Mon, Oct 21, 6:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 9:28 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Basic modeling question (anim8or)

igohigh ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 2:36 PM · edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 12:45 AM

What is the relationship of 'added edges' to existing 'faces/edges'?

example:
I made a block with 10 divisions on the X-axis and 10 on the Y-axis.
Then I wanted to Cut Out a diamond shape from one of the divisions so first I tried by adding the edges of the diamond, then 'filled holes' between the new edges.
BUT when I tried to then Cut the diamond shape out I found all I could do was cut either the whole 'square' or just the 'faces' surrounding the diamond leaving the diamond that I wanted removed.

OK, I finally figured out I was working in the 'wrong direction' (from inside to outside) and finally just deleted the whole 'square' division and then added Edges to form my diamond and then 'fill holes' to add back the outter faces. Done deal, I got what I wanted....

But now I am not sure just what is the relationship of "add edge" to the existing mesh if the added edges to not actually divide the face they are formed across??
(hope this makes sense?)

svaccaro ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 4:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.sciformz.com

Wow, I think I am confused. WOuld love to see some screen captures of what you did. Why not draw a profile and sweep around a line to get your diamond?

igohigh ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 7:48 PM

file_3509.jpg

On the left is the final result I got by removing the 4 divisions where I wanted the diamond cut-out. I then drew in the new edges and filled the holes.

The left is a demo of my first (failed) method of trying to "add" the edges/fills and then "cut" the diamond out.

My question is:
On the Left image, what is the relationship of the Added Edges (in green) to the 'original' faces?
I had thought that the 'new edges' would have 'divided' the faces, but they appearently do not??

I'm trying to better understand the Point/Edge/Face relationship to get a better grasp on how to proceed when begining a project from scratch.

(also let me point out that I have no 'training' in modeling and just trying to 'blaze my own path' in my "spare time" ;-P

svaccaro ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 1:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.sciformz.com

Well, ok, I am not the expert on mesh control. But what I can say is this: Simply adding a face or even a segment to an existing shape does not necessarily mean you are altering the construction of the shape UNLESS that program constitutes it. The "added edges" are simply another object I believe. They are not one in the same. For example, in my program, there is a tool to "Add segment" to an existing object. That then becomes part of that object respectively. The key thing to remember is that there are many ways of doing things in a modeling program to achieve the same results. Find a method that is easiest for you to accomplish what you want or one that you feel comfortable with. Gees, I hope I explained myself well enough. Sorry if I confused you more. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.