Tue, Oct 1, 5:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Hierarchy menu wherefor art thou

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 7:41 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 7:39 AM

Suddenly, after years, I can't get the hierarchy menu to appear. I was on an earlier version of 11 pro, but just now upgraded to 11.3.818, but the h menu simply won't show. I tried the keyboard shortcut, as well as the menu pull-down. I have everything on float, including the hierarchy menu.

Core7 PC with Windows 10 latest, Dell ultrasharp monitor 1920 x 1200.

Any suggestions?

:::::: Opera ::::::

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 7:48 PM
Forum Moderator

Go to Edit > General Preferences. On the Interface tab choose "Launch to factory state". Relaunch Poser. This will put all the palettes back in their factory locations. Once you get the palettes arranged where you like them go back to preferences and set it back to previous state. You should also set a memory dot for your favorite UI layouts.

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 7:58 PM

I think i tried that yesterday ... anyway, i just tried it again. [shocked to not see Andy as the factory setting model, but that's another story.'

I didn't work. The other windows/pallets are docked and visible, others open on command like joint editor. But I can't get the hierarchy window open, with pull down menu or keyboard shortcut

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 8:10 PM

It almost sounds like too many docked panels for the display, that would be strange though. I would consider reinstalling and rebooting the system if requested. It's an odd behavior that I never encountered on my system.

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 8:18 PM

thanks hborre, but I just installed a fresh Poser 11 and have rebooted computer. I don't have many pallets docked ... and I only docked them to try to solve this issue ... I work totally with floating windows. H-menu disappeared when floating.

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 8:28 PM

Ok, i got it. I set my monitor to a ridiculous small setting. Then, I just kept telling poser to reset to factory, and on the third try, it did so, with all the pallets docked. I guess hierarchy open is not part of factory setting ...

When I pulled down to open the H-window, it opened.

Thanks all.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 8:32 PM

YAY! Yeah, settings can be tricky with Poser especially if you are using scripts with fixed dimensions.

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 8:39 PM

So ... what happened to Andy? I mean, yeah, I know Rendo owns poser and they have their own base model, but really ... the tradition of Andy as the default model for newbies ...

is nothing sacred?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 10:03 PM

Got replaced by La Femme.

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2021 at 10:12 PM

Yes, I see that. But why? Why would you do that? The history and foundation of Poser is: pose for artists, as represented by the stick figure.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2021 at 3:47 AM

You can replace the figure with Andy or any other character and then save the scene as your preferred scene.

operaguy ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2021 at 6:30 AM

Yep. Did that.

However, still...it is shame to lose the historical tradition. And the underlying meaning of "Andy." Newcomers might say, 'why do you have that weird stick figure as the default' and that gives the opportunity to discuss how artists learn posing IRL, when studying anatomy and sculpture. Real sculpture.

We throw away values so easily in the world today.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2021 at 3:57 PM

It's not a long historical tradition: from Poser 2 through to Poser 7, the default figure was the casually clothed male of the era. I think Andy was introduced with Poser 8, but I skipped that version and can't check.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2021 at 4:06 PM

I'm referring to the historical reference in the world of art, sculpture, teaching, anatomy, movement, animation ...

The posable stick figure. It is a shame to lose that connection to the real world.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2021 at 4:27 PM

Gotcha. That is a long tradition.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2021 at 7:39 PM

The first thing I do after a fresh install of Poser is delete the default figure, and save the figureless scene as my preferred.

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2021 at 9:24 PM

randym77 posted at 9:23PM Wed, 14 April 2021 - #4416961

The first thing I do after a fresh install of Poser is delete the default figure, and save the figureless scene as my preferred.

Exactly! I've always saved an empty scene (especially without the Construct in P11) as my Startup Scene.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2021 at 3:20 AM

Did that recently too. I never work from scratch. Always loading a PZ3 and use it as a base when creating a new scene. So the quicker Poser is loading at startup the better.

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.