Mon, Oct 21, 9:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 16 10:04 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Sub surface scattering issue with overlapping globes

duesentrieb ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 1:13 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:39 PM

Sub surface scattering is a great thing. I use the EZSkin3 SuperFly script for all my characters and it works like a charm. Except for... Globes_SSS_Skin1_Scale1.jpg

The fact that these two globes belong to the same scatter group makes the crease too bright. Same goes for armpits and other creases by the way.

Is there a way to give these folds the dark shadows that they deserve, except for cutting the body into scatter group pieces at the joints and creases, causing an awful lot of work by remapping the whole body anew?

adp001 ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 1:35 PM

Create a mask and feed it into the SSS intensity input.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 1:36 PM

Changing your lighting and/or lighting angle might have an impact on the self glow. SSS artifact usually causes a blue effect rather than the glow you are seeing. Increase the distance between objects usually minimizes the glow but I see by this image, that might not be an option LOL. What type of lights are you using and at what intensity?

duesentrieb ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 3:54 PM · edited Mon, 07 September 2020 at 3:57 PM

adp001 posted at 3:53PM Mon, 07 September 2020 - #4398860

Create a mask and feed it into the SSS intensity input.

Sounds feasible, but creating the mask would mean a tedious work to get a perfect fit. And when you change the pose a bit it would be back to the old drawing board again.

duesentrieb ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 3:56 PM · edited Mon, 07 September 2020 at 3:57 PM

hborre posted at 3:55PM Mon, 07 September 2020 - #4398861

Changing your lighting and/or lighting angle might have an impact on the self glow. SSS artifact usually causes a blue effect rather than the glow you are seeing. Increase the distance between objects usually minimizes the glow but I see by this image, that might not be an option LOL. What type of lights are you using and at what intensity?

It doesn't really matter. If it's well lit, it glows. In the example above this is mainly an area light on the top left with 120%, 300% size at a distance of ~3 m.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 4:03 PM

Did you uncheck light emitter in the properties for the figure? It is on by default.

duesentrieb ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 4:21 PM

hborre posted at 4:16PM Mon, 07 September 2020 - #4398873

Did you uncheck light emitter in the properties for the figure? It is on by default.

Unfortunately that doesn't have any effect on the SSS crease glow. Besides it would mean losing lots of realism.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2020 at 5:50 PM · edited Mon, 07 September 2020 at 5:54 PM

Try adding an AO node it might offset the SSS effect.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 08 September 2020 at 10:12 AM

AO is not recognized in Superfly.

duesentrieb ( ) posted Wed, 09 September 2020 at 1:49 AM

It seems there is no simple solution for this problem in Poser. I guess I will continue to fix it in post-production with a multiply layer and a soft brush with dark brown tone.

Globes_SSS_Skin1_Scale1_Post.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.