Sat, Sep 21, 12:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: All Come Ye Merry Gentle'persons' and critique this photo.

APFrey ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2001 at 7:54 AM ยท edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 8:40 AM

file_246949.jpg

Foolin around with some stuff at home. I think this is the best shot I took just because of the simplicity of it. What do you think? Andrew

Alpha ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2001 at 2:26 PM

Looks like a clean product shot... Want to tell us what the light set up was? And did you run and unsharp mask on this after converting to JPEG? It looks just a tiny whisker soft.

APFrey ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2001 at 3:28 PM

The light setup was just daylight on a plain white piece of foam-core. I don't like to use post work on my stuff unless it is contrast or hue adjustment or maybe to remove dust. If it looks soft here it is because I used a +3 enlargement filter on my lens which gives a very shallow depth of field, hence making most of the apple out of focus. Oh geez! There go all my secrets! -Andrew

Finder ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 12:15 PM

Alpha: Are you suggesting unsharp AFTER .JPG-conversion? My advice to many has been "don't do ANYTHING after JPG'ing -- especially unsharp!" (well, now that I think about it, I guess increasing saturation or shifting the hue afterward is even WORSE) I also remind'm not to use too big of a 'radius' number for unsharp -- I most often use .67, even on a fairly large image (maybe up to 800X600, I mean). I see brazen over-use of unsharp all over the place these days (catalogs and newspapers and such), but on the same token, I think a descrete amount is MANDATORY after resampling. APF: That's a beautiful subject for the study, but I think it needs more depth of field, whatever it takes -- I mean these view camera freaks (I wish I were one) are running f/32 all the time, and taking, like, eighteen second exposures! Merry Christmas!

Finder ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 8:27 AM

I would have sworn that this would have turned out to be a very interesting thread. We got studio still life art photography, depth of field control, lossy compression, post production techniques.. This is some important stuff!

APFrey ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2001 at 11:23 AM

Some people have no respect for the finer things in life, huh, Finder?!

Finder ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2001 at 2:15 PM

file_246951.jpg

This is some important stuff. It's what I've been trying to work out in my own photography. Here is my first reasonable attempt at a composed still life (on the dinner table) I just took it a few weeks ago..

APFrey ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2001 at 7:13 PM

file_246953.jpg

Very nice still-life, Finder. I'm guessing the downward angle was done to remove your reflection from the coffee mug. None the less, it is an interesting composition. It's almost abstract compositionally. It speaks volumes to me since it relates to a typical meal I might eat. Good job! Here's the first still-life I did. You can see I was still trying to grasp the depth-of-firld concept but I was still proud of it. It really got me interested in still-life photography and photography in general...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.