Mon, Sep 9, 5:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Is It too late to ask for a Bridge to import a Scene to Blender in Poser 13

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2023 at 3:37 PM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 4:00 AM

I think the title asks the question right. Is it to late to ask Bondware for a bridge to import a scene from Poser 13 to Blender? Can it be done via Python?

vopehov506 ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2023 at 7:21 PM · edited Wed, 01 March 2023 at 7:21 PM

I Believe that you are looking for something like this? it is just a quick mirroring , but actually would not be anything really new having a bridge between poser and Blender. I usually use it in the opposite way Exporting to Blender actually also preserves all the articulation if there are any that allows you posing your Environment in Blender.

I did not convert the trans when I mirrored the scene so it is kept as a simple sample of what can already be done no matter how big your scene is.

sPz7FAVnpXXlzS6L5gx6DV8k9qy430E7LX9qe9Dg.jpg 

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2023 at 8:44 PM

No, I don't care about the figures moving once they get into Blender. I want to set up the scene in Poser, pose the figures as I like, then export the scene, minus the lights and cameras, into Blender for rendering.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 4:22 AM
EClark1894 posted at 8:44 PM Wed, 1 March 2023 - #4457351

No, I don't care about the figures moving once they get into Blender. I want to set up the scene in Poser, pose the figures as I like, then export the scene, minus the lights and cameras, into Blender for rendering.

Just like to old Poser to C4D, Max, Maya and Lightwave plugins. (Don't remember their names ;))

HartyBart ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 4:29 AM

If you just want want prettier renders, beyond what you can get with Poser's SuperFly (which is just Blender's Cycles re-branded), then you might consider Poser to Vue. That is something that has been crafted and refined over many decades. Still works with Poser 12 (see Digital Art Live magazine issue 71, August 2022), and I don't see why it wouldn't work with Poser 13 unless you're using some wild and whacky nodes in the materials. The Poser-Vue process is automatic - build the scene in Poser, open it in Vue. Also note that the latest Vue is excellent at sending the scene on to other software in their latest versions - such as Cinema 4D, Maya - and I would assume that Blender is also on the list (though of course it's more of a 'moving target' than the others).

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 6:33 AM
HartyBart posted at 4:29 AM Thu, 2 March 2023 - #4457373

If you just want want prettier renders, beyond what you can get with Poser's SuperFly (which is just Blender's Cycles re-branded), 

Exactly. This is pretty much all Poser 11, 12 and now 13 is about.
A service release, they charge you money, for what you can get for free with Blender.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 7:17 AM · edited Thu, 02 March 2023 at 7:20 AM

Poser's Superfly isn't terrible..... but yeah, Blender is better, and has several nodes that for some reason Poser never explains, is not present in Poser. To be honest, I've never had success working with FBX to get figures moving in Blender and frankly, it's time-consuming and an extra step, I don't need. Also, I've avoided Cinema 4D, Maya and view for all these years, so I don't want or need the expense and frustration of learning a new software now. Poser to Blender will do if they ever get their act together before I die.

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 9:00 AM

I would love to know more about FBX export.

When I tried it, I couldn't edit the model that ended up in Blender.

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

vopehov506 ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 9:40 AM

Joe@HFG posted at 9:00 AM Thu, 2 March 2023 - #4457383

I would love to know more about FBX export.

When I tried it, I couldn't edit the model that ended up in Blender.

FBX is not the solution at all to interact with other 3D programs like blender having the figures articulated in a correct way. Best solution is having direct support of the poser formats in blender it self and having a blender file support in Poser. For this case it would be a format support in Blender , so it is not up to the Poser tech providing such. The scene I made as a sampler with the plugin I use takes approx. 2 minutes to generate the whole scene for Blender. It creates new directory's with the textures generating a cycle of saves and conversions to end up more or less correctly into Blender. A little comparable like the DAZ To blender plugin just that it also supports complex Environments. Actually it is not a app in it self but rather a Patch convert . 3D apps do not really support triax articulations, so through the Patch the models need to be converted into Simple skin articulations in order to work. The Patch needs to consist of at least 2-3 processes in different formats to end up as supported final for Blender and such. Once the files are generated they end up in there own compatible package for Blender in this particular case.

Allot of artist think that FBX might be a solution but it is not and probably never will be, a CR2 or Pz3 support through a plugin might also be an issue due the Triax ( Poser traditional ) to simple skin conversion.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 12:24 PM

It been awhile I believe but I seem to recall SM giving money to Blender for it's development. If that's not something Bondware is continuing, then perhaps they should. Then Poser and Blender could work a little more hand in hand on development.

vopehov506 ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 1:44 PM
EClark1894 posted at 12:24 PM Thu, 2 March 2023 - #4457404

It been awhile I believe but I seem to recall SM giving money to Blender for it's development. If that's not something Bondware is continuing, then perhaps they should. Then Poser and Blender could work a little more hand in hand on development.

Might be a little problem, Poser is a brand ( Pay for Program ) Blender open source, the more poser adds from open source the less it will be a brand. Already now as most of addons are provided from private's ( Free assets ) so in this case Bondware is not the intellectual owner of this huge part. Smaple: Wardrobe Wizard, The intellectual owner decided to remove it and so it will be, not that it was not supported due the Python change as it has already been removed on PP11. Same thing could happen with all the free assets. Were Blender a part of the poser application then sure would be allot more complex as it might be considered as partnership, but how can you manage this with open source. Solution might be if a Private Blender expert would provide a Plugin for blender, but again if he tries to sell it depending if he is using the Poser format Bondware could be asking for a participation.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 6:10 PM

Poser included Cycles (albeit a bit watered down) in it's program, as well, as Bullet Physics and Cloth Simulation.

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2024 at 2:37 PM

EClark1894 posted at 6:10 PM Thu, 2 March 2023 - #4457458

Poser included Cycles (albeit a bit watered down) in it's program, as well, as Bullet Physics and Cloth Simulation.

This is because Cycles was released under a different license (Apache) than blender itself (GPL).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.