Mon, Oct 7, 4:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: The cat's whiskers

PandaB5 ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 5:13 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 7:15 AM

Hello anybody reading this - I need some input.

I'm thinking of using the phrase "You are the cat's whiskers" in a prop set for the marketplace here - let's just say it's a placard on the wall or something - how familiar is it? Did this phrase make it to the USA or is it old English?

If you don't want to type a sentence - could you maybe just let me know:

Yes - it would be okay / fun.

No - it's not used / not familiar with it.

Casual games for Windows PC, browsers and Android devices
https://www.evolutionarycasualgames.com/

3Dpixi ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 5:31 AM

No - not used / not familiar with it (Netherlands)

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 6:29 AM

It is a very old phrase that is seldom used in the US depending on the region of the country.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 6:49 AM
Site Admin

Have heard it here in the US, but not often, and yes, I think of it as old. It's probably something you could get away with if it's used on some cross-stitch wall hanging if you're doing an old homey place but would look out of place in a modern apartment.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 7:16 AM

It is archaic in the US, A slang phrase coined by Thomas A. Dorgan. The phrase became popular in the U.S. in the 1920s, along with the bee's knees, the cat's whiskers (possibly from the use of these in radio crystal sets). In the 1920s the word cat was used as a term to describe the unconventional flappers from the jazz era. Personally I think it is quaint and up to you if you would like to use it.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 7:36 AM

Sounds cute but haven't heard it.

PandaB5 ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 1:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll go with something else instead, like rendering is more fun than watching cute cat videos on YouTube :-)

Casual games for Windows PC, browsers and Android devices
https://www.evolutionarycasualgames.com/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.