Wed, Sep 18, 11:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Why Don't Nodes Stay Where I Put Them in the Material Room?

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 1:15 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 3:02 PM

This has been a problem for years, but as I'm trying to perfect a very complex shader, I've had just about enough!  Why does Poser like to randomly move nodes around?  I polish off a material, work on something else, and when I return to that material, at least one node (usually the one I was last working with) has jumped a ridiculous distance away from all the others (and from where I left it).  And within a compound node, plugging in or unplugging an external input or output causes the input or output node to shoot off into left field too!  Seriously, developers, if you're listening, unless I'm doing something wrong or there's some setting that I'm not aware of, the RNM (Random Node Movement) has got to stop!  I just went back to a material I've been working on, and Poser has randomly decided to line up all the nodes along a vertical line, making it very difficult to see the flow of how my shader works!  I lose alot of time just repeatedly dragging and scrolling to bring a distant straggler back into reasonable proximity to other nodes!

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 2:21 PM

Long-lasting bug, I think. :( Likely not high on the priority list as it's far from being a showstopper bug.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 3:30 PM · edited Fri, 10 December 2021 at 3:34 PM

Kinda like the icons on the desktop... they re-arrange themselves

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 4:22 PM

I don't know why it happens, but the one free script that has saved my sanity on many an occssion is one of Structure's goodies.

Check it out, as I'm sure you'll find it handy, as there are several options --  Structure's Node Tidier

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2021 at 7:04 PM

Yep, experienced that also.  It is very annoying.  I have Structure's Node Tidier installed, it looks like I'll need to rely on it more often to organize the nodes in the Material Room.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2022 at 10:54 AM

YUP, hate that bug with a passion!  

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2022 at 1:28 PM

I didn't realize I had this script already! Thanks. Gotta start using it.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2022 at 4:00 PM

Is there a version for P11?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2022 at 5:55 PM

There was Sam, as I've been using it with Poser11.  I don't know for sure, but I've been wondering if the current version is just an "update", and not a totally new script.

Since I don't use P12 regularly . . . yet . . . I haven't had a need to try it out to see if it's totally different coding than the original version I've been using for quite a while.

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2022 at 1:33 PM

If it's a script to work with P12, I don't think it will work with previous versions of Poser.  I could try, I guess.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2022 at 5:27 PM

Ken1171_Designs also has a Python tool that will clean up nodes. It's here in the marketplace.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2022 at 7:08 PM

From what I understand, Ken1171_Designs products require internet connections which might put off some individuals from investing.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 7:52 AM

This is one of the issues that completely turned me off from using Poser. 

The bigger question is this: why does such a seriously annoying bug get no attention from the development team? I believe the answer is because they do not use the product and have no idea how painful this is.

In my work, yesterday the product management team was asking for a bunch of changes in the software to help expose the cause of various problems (in a product of another company that we bought). I pointed out that the software can't get better until the developers stop isolating themselves from the user experience.

We're now (today) forcing the developers to install and use the product. I expect that lots of extremely annoying things will suddenly get the attention they deserve.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RAMWorks ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 8:54 AM

WOW, some don't even have Poser installed on their own systems?  That's insane to me.  

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 9:41 AM
Site Admin

I"m curious what you all mean about nodes moving. I use Poser all the time and am constantly in the material room. The only node that I see moving is the external output node when using the compound node. That can get annoying, but with as few shaders as use the compound node, it doesn't seem like it's as big of a deal as what you all are talking about. So I wonder if there's something else that's going on that only happens to some people.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 10:46 AM
RAMWorks posted at 8:54 AM Wed, 19 January 2022 - #4433483

WOW, some don't even have Poser installed on their own systems?  That's insane to me.  

I didn't say that nor do I know whether they use it or not. I just think they don't use all of it or they'd notice and fix the material room. Blender makes it look lame.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 10:53 AM

I used to call it "node drift", back in Poser 5 days, RedPhantom.  Err... assuming it is still the same phenomenon.  Nodes attached to the root would gradually move up and to the right, with repeated saves of the file.  I think eventually that manifestation was reined in, but I've been seeing a rightward drift with complex materials in Poser Pro 2014, largely when I have scrolled to the right to make some modification.  I've always used an inverted selection to drag the affected nodes back into place.  Or a script.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 11:24 AM

This is just my experience but I've found that if I have a neat set up that I don't want drifting around after multiple saves (or even sometimes just exiting the material room or switching materials) If I save an mt5 of the setup and reapply it seems to make the arrangement "stick". Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for material collection files.

For scripts I use an align nodes and a Root Default pos value script that ADP made for me as a python request.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 3:40 PM

That script would be a better alternative to controlling the relative positioning of the nodes.  I wonder if that would be a practical addition to a remodified Scene Fixer for P12.

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2022 at 4:56 PM · edited Wed, 19 January 2022 at 4:56 PM

"That script would be a better alternative to controlling the relative positioning of the nodes.  I wonder if that would be a practical addition to a remodified Scene Fixer for P12."

Not sure how relevant it is to the problem at hand, it's more of a OCD type utility but it's saved me work and does what it says on the tin. Here's the original thread...

https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2963717/simple-script-request

As far as the align nodes script, I've had it for years and don't remember the original source... a script with that functionality is probably available via many sources free and paid.

Here's a screen cap of the align nodes script, which I don't think can fall under redistribution really. I actually think I got the script from a many years ago forum post. It's a very simple thing really and not sure if anyone bothered to write it if it would work in 12, I use 11.

Ee4JSPRDSu36UXYqGRHa9jHKLrwvwBQwK4rUaSGN.png

The apply as copy mt5 trick has served me well though, I have very frequently iteratively saved WIP files where the nodes are set up precisely across like shaders for the intent of potential distribution. Mostly scatter blinn variations, which can be rather elaborate with masks and such, and I haven't noticed any drift. I hate when you switch from one like material to another and there's that little jump from the node drift where it should be an exact match. I'm not saying it won't happen but it's how I've come to terms with the problem, seems to fix it.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2022 at 12:39 PM
Site Admin

For anyone interested in the script for poser 11, check out Structure's sharecg page. He has it there called tidynodes.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2022 at 12:58 PM
RedPhantom posted at 12:39 PM Fri, 21 January 2022 - #4433564

For anyone interested in the script for poser 11, check out Structure's sharecg page. He has it there called tidynodes.

Thanks, as I'm sure there are some folks still using P11 who can benefit from it.

Butterfly Dezignz

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2022 at 12:34 PM

I am still using P11, but my material setups are so minimal that I rarely ever see problems with anything shifting on me. I only plug in 2 or 3 (although up to 8 sometimes if I am using masks) nodes in at most.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2022 at 8:42 PM · edited Wed, 09 March 2022 at 8:44 PM

Sad thing to me is that no one from the development team stopped by to admit or deny the comment .

More, why not just buy node tidier outright and distribute the script for free?

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2022 at 10:14 PM · edited Wed, 09 March 2022 at 10:21 PM
EClark1894 posted at 8:42 PM Wed, 9 March 2022 - #4435714

Sad thing to me is that no one from the development team stopped by to admit or deny the comment .

Node Tider IS free Earl.  It's one of Structure's goodies.  The version here in the Free Stuff section is up-to-date for Poser 12.  I'm pretty sure Structure has the original TidyNodes version over at ShareCG.

Butterfly Dezignz

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2022 at 6:55 AM
Miss B posted at 10:14 PM Wed, 9 March 2022 - #4435721

Node Tider IS free Earl.  It's one of Structure's goodies.  The version here in the Free Stuff section is up-to-date for Poser 12.  I'm pretty sure Structure has the original TidyNodes version over at ShareCG.
Good point. Then why not distribute node tidier with Poser?

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2022 at 12:02 PM
EClark1894 posted at 6:55 AM Thu, 10 March 2022 - #4435727
Miss B posted at 10:14 PM Wed, 9 March 2022 - #4435721

Good point. Then why not distribute node tidier with Poser?
Hmmm, I don't know that it's necessary, or that Structure would consent, but perhaps a comment somewhere in the ReadMe files for new versions of Poser should mention it, as it does a really good job.

Butterfly Dezignz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.