Sat, Aug 3, 1:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 20 8:02 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: "Cancel" Render issue?

igohigh ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2020 at 2:05 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 7:24 PM

Pardon me if this has been explained already, I don't get to forms much anymore. In Poser 11 if I use SuperFly with high settings I would let it "bake" and if I hit 'Cancel' the render would Stop and leave me with the Render at that point. Even If I begin a render and then suddenly hit Cancel (for what ever reason) the Render Library would retain the render at that point.

Now in Poser 12; if I hit Cancel at any point during the render - it All Vanishes to an empty Grey (background color) screen??

What happened - is this way it just is or is this a bug in the new render engine, or is there something about the new engine I am missing?

ghostman ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2020 at 2:11 PM

CPU or GPU rendering?

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

igohigh ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2020 at 4:27 PM

CPU Rendering. Same as I used in P11

ghostman ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2020 at 4:30 PM

I assume you did Progressive Render? I just tried this and doesn't get a grey background colour. It will show me the render.

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2020 at 10:53 PM

ghostman posted at 5:47AM Thu, 05 November 2020 - #4403311

I assume you did Progressive Render? I just tried this and doesn't get a grey background colour. It will show me the render.

Ghost, it show grey background color. (I render GPU). After a few render/cancel , i find out, when you hit to early the cancel button, before Poser finish the first Path trace sample, it did not show up any render.

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

NobbyC ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 12:38 AM

Could it be that you are rendering in the background with progressive refinement?

I have a similar problem yesterday. And got the information from the support that rendering in the background with progressive renders is currently not updating the screen until the render finishes. If you don't use progressive refinement it will update normally in background renders. This is an issue the devs are working on fixing and will likely be resolved in the next service release.

If you hit only the render button progressive refinement works and you can stop your render any time.

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 1:05 AM

NobbyC posted at 8:02AM Thu, 05 November 2020 - #4403374

Could it be that you are rendering in the background with progressive refinement?

I have a similar problem yesterday. And got the information from the support that rendering in the background with progressive renders is currently not updating the screen until the render finishes. If you don't use progressive refinement it will update normally in background renders. This is an issue the devs are working on fixing and will likely be resolved in the next service release.

If you hit only the render button progressive refinement works and you can stop your render any time.

I try both, background render and normal. Both apear grey when hit renderbutton early. I use progressive refinement . So waiting for the fix on this.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 1:30 AM

From what I have observed: rendering in a separate process means two programs running in parallel: Poser.exe and FFRender64.exe, with Poser being responsible of the application's screen. In that case, interrupting the render process seems to loose what's have already been rendered. When I uncheck "Separate process", I loose any interrupted background rendering as well, for the same reason, whatever the mode: progressive and not progressive

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

NobbyC ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 8:04 AM

TheAnimaGemini ( ) ( ) posted at 8:05AM Thu, 05 November 2020 · @4403377

I try both, background render and normal. Both apear grey when hit renderbutton early. I use progressive refinement . So waiting for the fix on this.

Sad to read this, I have this issue only when I render in the background.

NobbyC

NobbyC ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 8:04 AM

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 8:31 AM

Y-Phil posted at 3:30PM Thu, 05 November 2020 - #4403378

From what I have observed: rendering in a separate process means two programs running in parallel: Poser.exe and FFRender64.exe, with Poser being responsible of the application's screen. In that case, interrupting the render process seems to loose what's have already been rendered. When I uncheck "Separate process", I loose any interrupted background rendering as well, for the same reason, whatever the mode: progressive and not progressive

Oops... I should have written: When I check "Separate process", I loose any...

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

igohigh ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 11:11 AM

Here is a screenshot of the standard Render Settings used and you can see the Rendered windows on the Right. The Grey Boxes are ones where I hit Cancel and it did not keep the partial rendered screen. I have not used 'rendering in a separate' I have not used 'render in background'

Now I have tried various Render Settings but was not monitoring This issue, just playing and experimenting. Also, there are a few times I did get the partial render, there are a few in the Render Window, but very few and they seem to be ones where I let the render go to near end before hitting Cancel.

In P11 it always kept the render regardless how soon I hit Cancel.... I do not consider this a HUGE issue, sometimes all those partials are actually a pain to clean up....but there are times I like to have them when working with lighting or effects for comparisons. Snap1.jpg

ChromeStar ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2020 at 4:08 PM

Huh. When I click Cancel, the darn thing doesn't stop. Sometimes I can get it to pretend to stop, but the process is still running. Don't really care about the results, I just want it to stop when I say stop.

igohigh ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2020 at 4:14 PM

ChromeStar; that part is pretty normal. Depending on how memory intensive your scene is will determine how long it takes Poser to finish it's current calculation and clear memory. In other words: Put just a single prop in, use just default lights, set rendering for some Huge setting - start the render, hit cancel and it's very quick to stop. Then Load up the scene, say five La Femmes fully clothed. Now star the render and hit cancel. It will take some time to before it stops.

Currently I have one (several characters, lots of props, a few lights....it takes up to 15min to cancel out, then hangs again as I try to get back into preview screen. This is Not a P12 issue as my similar scenes are the same in P11, P10.....all way back to when Victoria and Mike first came out. Actually, I used to crash earlier versions trying to put too much in but since P11 I have been happy, no more crashing, just long hang times.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2020 at 4:27 PM

I've let it go hours after hitting cancel. Admittedly, 90% of the time I hit cancel because it's incorrectly rendering with the CPU instead of the GPU, and consequently the render itself would take many hours, but the point of hitting cancel is to stop so I can do it correctly and not waste all that time..... So I end up just killing the process in the task manager, and then restarting Poser, but that's not optimal.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2020 at 5:28 PM

I remember a time when cancelling a render used to take too much time for my taste. As I was using the "Separate Process", i was used to: 1. hit Cancel, 2. Kill the FFrender....exe using the task manager...

PhYl.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.