Thu, Oct 3, 12:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Character is turning silver when skin is being loaded

CassandraNorth ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 2:23 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:36 PM
Online Now!

I hope someone can explain this to me... When I load "older" characters (M4 and Dusk) their skin turns silver (it is for superfly) and I cannot figure out why. I asked a friend who has the same character and it loads normally on her end. silver.JPG

The skin renders normally but it would be nice to actually see the character the normal way.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 3:16 PM
Site Admin

That almost looks like you have the figure set to smooth shaded rather than texture shaded. Assuming that's not the case, most of Superfly's shaders don't show up well in preview mode. You might try disabling your "enable hardware shading" in the preview render settings. That might help, depending on the shader.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

CassandraNorth ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 3:22 PM
Online Now!

RedPhantom posted at 3:21PM Wed, 16 June 2021 - #4421445

That almost looks like you have the figure set to smooth shaded rather than texture shaded. Assuming that's not the case, most of Superfly's shaders don't show up well in preview mode. You might try disabling your "enable hardware shading" in the preview render settings. That might help, depending on the shader.

Figure is texture shaded. Tried disabling "enable hardware shading" with no luck :(

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 3:32 PM
Site Admin

Maybe post your preview setting and a screen shot of one of the shaders

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

CassandraNorth ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 3:43 PM
Online Now!

Here, but the thing is, his skin IS superfly. And I haven't changed ANY settings in Poser at all. Everything is default "out of the box".

M4 normal.JPG M4 is completely normal

skin.JPG Then the skin is being loaded

preview.JPG

Just to point out; it is only happening with some of the older characters.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 5:03 PM · edited Wed, 16 June 2021 at 5:06 PM

Image2.png

I have that with one of my M4 characters. His skin is cycles material and he renders just fine, but, as you can see, his clothes are invisible in spots in the preview.

Found this in the Help manual: Cycles native nodes work in SuperFly only (they will not work in FireFly) and do not preview in OpenGL.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 6:52 PM
Site Admin

Plug the diffuse color map into the diffuse color on the poser surface node. Leave its value at zero. The shader is taking its info from the alternate diffuse for the render, but the preview is looking for something in the diffuse color.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 9:12 PM

Sometimes even having a diffuse input is not enough, if the diffuse value is zero. That probably depends on the preview settings though.

CassandraNorth ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2021 at 9:48 PM
Online Now!

RedPhantom posted at 9:23PM Wed, 16 June 2021 - #4421459

Plug the diffuse color map into the diffuse color on the poser surface node. Leave its value at zero. The shader is taking its info from the alternate diffuse for the render, but the preview is looking for something in the diffuse color.

Thank you! That worked!

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2021 at 2:14 PM

VedaDalsette posted at 2:12PM Fri, 18 June 2021 - #4421450

Image2.png

I have that with one of my M4 characters. His skin is cycles material and he renders just fine, but, as you can see, his clothes are invisible in spots in the preview.

Found this in the Help manual: Cycles native nodes work in SuperFly only (they will not work in FireFly) and do not preview in OpenGL.

That's not exclusive to older figures - it's a recent bug that creeped into both P11 and P12, happens a lot with my LF and LH characters. I'm still unable to pin down exactly what causes it, but applying materials seems to make it go away and back at random. You can play with the camera's Hither dial to try to remove or reduce the issue, but sometimes it affects the render. More often than not I prefer to just ignore it, as it's only a problem in the previewer.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2021 at 2:57 PM
Site Admin

The "transparent clothes, I seem to get either from the clothes being very close to the figure, like their almost overlapping, or when I use layers in the underlying figure. I don't use layers much do I can't say it happens if they're in the clothes.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2021 at 3:04 PM

RedPhantom posted at 3:03PM Fri, 18 June 2021 - #4421566

The "transparent clothes, I seem to get either from the clothes being very close to the figure, like their almost overlapping, or when I use layers in the underlying figure. I don't use layers much do I can't say it happens if they're in the clothes.

It's happening even with the own character's face features - like the teeth showing through the lips, or the eyeballs showing through the eyelids. First thing I tried was to avoid layers, but that doesn't seem to avoid the issue (unless we're counting the eyebrow polygons as a "layer"...)

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2021 at 6:47 AM

Yes, the teeth show through, too!!! I also ignore it, too, but I have to zoom in a lot to make sure there's not real pokethrough going on when I bend elbows, for example. Weird. I don't mind the cycle mat not showing in preview but the transparency stuff is icky. Oh, well. This, like covid, will pass.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2021 at 7:07 AM

As I have written in another thread: I do love Cycles for the renders as much as I hate it to pose my characters, for those reasons. And that's why I'm using a kind of double setup.

Example for a Vic4 face: 2021-06-19_13h52_25.png

Then, using 2 simple scripts, I switch to PoserSurface while posing, and when I'm ready to render, I switch back to Cycles. The effect is immediate

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.