Sun, Oct 6, 6:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: San Juan Clipper for mboncher "adrift"

Vile ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 2:55 PM ยท edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 2:33 AM

file_5534.jpg

Ironically I just made an image with that San Juan model, so I said I would post my version if he wanted. Feel free to comment. I spent a lot of time on the textures of the boat until I came up with something that looked realistic.

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 3:49 PM

Hi Vile! ;-) Hmmm...a couple of critique points for you. First of all I love the sky and the water, no need to improve that. The boat however could use some work, it looks kind of flat like a cut out. It may just be the angle or the fact that is is dark. The other thing is that the boat should be "heeling" in the other direction. You have it leaning to the windward side (which never happens) when it should be leaning to the leeward side. Waves or no, a boat with that much sail up should be at a 20 degree heel to lee at least. It also wouldn't hurt to have someone on deck, it looks a bit like a ghost ship. Some bow wave splash would make it feel more realistic too. Other than that you're on the right track. ;-)

Vile ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 4:10 PM

I know this looks dark but is actually twice this size maybe I should include a detail (also the sun is setting behind the ship), and it is "Adrift" no crew. Although that was a good point with the wind (I have never been sailing lol) maybe I will change the angle of the ship...

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 5:38 PM

Ah, okay fair enough. One thing though about a boat with sails up and no one at the helm. They tend to round up into the wind automatically. The sails then start to "luff" and flap in the breeze. The only way it would stay on course with sails full is if the autohelm is set (or someone lashes the wheel so it can't spin). I use to do a lot of sailing and racing offshore so I'm pretty familiar with boats. Full sails mean the boat is underway. I'd love to see the close up detail. It really is a beautiful image, I'm just nitpicking the details. ;-)

Vile ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 6:33 PM

file_5535.jpg

This is a better detail But I think I will re-work the image though

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 6:59 PM

Ah, yes. That looks really nice. I'll bet if you imported it into Poser first you could use magnets to make the sails look like they are luffing. Then export it to Bryce and you'll be all set. ;-) Good luck, make sure you post it again after your changes.

Vile ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 9:20 PM

You know I have never even thought of doing that. thanks for the tip I will try that.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 4:06 AM

Great job. I thought the water could have smaller swells, more compacted. The boat looks small, like a model, in there. But don't mind me, this is excellant work.

mboncher ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 11:13 AM

Finally got a chance to see it Vile, very nice work. The water is great, and I love the sky... I have to get so good. The only thing that I can say is that it lacks a feel of depth, but that's a very minor thing, because it looks like a large swell is approaching the ship. Overall, I like it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.