Fri, Sep 20, 9:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Light coming from a light bulb

PTNAA ( ) posted Sat, 10 November 2001 at 1:36 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:44 AM

Attached Link: ptnaa@singnet.com.sg

Can anyone advise how to create and simulate light coming out of a light bulb in carrar? I used anything glow- also cannot. Rgds Paul Tan

DotPainter123 ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 8:57 AM

You are in some luck. I myself have just attempted a similar project, including light from a lamp. I added a bulb light from the lights menu and put it inside the lamp shade that I modelled. After some tweaking, I got an acceptable result, especially for a newbie to carrera. You could do the same by creating the physical light bulb and then make the glass of the bulb fully transparent or add a white color for a "soft white" bulb. Put a bulb light within the bulb and then adjust the lighting properties. The main problem I have is using the transparency settings to affect the transmission of a light through the intervening object(ie. lamp shade). This can cause some unrealistic results, like a fully transparent lamp shade that should be opaque. There should be a better way to indicate how light is transmitted through an object without using the transparency. Anyway, hope this helps. DotPainter123

litst ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 10:01 AM

Hi PTNAA, I'd second Dotpainter's advices : you can model a bulb light object and add a Bulb Light light inside it . Just an additionnal tip : if you don't want to be bothered by the way the light goes through the bulb light object, then disable its "cast shadows" checkbox in the properties tray . I hope this helps, litst

PTNAA ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2001 at 5:03 PM

Thanks! But i was not too satisfied with the result. Actually, what i had in mind was to model and simulate a glowing tungsten within a glass bulb(can actually see a tungsten in the bulb). The only way to make it light up and look like a lit bulb was to place the light bulb outside of the modelled glass bulb + added light FX. Is there any other way around this? tks

DotPainter123 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2001 at 8:22 PM

I did some tests (oh joy) and I got some interesting results by doing the following:

I created a bulb with a nice glass shader (see below). Then I created the filament and gave it a glow channel combining two colors, light yellow and bright orange, using the turbulence mixer. Then I went into the assemble room and under the properties window:modifiers I enabled the glare option and set the glare properties. I also then went to the edit menu:environmental lighting and set object color to object glow. Lastly I deleted all light sources.
This produced a nice effect of a glowing filament within a light bulb. It was a nice learning opportunity and took only about 30-40 minutes.

With more time and experimentation, I could probably do a little better. [;) One probable improvement would probably be to use an anything glows tube light for the filament. This may allow for more lighting effects and greater impact on other objects in the scene.

glass shader:
(color:value=0,transparency:value=100,
shininess:value=20,highlight:value=60,refraction:index of refraction=common glass)

Yours Truly,
DotPainter123

PTNAA ( ) posted Fri, 23 November 2001 at 8:06 AM

Thanks for the great tip - it helped me a lot. Now, i am trying to simulate water river action..any idea how? is there a displacement map function in carrar? tks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.