Sat, Sep 21, 11:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:34 pm)

Subject: Crashing P4 woes!!!, please help..(again)

Glen Wilson ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 4:24 PM ยท edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 10:07 PM

I posted earlier regarding Poser keep crashing when it gets to the FFvrml.arp file. Well since then I removed it but Poser still crashes. It seems to seize up after the last plugin has initialized. This has happened since I did the 4.03 upgrade. Even installing it doesn't work. However, I havn't uninstalled beforehand as I dont want to lose all my customs and patches etc. Any suggestions anyone. (Thanks Leatherguy for your help by the way.)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 5:41 PM

Put your runtime folder someplace else (or back it up on a CD), uninstall, then install again and replace that runtime with your backup.

leather-guy ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 6:13 PM

Sorry the problems persist. Couple of more things to try; Do the filefind thing on *.arp under poser4 & see if ANY of the plugins are duplicated anywhere. Delete any older versions if found. Poser may be choking on a corrupted plugin, so fast it can't display the name before it freezes - try moving your plugin folder out of the Poser directory structure & booting it up. if it starts, that'll be a good indication it is, at least a plugin doing it. trial and error can narrow it down, then. Next thing to try is a bit more extreme, but it's what I once did, & worked out okay. Here it is; Open Win Explorer find the Poser4 folder - Right-Click on the folder & select properties. In a few moments, the total size of the Poser folder structure will display. Write that down if your explorer window doesn't show available free space at the bottom, right-click on the C:| icon for drive C & select properties again. that'll show you if you have enough space for what comes next - Compare the size of your Poser installation with the amount of freespace on the drive (or any other drives, if present) If you have enough space available, Create a PZRBkUp folder in the root drive (Or any other name you like) COPY all the folders (folders only) present in your Poser4 directory into that new folder. De-Install Poser4 completely. Take a few moments to run scandisk & optimize the drive Install Poser4 again from scratch Boot up poser to test installation, then install the 4.03 upgrade & boot up poser again to make sure it works (these will eliminate any possible hardware/driver conflicts as the cause) If poser works, create a SECOND backup folder & copy off the new folder structure there. Replace the new poser installation's folders with the original backup Bootup Poser to see if it works. If it does, all is well. If not, swap back the original folders from the second backup. (& make sure Poser starts okay again that way) Then swap back in the original backup folders one-by-one until Poser stops booting. That folder will contain the culprit! Very time-consuming - very laborious, but more likely to find any problems caused by Poser's own files. You might want to wait a day or so before trying that last suggestion, in case someone here has a simpler solution & posts it. Also; Have you reached Curious Labs Tech Support yet? They were able to answer a couple of questions I had within 2 business days in the past. - Fine folks, there. Anyway; Good Luck Again!

leather-guy ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 5:29 PM

Glen Wilson - Hi! Don't know if you ever got your problem fixed, but last night I experienced the same thing exactly! same feezeup - same message on screen - Contacted Curious Labs - they're very FAST in responding, they gave me the same suggestion I gave you, which was to backup, reinstall, restore. But I was determined to track it down, so I ran some diagnostics, & discoverey my Textures folder had grown to over 298 Gigs! - Most extrordinary, as my C:drive is only 30 Gig :-)) I knew I was on to something, so I poked around until I found a folder that was over 290Gig by itself. Somehow Windows had mis-processed a text file in my Azl-Craftsman furniture texture folder as a folder, then decided every 30 characters or so was a file name, so by the time it finished allocating one cluster to each of these not-files, it reported the huge folder size. & hundreds of superfluous entries (or maybe thousands, as windows, feeling surly & guilty about it's screwup, kept crashing as I was looking into itG) I have Norton2002, so I ran DiskDoctor 4 times & finally it stopped finding problems in that folder. There's still a zero-length file that crashes windows when I try & view,delete,copy, or otherwise deal with it, but I know how to deal with that. (Poser boots up fine, now) Anyway - Thought I'd let you know, in case your problem persisted. Either way, please post a comment here, & let me know how it's turned out! Good Luck!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.