Wed, Sep 18, 6:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: Creating separate grayscale and color layers in Poser Renders

GaryChildress ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 12:16 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 4:20 AM

Is there a relatively simple and easy way to render part of a poser scene in grayscale and the rest of it in color? So, for example, I'd like to render a character's clothing in grayscale while only rendering the skin and a few other props in color. I would use this picture to create two separate overlays or layers to a picture. When applied to a game that I like to play, the black and white clothing will pick up an adjustable hue, say green (for example) and apply its generice tint to the clothing while keeping the character's skin and a few chosen props in the original color. In other words, the clothing can be made to reflect different color hues while the skin and certain props will keep their original color. 

In order to accomplish this effect in the game, I need to create two renders, one render is a full render in grayscale and the other render features only those parts of the skin that aren't clothed and a few props that I want to keep in their original colors. Everything in the grayscale image will be flooded with a greenish tint or whatever tint I choose. 

I need to do this with a lot of pictures so I'm looking for an easy, less time-consuming process to do this. Preferably I'd like to make the original Poser renders that way instead of having to go into Photoshop afterward and meticulously separate colors and such.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Please visit My 3D Freebies

Thank you for your patronage!

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 1:39 PM

Unless someone can write a Python Script that could automate that procedure between different types of clothing there isn't an easy way, and without specifying which Poser version and render engine you are using, the process may be trickier.  Everything will happen in the Material Room, desaturating parts of your scene and applying a grayscale tint while other parts remain untouched.  This will make the process very tedious if you have many Material zones to change.

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 2:01 PM
Online Now!

If I understand you correctly you want to remove the color from the cloths, but keep the rest colored, correct?

The easiest way is to go into the material room and find the image nodes that have the color that is applied to the cloths.  Add a cycles>converter>separate HSV and a cycles>converter>combine HSV nodes. Take the color image map and feed that output into the separate HSV.  Take 2 of the separate outputs (H & V) and connect those into the combine HSV (H &V).  Leave the S output unconnected and on the combine HSV make sure the S value is set to 0 Zero.  Finally take the output of the combine HSV and attach it to where the color image map was going.

What this does is takes any color maps and removes the saturation basically turning anything to a grey scale.  When you render the result will be gray scale with the highlights baked in.  Easy to then tint to the color you want.

If you want to do the tinting in Poser then do the same as above except hook up the S & V together and put a color chip into the input of the H input of the combine HSV.  This will give the same amount of brightness and saturation, but change the color from a red to a blue as an example.  Multi-color maps will be turning into monochrome color, ranging from black to the color of the input chip.  So if you had a Red and Green Flag, it would become a single color such as yellow if that was the input chips value. 

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 2:38 PM
Richard60 posted at 2:01 PM Sat, 16 September 2023 - #4474676

If I understand you correctly you want to remove the color from the cloths, but keep the rest colored, correct?

The easiest way is to go into the material room and find the image nodes that have the color that is applied to the cloths.  Add a cycles>converter>separate HSV and a cycles>converter>combine HSV nodes. Take the color image map and feed that output into the separate HSV.  Take 2 of the separate outputs (H & V) and connect those into the combine HSV (H &V).  Leave the S output unconnected and on the combine HSV make sure the S value is set to 0 Zero.  Finally take the output of the combine HSV and attach it to where the color image map was going.

What this does is takes any color maps and removes the saturation basically turning anything to a grey scale.  When you render the result will be gray scale with the highlights baked in.  Easy to then tint to the color you want.

If you want to do the tinting in Poser then do the same as above except hook up the S & V together and put a color chip into the input of the H input of the combine HSV.  This will give the same amount of brightness and saturation, but change the color from a red to a blue as an example.  Multi-color maps will be turning into monochrome color, ranging from black to the color of the input chip.  So if you had a Red and Green Flag, it would become a single color such as yellow if that was the input chips value. 

Is there a notable difference with the fact to simply take the Cycles>Colors>HSV node and set its saturation down to 0?

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 3:44 PM

I took a look at both ways and there really isn't a difference in terms of grayscale representation.  It only becomes apparent when you apply a tint when adding a color chip, there is a difference in the color interpretation with the actual texture color.

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 6:08 PM
Online Now!

Take a look at the color picker.  You can choose to set the colors by using RGB and setting the values between 0-255.  Or you can choose the HSV.  H ranges between 0-239, S between 0-240 and V between 0-120.  To truly just get color tint you should only change the H value between 0-239.  You probably should take the output of the color chip and put it through a HVS separator and just take the H value.

This is part of the basis for my expandable color ramp.  To get the range of color shift that you find in Blender's color ramp you have to use the HVS combiner and separator.  

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

GaryChildress ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 11:17 AM

I use Poser 12, home edition (non-professional). 

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 12:23 PM

No such beast.  There is only one version of Poser 12.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2023 at 8:16 PM
hborre posted at 12:23 PM Mon, 18 September 2023 - #4474775

No such beast.  There is only one version of Poser 12.

I thought Poser came in two versions, Poser Pro and whatever the regular package is? But maybe I'm recalling incorrectly. It's been a while since I messed around with Poser.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2023 at 9:15 PM
Site Admin

When Bondware bought Poser they upgrade all owners to Poser 11 pro and did away with the non pro version. Having only one version they no longer called it "pro". Since then, there has only been one version

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 20 September 2023 at 6:55 AM

Thank you for the heads up.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.