Mon, Jul 8, 11:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 08 10:21 am)

Subject: Strand Hair Shader convert to Superfly from Firefly

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 8:21 AM · edited Wed, 03 July 2024 at 6:51 PM

Can someone show me how to convert this to Superfly? Plugging the hair nodes into the math functions isn't allowed in Superfly. And I want to be able to use this idea:

6F6Z7e36R2BbODKNie1uzn5AdddCPXSfmos6vKJs.jpg

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 9:52 AM
Online Now!

In trying to understand what the nodes are doing, I expanded the preview windows on all the nodes to get an idea of what Poser is interpreting.  The two 'illegal' hair nodes plugged into the Divide math function are creating a gradient as illustrated below:

wZ1tCtXmPxsqZJDaZyyMfD9nvS3HkAhpEFKkkwpi.png

So, this is the arrangement I created based on what would be legal for Superfly:

PhJBIgGDYn0dPDVGoBZM7rxUJBMQjG2i4H9z4OFr.png

Your control over how the gradient will behave is based on Value 2 of the Bias Color_Math node; changing the grayscale will shift the gradient up or down. 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:27 AM · edited Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:28 AM

Cool, I will give that a shot. I am only doing it on the bangs of Sydney's hair. The rest will stay blonde. My little Supergirl is a rebel in her "bad" form.

Edit: I only want two colors, so I am assuming that I would just change the color ramp to that...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:42 AM · edited Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:49 AM

I wrote this shader in answer to a question long ago - how do I get a number indicating position along the length of a hair. You might say it's the W coordinate of the UVW (3D) coordinates associated with strand-based hair.

This is a hack - I took advantage of the hair node's root vs. tip color gradation. The color coming out of this node combines that gradient with a lighting equation. By dividing that by "white" hair, the lighting is canceled out and you get simply the position along the gradient.

It is illegal to use lighting nodes as "data" for math in SuperFly, so this isn't a tactic one can use with SuperFly.

However, SuperFly has many other nodes that reveal internal coordinates that FireFly never had. Perhaps there is literally a W coordinate you can get from the strand hair.

Using the "V" coordinate won't cut it - that will color each hair uniformly, not changing from root to tip. It will just change from top to bottom on the UV map.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:49 AM · edited Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:49 AM
Online Now!

Modulate the colors in the ColorRamp through the Input value depending on what colors you want to use.  This is an example with the colors above:

KIPFIe7xB3kegTfFcgSFaIMQAhLoEIfCRowTxIWn.png

Change the colors in ColorRamp to your liking and play with the Input.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 10:51 AM

Note the color ramp was how to use that W number to make a rainbow. It has nothing to do with evaluating the W coordinate. If you only have two colors you would just directly use the root and tip color as-is.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 11:16 AM
Online Now!

I didn't notice your post, Bagginsbill, glad you chimed in.  And unfortunately, the actual HairBsdf nodes are very limited in options and a PrincipledhairBsdf node only exists in P12.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 11:28 AM

I got it to work with a little tweaking. I will post an image when I get one.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 11:33 AM

I actually tweaked the value2 of the color math node, making it darker until I got the mix I wanted in the hair. It's still not perfect, but it's closer to what I was after.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2022 at 12:14 PM · edited Fri, 07 October 2022 at 12:14 PM

Not too bad. But not perfect either. I will play with it more later.

VxMFCagiU3G0VB18IgEpV7qZzXYRedHZ3Oo33T2Q.png

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.