Mon, Oct 21, 5:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 4:13 pm)

Subject: Am I Good? Buffy Texture using actual photos please evaluate!

bobhobz ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 12:02 AM

file_252390.jpg

Here is Kelly again, with the addition of the more realistic hair that Nance turned me onto. Great stuff, Nance! Thanks!

By the way, regarding the question of copyright. What is the bottom line. If I take this Kelly figure and make a 3d painting or a comic book with it, would that be a 3-way copyright infringment since I used a DAZ Victoria figure, the Asia texture and the Transcurls hair?

Bob

AprilYSH ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 12:33 AM

don't sell victoria, the Asia texture and the trans curls hair themselves. if the trans curls which you downloaded free allows commercial use, you are okay to sell the painting or comic books. because you bought the other two, just read the license files to double check, but usually anything from daz or this site's store are allowed to be used in commercial renders. have fun on your poser journey :)

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

elektra ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 6:58 AM

Bob - Just so you know, my friend is a professional illustrator who had done work for George Lucas and Steven Speilberg, check out: www.tlstudio.com She uses regular paints and brushes, air brush and her totally kics-ass Mac with a stylus pad?. She's been doing a lot of stuff on her computer. I can't do on paper or canvas even an iota of what I've been able to accomplish using Bryce and Poser. I'm not nearly as good as the folks here, yet, but I don't belittle them because of it. I will give you credit though, you had the guts to admit you were wrong and you apologized. That, IMO, goes a long way. Computers are now being used for a great many things. Toy Story comes to mind as well as Shrek, Monsters, Inc and Final Fantasy - a visually stunning film. Granted, they are not using Poser and Bryce, but this is what many of us can afford and use to learn on. I've seen some amazing stuff done with Lightwave, 3DS and Maya. So, join the fun and see where it can take you. Welcome aboard!

elektra ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 7:00 AM

D'oh! I forgot! William - good work. I particularly like the second portrait. I'm a huge Buffy fan and I think you have a lot of potential.

nikitacreed ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 10:11 AM

bobhobz - The Kelly likeness looks pretty darn good so far. Her face is starting to look a bit stretched though. I am not sure if tha is the camera focal length in Poser or the morphing job. As far as the hair...it looks good...but I think you may find some of the commercial hair products might match Kelly a little better. (As well as being guaranteed for commercial usage in images...since ya bought it.) Try the San Fransisco Hair by Jim Burton at DAZ. ( I would give you a direct link....but DAZ seems to be having problems this morning. http://www.daz3d.com You also might want to look at some of the great hair by Vairesh here at R'osity. http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?Who=VAIRESH Good luck and welcome to the Poser world. =OD You really know James Marsters huh? Cool! Anyway...I would like to see some of your traditional work. Do you have a site where we can see your paintings? William - IT'S BUFFY...I MEAN...NEO DURGA!!!! She looks awesome William!! You have outdone yourself on the morphing job! The texture looks great too! I want it! I want it! I want it! LOL! Seriously William....as far as likenesses of any kind go...you are most definitely the master!

bobhobz ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 4:22 PM

Thanks. I plan to redo the Kelly pic this weekend. I'm on a roll now and I can't rest until I perfect this thing. Most of the work will no doubt have to be done in PhotoShop. I can manipulate the Poser figure thru morphing until the cows come home, but I'll never get the results I can get by just going in and using my airbrush, blend and smudge tools. I just bought a new Wacom Bronze Graphire2 tablet and can't wait to use it. If you're interested in my non-Poser artwork, go to: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/6571 and www.geocities.com/Area51/Atlantis/2806

3-DArena ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 4:47 PM

kieraw, In regards to derivitave work, the work used must not make up or be the primary focal point of the piece. In the case of photos being used for skin it could be argued that they are a major focal point (no matter how many images are used). Photos on the net are not royalty free unless the person offering them is the actual photographer. The problem with creating a character likeness for 3-D (and I'm sure it will appear in the courts within the next few years) is that it can appear to "endorse" items. Lets say you use the buffy likeness to advertise your site or in your banner, it could be taken that she is thereby endorsing or that you are intending to make it appear as if she is. As for the question of being a lawyer - no, but I was a law student who had to leave due to health issues, my goal was corporate law and I do my damnedest to keep up with all the issues and precedents. As for Bobhobz, Well, yes there is a place for 3D art, it is the future. I have a bit of commission work now for book covers, and I am sure taht you would be surprised by how many covers actually are "computer" generated (as if the computer does it all alone)...

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

nikitacreed ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 5:12 PM

Keep us posted on your progress Bob! I enjoy watching projects developing. :o) Thanks for the links! I will go and check out your work!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.