Thu, Oct 10, 10:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: First post + question

Pupokalis ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 7:36 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 10:15 PM

file_181201.jpg

Hi there, I'm new to the world of 3d modelling but I've been attracted to it for a very long time, until I took the first step 2 months ago... and now I love learning the ways of the great ones :) Here is one of my bigger projects, It's like 90% finished. Can you give me some first opinions and maybe some do's and don'ts? Your help is much apreciated. ;) Pupo

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 12:01 AM

You're off to a fine start. Do what you want to show, don't do what you think is not right. You're the artist. As Ross says, there are no mistakes, only happy accidents. Click here, move there, make what you want. Learn by mistake, learn by triumph. Just learn, and share your image with others. Keep up the good work.

Pupokalis ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 7:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. I sure will share my images with others, that's what I like about this community. For myselve, I'm not yet satisfied on the image. - Look at the windos for example. It's open, but there isn't any logic in how it opened. It's just a bar in the windowframe with no means of movement. - The ashtray with the cigarette in it... the cig is hardly visible, the shadow on the tray it to bright. - Maybe the coffemug needs to be rotated to make the ear visible... or maybe not and let it lay there on "coincidence". - and the spiderweb in the corner... I think I'm using the wrong texture for it (foliage, made white and put the transperancy value up a bit). The rust on the radiator is made of foliage made brown. I never read about this technique but I'm sure it's used by many, or else theres a better way to do it :)

RimRunner ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 9:56 AM

First off, welcome to 'osity. :) There are a lot of talented people lurking behind the curtains here. ;) Now, to the image. Only one word really: Scale. The ashtray is huge compared to the depth of the desk. The open window, judging by the open area, extends into the wall beyond the frame. The water cooler, based on the size of the chair behind the desk, would require the person using it to kneel on the ground. BUT, this only applies if youre going for realism. Some of the greatest works in history are nowhere near scale. :) Overall though, its a great start! Far better then I did at first. ;)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

Amixiam ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 10:58 AM

I agree, great first start. I'd watch ambient settings, usually ambient settings set around 5.0-8.7 have a more "real" feel within an image where you are looking for realism. Sometimes ambient settings for objects that are set far apart from each other will look pasted or "odd." Other than that, I'd say you got a nice beginning. Bryan

deci6el ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 3:13 PM

Adding to Amixiam's(Bryan) reply, lower the ambient settings. Lighting can really make/break a good concept. You have a good light source coming in from the window, throwing some nice shadows in the room but with so much ambience the picture loses focus. What do you want us to look at? What story/statement do you want to make with your picture? I know they seem like the same old artsy-fartsy questions but its a good way of telling yourself what you need to do next. For example, your floor texture seems to overwhelm the picture (to me). The chair texture is too large and too strong but as an element adds a sense of mystery or danger that we just missed. Remembering that all this is just my opinion and that you could do all these things for some picture to make a certain statement (Rule #1: No Rules). The major distinction being to do them on purpose. Include the camera in that as well. If the cigarette left burning in the room is important then I would feature it better with a closer camera angle. Good luck and thanks for inviting my two cents. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.