Sat, Aug 3, 6:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 3:43 am)

Subject: Joint editor for fitted clothing

MeInOhio ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2023 at 9:52 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 11:45 PM

Are there any tutorials that explain how to set up the joints for fitted clothing. When I fit them, they look fine in the default pose, but when posed, they start to distort. 

I found a couple online, but trying to do what they did has mixed results. 

Like with a swim suit. When you bend or move side to side, the whole area between the legs instead of just the closest edge. I'm sure it has to do with the weight mapping, I looked at the original suit I fitted and it has a green row of dots all around the edge of each leg. But the fitted clothing has some red dots inter-mixed. But the center dots are so close together, I'm not sure how to just select one side. And how do you know when you want green dots or red or none at all. (NOTE: the original clothing used those spherical joint controls.)

In one video I watched, he had a sleeve that left part of the clothing behind. He fixed it by painting the whole forearm of the garment with green dots. That case was easier since you could see where the forearm started and ended. But with a swimsuit, it's not easy to see where the left thigh ends and the hip starts when you are painted the dots. But I tried doing that and when I bent the leg, the garment was all rough instead of smooth like the original. If you use those spheres are there some guidelines that tell you where you position the green one and the red one.

Thanks.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2023 at 10:32 AM

Well I figured out that I could hide the body parts and that makes it easier to paint the points you want. And I was mistaken about the green dots. They did not go all the way around. They were only around the inner edge for the bend slider. And the rest were red, if I am remembering correctly.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2023 at 1:38 PM

Check each bulge map, not just the rotation axis.

Helps if you state which figure and which version of Poser you're using.

Weight maps on clothing usually need to be smoothed out because the geometry is different resolution than the figure.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2023 at 7:01 PM

Thanks. I am using Poser 12. (I also have Poser 11 installed as well. ) I was using L'homme and I fitted the Brief B for Michael 4 because they looked like a speedo. They fitted fine. But they crunch up when the figure is pose. Side to side pulls center points to the right or left like a jagged flag. And bend pulls them up in front as though it were a pocket. Plus the back gets all lumpy. I've been trying to edit to make it match the set up in the original clothing. Cross-hair in the same location and the same green and red points. Never thought of the bulge map. That could be why they get all bumpy. 

Funny. I actually thought a swimsuit would be easy because there's not much to it. Ha, ha!

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2023 at 9:23 AM

Underwear can be tricky because the thigh joints are so close together and there's not a lot of material/geometry to work with and it's so close to the body there's less shortcuts to get away with like there are with pants. Realistically, underwear doesn't behave the same way that pants do because it doesn't have much leg material so it pulls away from the leg in a bend instead of following along.

There's a few different ways you could go about it, just depends on the results you're looking for and how much time you're willing to invest in it.

LH has a developer's rig but it has all the JCMs included like the main figure has. You might want to make a copy of the dev rig and delete all the JCMs and save it back to the library as a blank cr2. That way you're only dealing with weight maps so it will be easier to see what is influencing each rotation. You might also want to take the briefs model directly from the geometries runtime folder into a modeling program like blender and fit it to LH manually. It will take a bit longer but you'll get a more accurate fit that way.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2023 at 2:40 PM
AmbientShade posted at 9:23 AM Wed, 25 January 2023 - #4454594

H has a developer's rig but it has all the JCMs included like the main figure has. You might want to make a copy of the dev rig and delete all the JCMs and save it back to the library as a blank cr2. That way you're only dealing with weight maps so it will be easier to see what is influencing each rotation. 

Easier yet - LH has a dial that switches JCMs off. Switch it off on him, it will switch off on conformers too - that way you can work on the weight maps first, and then switch the JCMs back on to work on them.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2023 at 3:03 PM · edited Wed, 25 January 2023 at 3:05 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 2:40 PM Wed, 25 January 2023 - #4454617

Easier yet - LH has a dial that switches JCMs off. Switch it off on him, it will switch off on conformers too - that way you can work on the weight maps first, and then switch the JCMs back on to work on them.

Yes that's an option if you're using the actual figure but it's not set up in the developer's rig. The dial exists in each body part but not in the main body actor. And you'd have to remember to scale LH back to 90% because he defaults to 110% and clothing built around that size won't align correctly.

Also, the developer's rig mesh is higher res which helps with projecting the weight maps to clothing meshes more accurately. Or at least that's how I understand the reasoning behind it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.