Thu, Sep 19, 9:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: How do mermaids....?

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 8:37 AM Ā· edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 4:29 AM

My other half has just come up behind me while I was looking at a pic of mermaids. He wants to know and I quote "how do mermaids pee and poo?" Does anyone have good answer for him.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

thgeisel ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 8:59 AM

Maybe they should make a seperate forum for that question....

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 9:01 AM

heyas; you can refer him to a book on fish. or buy him a guppy. then he can, er, watch. fish generally have one simple orifice for excretia, rather small, and not very fancy like some mammals.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 9:25 AM

Way I've heard it is "they have certain scales that sort of lift up", that is how they mate, too (else where do little mermaids come from?) ;-) Next question is- why do they have scales, dolpins and whales don't...

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 9:41 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_218646.gif

Oh, my, I also almost missed a chanch to stick in a mermaid pic, too! As you can see, mermaids also have problems figuring out what to do with shoes. ;-)

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 12:44 PM

Yes even I can see they would have that problem. I sympathise, I hate wearing shoes anyway, and I've got feet.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 3:51 PM

geee, I just ran down to shore and asked one, man she WACKED me upside the head! Then just swam off. Guess we'll never know...

dcort ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 7:04 PM

Well, I'm not sure about Jim's lovely mermaids, but mine... well the next ones will have... er... plumbing.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 10:14 PM

Jim Dolphins and whales don't have scales because they aren't fish, they are mammals. In the Egyptian desert there are prehistoric whales with feet! They have to lift their young to the surface to breathe, whereas fish breathe water just fine. If merfolk were related to other mammals such as dolphins, they would have that coloration AND be able to mate. If they are fishy, they'd have the glorious scales, but would lay eggs and wait for the male to fertilize them. I hope that I've saved a guppy from an untimely death. Carolly

igohigh ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2001 at 10:45 AM

Actually Carolly, I belive Merfolk are 1/2 mammal and 1/2 fish. But for young.....maybe they are like seahorse? And the males carry the young in a consealed pouch?? I only suggest this as I have never seen a Mermaid with 'strech-marks'...... Ah yes Dcort, Naga and Echidna demonstrate correct proportions (er, body assembley) of the magnificant Mythical (yet real) creatures :-)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 1:55 AM

I rather like the idea of the males carrying the young around. It would explain why mermaids are never bulky in the midsection, or droopy of breast, and have so much time for preening on rocks. :) Carolly

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 1:24 PM

When I was doing my mermaids I couldn't figure out how they should be - the smooth skinned grey colored dolphin's tail would seem to be more logical, but they are defined as "half fish", which is why they are mostly shown with scales, too, I guess. So I finally decided to cover all the options - scale or scaleless, dolphin's tail or fish tail, vertical or horizontal tail actions (that's another thing!), shark tail, goldfish tail, tails-to-be-named-at-a-later-date! One combination or the other must match real mermaids!

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 1:44 PM

Actually Jim, they are All right! Common' there is more than one ethnic background for mer-people just like there are for us land-stricken creatures. The only reason you see most as half-fish is because only a few artists have yet investigated these magnificant creatures. I forget who, but Poser has an Excellent example of a half-shark 'mermaid'. Heck even the cartoon "little mermaid' has shown us that there are half-octopus' too. Just open the mind and let the magic lead us....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.