Wed, Oct 2, 11:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: What's a .mtl file?

rockets ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 3:38 PM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 3:32 PM

This is another question I should know the answer to but don't. Where does this particular file go (an .mtl file)? :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 3:44 PM
Site Admin

It goes with some .obj files. I'm not sure what it does, but you should put it in the same folder as the .obj (if it isn't there already)...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 3:47 PM

It's the "material" file associated with a Wavefront .obj file, which defines the textures that go with each group. When you import an .obj into Poser, if it has a matching .mtl file, Poser should be able to automatically apply the textures as well.

rockets ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for the quick responses...I knew I could count on you guys!

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

geralday ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 4:19 PM

I'm told that the OBJ file has the material details encoded within it, and typically the mtl file is no longer required... I still keep mine though! .. Just in case!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.