Wed, Oct 2, 10:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Shader nodes that changed

ChromeStar ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2020 at 12:33 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:07 PM

Can we get a list of what shader nodes changed, which ones no longer work at all, and what was added? I assume the developers have such a list. I can't even imagine getting started redoing all the superfly materials without having any idea what is different, that would just be a huge waste of time doing meaningless trial and error.

I see mentions elsewhere that Blinn, Anistotropic, and Phong nodes no longer work in Superfly. Are there others? Are there replacements? Do we need to know anything special before plugging in those replacements?

I also see some raving about a new PrincipledBdsdf. What is it, what does it do differently, is there a node it would be replacing?

What else has changed? I did check the documentation, but it appears to only discuss how things work now, with no discussion of how they changed.

I feel like I had a moderately good understanding of the firefly nodes and the PhysicalSurface node, but I am still a beginner at Cycles. So having a significant proportion of superfly materials suddenly broken is a bit of a barrier to getting anywhere, and I don't even know where to start.

unrealblue ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2020 at 11:50 PM
Online Now!

With such a list, isn't it theoretically possible to make an "update superfly shaders" script that would at least get you most of the way there, most of the time.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 7:43 AM

If you want a quick and concise explanation of all the Blender based nodes, go here: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/getting_started/index.html. In most cases, you will get an example of how to use node in a set up.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 9:56 AM

Thanks. It's not obvious (to me anyway) that you would look under Rendering to find Shaders, but that's where it is. Direct link: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/shader/index.html

Here's PrincipledBDSF: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/shader/principled.html That's actually quite a bit more useful than the Poser documentation.

I don't see anything that addresses the question of which existing nodes changed, though. Assuming I want to fix shaders that are broken, not rebuild every single thing from scratch, we still need some tips here. Also, it would be nice to hear from the developers whether the shaders that are broken are broken for good, or things that they plan to fix in some way.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 11:12 AM

From my understanding, the developers are working on correcting anything that is broken or, at least, correct the problems that have crept into those nodes. until now, there has been no release of which nodes are problematic. If you come across something report it. If they don't know about it, it won't be addressed.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.