advise!

Re. your question about a posed figure:

If you've followed the steps as described above, then it doesn't matter which pose or which xyz translation your figure is at. You only need to zero your hair and the figure >once>, which is during the initial setup. After that it doesn't matter any longer.

Just select the figure and click the hair. It will parent "avtomatisheskiy" to the head, "whereever you lay your head" ;)

K

RobZhena ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2020 at 1:36 PM

You can directly apply a hair prop (ht2, not cr2) to any figure and then use the translate tools to move it into position. The figure doesn't have to be zeroed. That only makes positioning the hair easier if you decide to parent it. I find some old hair props migrate with pose changes even when applied to the figure for which they were designed.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.