Mon, Sep 9, 5:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Way to organize

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 04 February 2021 at 9:06 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 11:12 PM

Does Poser have anything like categories like DS does? Where you don't have to more the products you just create a category that points to where the product actually is. I think if I actually move the files that it would then break them for DS. I use both programs.

I have tons of products that I never use because it is so hard to find them. Would be nice to organize. If there is no feature like that it would be nice idea for a future update to Poser.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 04 February 2021 at 11:17 PM

No. You have to organize stuff by putting them into folders. You can't change the locations of Textures or Geometries but library items can be moved around.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 05 February 2021 at 6:48 AM
Site Admin

There is also the favorites option. You can create catigorized shortcuts there.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

MeInOhio ( ) posted Fri, 05 February 2021 at 10:48 AM

Okay! Thanks!

ssgbryan ( ) posted Fri, 05 February 2021 at 8:49 PM

The best way to do that is developing separate runtimes, and just loading what you need. If you don't have very much content, it doesn't matter.

When you have a couple of TB of content, it matters. (Don't ask how I know this, just trust me on this.....)

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2021 at 9:04 AM

Do NOT pile everything into Poser's core run-time, that way lies madness and disaster.

My last mega-runtime was P4, its crash & partial loss --Despite 'Backups' !!-- teaching a hard lesson...

Instead, leave the C: install mostly as-is and use the 'external runtime' facility. Build stand-alone tree(s) of 'holding folders' to which you link Poser's library as required, un-link later.

Unless part of a set or series, like add-on props or textures, I un-zip / un-RAR each model's pack to its own 'holding' folder. That gets a 'meaningful' name, the zip/RAR, the pack's run-time & notes, a web-link to source, some 'editorial' pics and my nice 350x350 'folder.JPG' as a finder guide.

As appropriate, this 'holding' folder also gets OBJ/MTL or otherwise 'tamed' meshes I've 'ripped' from model PP2 or DSF, FBX, PMX, XPS etc etc...

As these 'holding' folders are self-contained, they may be moved around without a problem, re-grouped, even duplicated. ( License permitting...)

So, if you have an 'Ancient Egyptian', 'Medieval', or 'SciFi' project, is easy to gather the makings to a 'WIP' area. Also, if your model archive has grown like ruddy kudzu, is easy to split across multiple drives.

After nearly two decades of CAD and Poser, I've upwards of ~2½ TB of 'stuff' in 'holding' folders spread across three 'live' PC data-drives, one a slide-mount. They've NAS back-ups, too...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.