Mon, Sep 23, 3:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Import of complex Poser scenes possible?

duesentrieb ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 2:59 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:37 AM

I recently heard that Vue can import Poser .PZ3 files and apply the proper texturing. The time consuming, or even malfunctioning texturing of imported Poser scenes was the main disadvantage of most 3d programs... ...until now??!? Is it REALLY possible to save e.g. a fully clothed Nene character with various mat settings, transparency maps and all that, open it in Vue and voil no more work to do than push the "Render" button? If you have any experiences, please share them with me! Thanks in advance, duesentrieb

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 5:41 AM

Yes, that's pretty much the way it works. :) There are some issues wityh the .BUM import. it works for some people, but not for others, and no one knows why... But, if you have the original image file which was used to create the original .BUM file, you can use it in Vue 4, and it will work just the same, though you'll need to lower the Gain setting in Vue, but that's very easy. Otherwise, textures do all load, because the Poser pz3 scene file stores all the full path info for all textures. THe best thing I could suggest is to go and download the Vue 4 demo. There's a link to it in the announcements box at the top of the screen. And if you have any questions (which you will!), please ask us. :) -Mike

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 6:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=97562&Start=1&Artist=agiel&ByArtist=Yes

Yes... It IS possible to import complexe scenes from Poser into Vue. If you follow this link, one of my halloween pictures is 90% poser (character, broom, rooftop, cat, doll). However, there is a big drawback to importing a complexe scene : all the textures and materials are placed into one big vue object. If you have 3 characters, you end up with 3 faces, 6 arms and 6 legs materials in the same vue object. Unless you rename them in Poser before importing, it becomes difficult to see what belongs to whom. Other than that, Vue works great with poser since their 4.01 patch. I found I have to edit the materials once in vue to give them some bump, highlight and other effects. And there is also the transparency to tune in some cases (there are plenty of threads about this in the forum).

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 7:00 AM

I almost forgot ... the solution to the problem with materials from poser to vue is to break up your poser scene into multiple files (one for each character, one for groups of objects, one for the room....). This way, the textures are assigned to separate vue objects after import. Another, more difficult way would be to import one big poser scene and to group materials into vue.

X-TC ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 10:07 AM

Attached Link: http://www.xtc-studio.de

Is all of that possible with Vue 3.1, too? I have a model with the standard Poser textures, and importing it to Vue 3.1 was no problem at all. Then, later on while getting better with Poser I made my own textures for this model... but when I imported it to Vue (I used the *.3ds format for exporting the model which worked fine at start) the model was completely "grey". Anyone any clues about what happened, or how I can import my model to Vue without losing the textures?

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 10:42 AM

Vue 4 is the first version to be able to import the PZ3 format, with all textures. Using 3.1, you can import Poser models with textures like this: Export from Poser using OBJ format. Copy all related textures into the same directory as the exported OBJ. Now import the OBJ into Vue and the textures will apply themselves. You may still need to make some Y = -1 adjustments and/or fiddle with transparencies. It doesn't work this way with the 3DS export because Poser doesn't export 3DS properly. You can still get a good object out of Poser that way, but as you've discovered, there won't even be color applied.

X-TC ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 11:56 AM

Thx for the hint, Varian. Well I've tried it out and must say that the textures are now on the model, but sometimes are distorted awfully. Some Deatils don't really look good... there are some "green stripes" around her stomach, for example. I still wonder why the first version of the model (the one with the poser standard textures) worked fine even with .3ds exporting/importing. Could it be possible that the resolution of the new texture is the main problem to all of this? It's a 16001600 texture with 100 dpi. Well after all I guess I'll upgrade to Vue 4.0, as far as I read it can import real Poser files... I'm pretty new to rendering, but it's lots of fun and worth every minute (and money).

bloodsong ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 4:06 PM

heyas; xtc, that sounds like an 'invisible' section of clothing becoming visible (which shouldnt happen :/ ), or you have bums loaded in the pz3. the bums usually translate over with strange gradient ripples in them, and can make your texture look striped. i dunno, i might hold the record for most complex pz3 loaded successfully into vue. one michael figure, a set of attatched armor props, an extra armor prop, hair, a falconing glove; one daz charger with one saddle conforming figure, one bridle figure (with two attatched reins), one conforming mane. hmm... that isn't really all that complex, is it? ;)

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 8:26 PM

file_229741.jpg

This thread got me thinking... so I went to get one of my complex poser scenes and I imported it directly into vue as one big object. The only thing from Vue is the bumps, lights and atmosphere.

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 9:26 PM

Oh, that is beautiful, Laurent! It looks like a very old painting. I keep looking at it. :) X-TC, when using the OBJ import, some Poser textures (particularly body/skin stuff) usually needs to be flipped. In the Y scale of the material use -1 and that will do the trick, most usually. As Bloodsong mentioned, the green line might be due to the bump being set too strongly. Check the Bump tab of the material and set the Gain to something like .2 or even .02 -- bumps come on strong in Vue and the smaller numbers usually work out best. :)

duesentrieb ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 2:33 AM

Thanks everybody for the detailed explanations. I think I'm convinced :-)

X-TC ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 12:33 PM

Thanks too for all your help here! I'll try it out once more, and then let's see what happens (to me g). Superb picture, agiel, very atmospheric! Btw. I ordered Vue 4.0 anyways... hope it's worth the money! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.