Mon, Jul 8, 3:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: To rig or parent?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2023 at 4:13 PM · edited Sun, 16 June 2024 at 9:37 PM
Site Admin

I made a set of crutches and I want the height to be adjustable both at the handle and the base. Would this be better to be done with parented props with limited movement or rigging?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2023 at 11:47 PM
Online Now!

As an end user, I think rigging it would be much simpler. Parenting stuff sounds like it might be confusing and complicating.

Could you make it a morphing prop?

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2023 at 4:38 AM · edited Mon, 21 August 2023 at 4:40 AM

I would do like this for the most flexibility.

umFSnAdct5t57uboSKYTKpEC2xPSlXDOLsCBKTJT.jpg

You make each of the highlighted parts, including the grey mesh an individual part. Then you make the red and green a child of the grey mesh, and then make the grey mesh a child of the blue handle, so it will be the controlling one. This will allow the user to adjust the red, green, grey mesh parts so it fits different characters. The green area, simply shows that if you add two extensions that go into the grey mesh they should be slightly smaller than the grey mesh so it looks like it goes into the mesh. The yellow line is just a suggestion of where you can cut the grey mesh so the green extensions are visible.

Then you set some limits for each of the parts according to how they should be able to move, hide those translations that the user shouldn't be able to adjust. (You can make the grey mesh and the blue handle as one object if you don't want that much flexibility.)

When you import it into Poser, you make sure that the crutch matches the T pose of a character (meaning it is laying horizontally) so the blue handle fits the hand as best as possible with the green handle under the shoulder, that way the user can easily move it to fit whatever character they use. Then all they have to do is to parent the blue handle to the hand.

Hope it makes sense :) It is very easy to do and use despite sounding a bit complicated. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.