Mon, Sep 9, 5:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Poser Models into Vue 4

MeInOhio ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 7:38 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 1:15 AM

Could someone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have Vue 4. I've only been using it for about 2 weeks tops, although I have used Bryce for several years. When I bring Michael into Vue, the hair and eyebrows, etc don't look right. I got the tutorial dealing with this off Renderosity and I've followed it, but something still seems wrong. For example, the hair looks horrible even with the transparency map loaded. It's like it isn't mapping right. The ends don't look like hair. It's like the underlying mesh is not being trimmed away by the transmap. This is what I did. I turned off cast shadows. I moved the global transparency to 100%. I checked vary transparency. I edited the function and changed it to map, then loaded the hair transparency and the result looks like a clumped up mop. Also, the eyelashes appeared incorrect as well. Now it might just have been the camera angle and the lighting, but it looked like the transparency map totally eliminated the one eyelash and the other one recieved both textures. I did run this model through VueMaster first. VueMaster did asked me some questions while it was processing the maps, and maybe I didn't answer the questions right. I'm not that familiar with VueMaster or Vue. But I also tried an obj file the other day that hadn't been processed by VueMaster and it seems like I couldn't get the map on the hair right then either. I'm not using the patch for 4.1 yet. I just downloaded it. Could that be the problem? I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong, but the hair looks a trillion times better in Bryce than it does in Vue. Any help would be apprecitated. Thanks.

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 8:34 PM

I really don't know what to tell you. I have had the same problems regarding the Michael model. Who's texture/trans maps are you using? The ones from DAZ, or others? The only thing I can say for sure is hat it works with Vicki just fine. Otherwise, all I've been able to experiment with is Syyd's "Gabriel" textures for Michael, which are the only Michael textures I have, and they aren't working. I don't know if it's a texture problem or not, but I suspect it is. Then again, Michael seems to have something different going on. Good ol' DAZ--- they think all people use to render is Poser. Again, I've tried lots of different combinations, but it seems there's something weird going on with the Michael model mapping.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 9:17 PM

I was using Syyd Raven's Max textures this time and the bangs cut hair. I'm sure the Max texture worked okay in Bryce 4. I haven't tried the bangs cut in Bryce yet. I don't remember what texture I used on the first model that wasn't processed by VueMaster. I think it was Catharina P's tomy texture. The hair was the wedge cut. The wedge cut works great in bryce. In Vue 4, the transparency seems to cut away parts of the hair that should be there and leave other parts that shouldn't be.

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 9:32 PM

Are you trying to use Vue Master with Vue 4? You might want to email Dan Wilmes about this one.

Daffy34 ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 9:53 PM

hehehe...almost sounds like you need to flip your maps...namely your trans map. If you import it by hand you need to flip it in the transmap part of the material editor by putting a - in front of the 1.00 in the y coordinate. Are you doing that? Laurie

Lynn ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 10:51 PM

You should download and install the patch (4.0.1). That could solve your problems. I believe Michaels disappearing...um...part is now available with 4.0.1. Best regards, Lynn Fredricks e-on software US Business Unit

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 9:30 AM

Hey MeInOhio, where in Ohio? I'm from the Akron area. Also, what is Vue Master? Never heard of it. I have the Vue patch. I'll try importing Michael later today and let you know.

Cheers ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 10:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.zenwareonline.com/vuemaster.htm

Hi Jackson, VueMaster allows the import of Poser scenes (via an OBJ and PZ3 file) and materials into any application that reads object .MTL files. The advantage of the Vue Poser import is that it supports transparency info, where as Poser .MTL files do not hold that information. If you own Vue 3.1 or Bryce, then VueMaster is the only way to go IMHO. http://www.zenwareonline.com/vuemaster.htm Don't let the fact that I Beta tested it sway you though ;) Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 10:29 AM

So if I have Vue 4 and don't use Bryce anymore, then I have no use for Vue Master?

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 2:55 PM

file_194418.jpg

Here's a pic of Mike rendered in Vue. Sorry about the harshness, I threw a point light right on him to illuminate the eye brows. This is a straight import--I made no changes in Vue at all (except for adding the light).

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 6:09 PM

file_194421.jpg

Here's another one with the wedge cut hair added. Again, no changes in Vue except adding a light. I stopped the render 20% through the anti-aliasing stage.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 8:06 PM

Hi Jackson, I'm from Elyria. Your renders look really great. Wish mine looked that good. I have the patch and I'll try installing it and see what happens. When you imported your model, did you export from poser as a obj file? Or did you just import the Poser file? Thanks to all who responded.

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 10:37 PM

I've heard of Elyria. Not sure where it is, though. I just saved the poser file (.pz3) and imported straight into Vue. The only thing I did in Poser was change the eyebrow material color to black.

Savage2001 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 4:41 AM

file_194422.jpg

I had to remove the bump maps, set transparancy to 100% for *both* min/max (only max didn't do it) for the eyebrows and set them to black (not white as they were). The result is in the image. It's Michael with the wedgecut, clothes from clothing pak 2 and the gun is from Joe le Geckos extractions from the game Counterstrike as is the great texture for his character Jeff 2K (which isn't finished but I was allowed to try).

MeInOhio ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 7:41 PM

Well, I installed the patch and that seemed to solve my problems. I was able to load a pz3 file and didn't do really have to do anything to Michael. While the file was loading, Vue did say that it couldn't load the bump files. That they were not a supported format or something. I know that this was due to the fact that I'm using the Poser Pro Pack. But the Poser figure seemed to look fine without them. Savage 2001: when you say you set the min/max to 100%, are you talking about those color swatches in the Transparency Channel, or something else? And Jackson, Elyria is about 50 miles West of Cleveland. And also, many of my relatives are from the AkronBarberton area. Thanks again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.