Fri, Oct 4, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: All I need now is a place to host the critter...

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2002 at 2:56 PM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 4:09 PM

file_258618.jpg

The Atrium base is all done (kinda sci-fi, but still...) I'll be adding items to it (and improving the original parts) as time goes on... The roof will be done this week, as well as an elevator car for the shaft (a makeshift "car" can be made from a couple of prop cylinders in the meantime...otherwise the "glass" can easily be made opaque or translucent before rendering.) Then comes the props (unless someone else makes 'em first. Filesize of the .pz3 (including Mr. D. Yardstick in the center) is roughly 2.4MB unpacked. I left him in during construction to make sure things ran fairly smooth as you moved about the room... (I've still got latent map performance obsessions :) Now the beauty of it is this: If anyone wants to modify/improve on it, or incorporate it into one of their structural set-pieces, then distribute the results, then go for it... it'll be released under the GNU GPL as far as licensing (the same license Linux uses), so that anyone who wants to can improve on it without copyright fears. (the GPL can be found at http://www.gnu.org) The whole thing is made of a bunch of .obj files and figures (still learning the grouping tool) brought together. The image above is a straight render. Texturing is kinda mono-themed, but hopefully not too hard on the eyes :)

thorntoa ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2002 at 5:44 PM

Hey, that looks nice -- I'll be looking for a down load . . .!

Allan Thornton

Kiera ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2002 at 5:48 PM

cheers for Penguinisto Woo, GPL!! Dayam, a modeller AND a GNU nerd. =) This looks great, very well done. I wish I had hosting room, but alas, my one freebie is chewing enough bandwidth as it is. =D Good luck in finding a spot for it.. I know I would have a lot of uses for this set. =)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2002 at 6:37 PM

You're very generous to be offering this under the terms of the GPL. Thank you! And don't worry about the textures, they're very easy on the eyes. They give the Atrium a clean, modern look. Color can always be added with props, decorations, and other set dressing. And I'm sure that many of the artists here at Renderosity will cheerfully create new textures for the set, once they get their hands on it.

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2002 at 9:35 PM

I can host it. Toss me an email at crescent@fallencity.net and I could put it on my site with a thumbnail. I'd send you the link so you could upload it under your name in the FreeStuff area.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2002 at 10:13 AM

Crescent: Mail sent... I look forward to hearing from you. Everyone else - thx guys! I've been doing this sort of thing for (literally) years in the first-person shooter world, and I've recently been tasked with teaching 3D multimedia at the school, so this is more for fun than anything else. Also, since it is released under the GPL, I've included the entire thing in .dxf (AutoCAD) format as part of the .zip; it'll take a heap of work to mess with it (it would prolly be easier to use all the .obj files included instead), but for those with 3DS Max or Bryce, I figure that a single monolithic .dxf file of the whole set would be easier to work with. (I had to use .dxf because AC3D has a limited export list; .obj and .3ds weren't in that list.) In either case, I'll be home tomorrow all day (Thx to Mr. King), so I'll get started on the roof then. Regd's, /P

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.