Sun, Oct 6, 5:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How to setup Blender thumbnails in Windows Explorer

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 1:19 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 4:37 AM

Hi, I can't figure how to setup Blender thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I install Blender manually (from zip) and override the previous installation. Deleting Blender 2.92 and extracting the 2.93 zip content.
I have enabled "Save Preview Images" option and I can see the blend thumbnails in the Blender open window.
This sued to be ok with 2.8 and I still can see the thumbnails of the files I did with 2.8 in Windows Explorer. But the files I did with 2.82 and 2.92 don't have thumbnails in Explorer although they have in Blender.
I registered Blender with Blender -R with administrator rights.
Last minute: I emptied the Windows thumbnails cache and now I don't have any thumbnail left.
Any idea ? Thanks

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 9:18 AM
Forum Moderator

OK wasn't familiar with this so went on a hunt for info and the latest I could fine that mentions something similar is this article Blender Developers forum and hope that it helps

Blender thumbnail generation for Explorer is broken in 2.9x

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 9:26 AM

Thank you Lobo. Appears to be a bug, thought it was me. I will stop bothering then. I can live with the thumbnails in the blender open dialog. At the moment...

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 9:35 AM
Forum Moderator

No bother at all Yarp from your post I learned about registering Blender when you are using the zips since I have converted my work flow to just running Blender from the zip files and not doing actual installs. I dedicated one whole drive to just my Blender zips and storing my add-ons so it is all in one location and easier to fine in general. Now that post I linked to above is from Jan so they may still be working on resolving the issue

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 10:16 AM

I decided not to use the installer either. Because there are frequent Blender updates and I prefer having the latest stable release.
The number of versions you use is impressive. I can understand you need to have consistency for your old scenes and render.

Miss B ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 11:33 AM

Lobo3433 posted at 11:32AM Sun, 06 June 2021 - #4420677

OK wasn't familiar with this so went on a hunt for info and the latest I could fine that mentions something similar is this article Blender Developers forum and hope that it helps

Blender thumbnail generation for Explorer is broken in 2.9x

Bookmarked, and will check it out. Thanks Yarp for bring this to our attention.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 12:28 PM

I think they are not in a hurry for this. As far as I can remember it has been broken since 2.82 or 2.83. Not that sure because I only seriously tried to put it back to work today after the installation of 2.93.
BlendThumb.dll is under Blender root directory. Since I unzip new versions of Blender in the same location BlendThumb.dll is always in the same directory and Windows Explorer preview should be happy with that.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 2:13 PM · edited Sun, 06 June 2021 at 2:13 PM
Forum Moderator

yarp posted at 2:10PM Sun, 06 June 2021 - #4420682

I decided not to use the installer either. Because there are frequent Blender updates and I prefer having the latest stable release.
The number of versions you use is impressive. I can understand you need to have consistency for your old scenes and render.

I keep so many because there was a time we use to get many help request in the forum for so many different versions especially when members had issues following tutorials so I kept the major releases that would give me sort of lab to replicate members issues. But I have been considering dwindling it down a tab since I think the majority of members are using either 2.79 thru 2.93 now so anything older than 2.79 might be redundant

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2021 at 2:39 PM

I see.
Blender is easier to use than it used to be. And also very popular. Most of the time when I've got a question I google it and find the answer within minutes. And also in Blender menus, (still a bit shy with shortcuts).
I have watched hundreds of video tutorials. But if don't practice you still don't know how to. You just recall it is possible to do, somehow.
Since I am not interested in doing a tutorial for a tutorial I am doing simple Poser projects and each time I am stuck I look for the answer online. Best way to learn (for me).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.