Wed, Sep 18, 11:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Conforming Hair Invisible When Converted and Imported from Daz Studio

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2023 at 11:59 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 11:43 AM

Does anyone know what's special about most of the more recent Daz hair items that prevents them from transferring into Poser via the process that continues to work just fine for clothing?

I'm working with Elene, a ponytail-style conforming hair figure.  I load it in Studio, turn off subdivision and set it to base resolution, convert it to TriAx weight-mapping, and export it as a CR2.  This exact procedure works great for clothing, but when I load an exported hair CR2 into Poser, it's completely invisible!  I'm not even sure if there's any rigging, and the geometry is definitely not there (I switch to mesh view just to be sure, and nothing).  I've tried importing the hair geometry separately as an OBJ and transferring the rigging from the CR2 in the Setup Room.  That just makes it invisible again.  I've tried resaving the hair as a Wearable in Studio before doing the export.  That changed nothing.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or at least an explanation for what the heck is so special about Daz hair products.  Thanks in advance!

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 5:03 AM

Not a solution, but only a thought: does this setting change anything?

EM3FZ8Kh5vtDNqUqYcMHn99iCsW2sjQqEcO2JG3I.png

If that's the case, chances are that the geometry could be "inversed" (not sure that it's the right word)

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

EVargas ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 6:02 AM

Poser’s Hair room allows you to create dynamic strand-based 3D hair. That's a Poser specific tool, I imagine DazStudio has something similar to deal with hair (?). If that's the case with the product you're using maybe that's the issue. What do you see in Daz? Trans mapped meshes?

EVargas.Art

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 11:46 AM

I exported Voss Hair for G8F to P12 using the method described above and did not experience any problems having it show up in the scene.  However, it did not conform correctly, so I had to parent it to Genesis 8's head.

Question: Is the DS library linked to P12 library and Visa-Versa?

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 2:10 PM · edited Mon, 30 January 2023 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the input, guys!  Y-Phil, forcing Poser to show backfacing polygons didn't change anything.  Evergas, if I switch to wireframe view in Studio, the hair appears in mesh form as expected.  It seems to be a very fine mesh, so I have to zoom in quite a bit to differentiate the polygons, but it appears to be mesh-based nonetheless.  Hborre, I just bought Ashendun, a G9 hair item by the same vendor as Voss.  When I try to bring that into Poser, I get a skull cap but nothing else.   Checking for a wireframe on it appears to show a very fine mesh, just like Elene.

RobZhena ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2023 at 6:10 PM
Online Now!

Is the hair fiber mesh? I've had that happen when exporting it as an obj. I no longer buy fiber mesh hair.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2023 at 6:30 PM
RobZhena posted at 6:10 PM Wed, 1 February 2023 - #4455169

Is the hair fiber mesh? I've had that happen when exporting it as an obj. I no longer buy fiber mesh hair.

According to the webpage, it is not fiber mesh hair.  

My original question went unanswered.  I remember the early days when DSON was released, some problems were attributed to no links between the DS and Poser Libraries.  That included no visible figures in the Poser scene.

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2023 at 3:54 PM

Hborre, what exactly do you mean by "linked"?  Do you mean sharing the same directory or files meant for Poser containing references to Daz files?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2023 at 4:31 PM

Linking the DAZStudio library to the Poser Library, the same way you would link any runtime folder to your most current Poser version.  That relationship has always been a two-way street.  Sometimes, DS geometry would be loaded into its runtime folder with the possibility of Poser missing it if the libraries aren't linked.  Essentially, accessing reference material.  I don't know if this is the case with your problem but I haven't had any major problems with importing figures from DS because the libraries are comingled.  

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2023 at 8:47 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2023 at 8:47 PM

Perhaps this will help. 

I typically don't install all my purchased content into the default Poser library. I have a whole bunch of different runtimes on my D drive. 

For example, I have a runtime on my D drive named D:/Content-DS-Poser. In this runtime, I put all the content that I purchased from Renderosity that can be used in both DS and Poser

On the DAZ Studio side,  I attach it as a DAZ Studio Content library, and also as a Poser Format library. Like so:

UdRNqIJLO22AOIMTBdjnqd78alSLuin6GxEC90sv.png

On the Poser side, I use the Add Library button to add it to Poser as an external library. Like so:

DtadSdmQHAhTdsOzF9uNYQHEscKm6gUiHpOSR24Y.png

The caveat about Daz Studio content is there isn't an OBJ file in the way that Poser expects to see it. Instead, there is a python script in the CR2 that makes reference to one of the files in the DAZ Studio data structure (I think ... going by memory). That's why you need to create a link between DS and Poser on both sides.

Iuvenis_Scriptor ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2023 at 4:33 PM

I'm working from a shared Runtime.  Also, if there was a linking issue, I think it would affect clothing items too, since I use the same folder for those.

Anyway, I'm making some partial progress, at least.  If I extract the rigging from the hair in DS using the "Extract donor figure" opton, export that as a CR2, load the OBJ into Poser, go into the Setup Room, and apply the rigging from the exported donor to the OBJ, the hair remains visible in Poser.  However, when conformed to the figure, at some point (it varies with the particular hair item), the mesh just breaks apart.  The part closest to the head follows the figure's pose, the rest stays put in default position.

qpEFl5y9szXcekZNCPBZ3m4PeLLnFoOMFZi0MDKl.jpg

RobZhena ( ) posted Thu, 16 February 2023 at 7:30 PM
Online Now!

What I do is rig the obj to a similar V4 hair and copy the morphs. You could do the same with your cr2 bashup.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.