Thu, Sep 19, 5:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Used to think I was pretty smart

shorterbus ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 8:04 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 12:22 AM

Trying to get reasonably adept at Poser, but feel like I am drowning. Character face turns black upon render. Think it is because a jpeg file needs to be a bum file. If so, how do I convert jpeg to bum?

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 8:18 PM

If you're using Poser without the Pro Pack, load the JPG into the bump area of the materials dialog and it will convert it.

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 8:36 PM

Be sure you aren't applying a transmap to the texture area. That could turn the face to turn black. Melanie

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 10:33 PM

Check your lighting?

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 10:37 PM

I JPG loaded in the bump channel by a MATpose will render blackish in non PP Poser.

chriscox ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 10:45 PM

If your using a MAT pose, in addition to converting the .JPG into a .BUM you'll also want to do a find and replace for "jpg" with "bum" in the Mat pose file. Chris Cox

Chris Cox

aleks ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 1:42 AM

i believe i remember that .bums are the same as .bmps. save your .jpg as .bmp and then rename it to *.bum.

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 3:01 AM

We need a utility that will convert jpg's to bumps en masse so when we go to apply a material pose, it's there and ready rather then "can't find file blah blah blah" or other such horrors -WTB

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 4:14 AM

it's possible it could be the Mat pose file itself, I found with some the skin colour gets changed to black

ronknights ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 6:25 AM

file_5736.jpg

Here's one MAT thing that confused the heck out of me at first. Some MAT Pose files have MATS that should only be used with Poser Pro. If you use them with Poser, you get a black face! You can tell which is which. Look at the screenshot. You see some one that says M2Map2P4. That is used with Poser. M2Map2 is used with Poser Pro. You don't always see both options. When you do, use the P4 MATS with Poser 4. Does this make sense? If you only have Poser 4, and don't plan on getting Poser Pro, you can safely delete the Poser Pro MATS.

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 7:52 AM

Ron, your viaual aids are excellent. Great work. I rendered an image the other day in which the figure's face turned jet black with only the lips and eyebrows showing. It turns out that I had inadvertently loaded the eyelash/eyebrow transparency into the texture area. In a transmap, everything except for the part you want to show is black on the image. It'll turn your face totally black. Well, your figure's face, not yours (LOL). This is why I suggested this above. It looked very strange. The description Shorterbus described at the top of this thread sounds like that. It doesn't mention the "rolling in the fireplace" appearance, when the PPP bump is applied, it says "black." That's why I thought it might be the transmap applied in the texture area, because i accidentaly did this just a few days ago. Melanie

ronknights ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2002 at 12:23 PM

You're probably right, Melanie! I just couldn't resist throwing out my previous PPP vs P4 MAT discovery, grin!

shorterbus ( ) posted Fri, 26 April 2002 at 12:43 AM

Man, am I feeling loved! It was a jpeg to bum file conversion situation. Made the conversion as JeffH's instructions and problem was solved. Thanks for the help.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.