Thu, Oct 24, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 24 1:32 pm)

Subject: Creating a waterfall

Hardwick ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2000 at 1:04 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 10:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.topcities.com/anime/hardwicks/

I was woundering if anybody had some tips how to create a waterfall.having big trouble to do one :-(

Art ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2000 at 5:39 PM

You should check out Peter Sharpe's site, filled with lots of great tutorials, and while the site is pretty much dedicated to Bryce, the techniques may be similar. www.petersharpe.com Good luck, - Art -

tesign ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2000 at 7:59 PM

I agreed with Art that the approach is somewhat the same. I will be attempting one as a challenge to myself but not so soon. It has been in me for a long time. Bill

silverbranch ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2000 at 10:23 PM

Hello, there is a waterfall landscape for download at http://www.multimania.com/adosnon/GB-index.htm . You might want to take it apart and see how he did it. Gail

Art ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2000 at 6:19 AM

Sorry, but that link when clicked on shows: Page or file not available. - Art -

Hardwick ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2000 at 10:40 AM

Ya i know :-( to bad that the lnk was broken but i think i know how to do it now thanx for the help

tesign ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2000 at 7:21 PM

If you still want to see the waterfall image, you can see it at his file exchange section under "landscape". Bill

silverbranch ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2000 at 10:12 PM

Hi Bill, I just went and tried to download and it shows "file not found". :-( I wrote him tho, hopefully he will fix the link. Gail

tesign ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 2:09 AM

Hi Gail and Art, I am not sure if you all need to download or view it. Here is a larger picture of that waterfall image. There is a comment that he made as how the waterfall' effect is achieved. I am doing my own with a different approach. I will post when its done and let you all see how I fare. Bill

tesign ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 2:10 AM

Ooooopss...absence minded me :( ..err....here is the URL - http://www.wingate-consultants.com/vue/christop.htm Bill

Art ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 6:38 AM

Ahh...the old Abrupt Denivelation trick!! God, what was I thinking!? Heh! Looks like he used a flat but higher elevation of terrain, lowered and with some erosion applied a water material to it. It looks pretty nice except I think the lower (bottom of the falls) area should show more distortion instead of the smooth waters look. It seems he tried a misty area there as well, but the one thing that detracts IMHO is the reflection on the lower showing the falls...again distortion. But, HEY, thanks Bill. I didn't mean to pick at his images, but I was sort of dissecting it verbally to discern how he created it. He has done a lot of nice work, but as we know it's the little things...details that people like us, tend to notice and how they relate to real life. Best regards, - Art -

tesign ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 8:15 AM

Hi Art, I agreed with you every bit you commented. But it's certainly a very very good attempt at that time. I really do not know what "abrupt denivelation" is. I am trying to created a 'waterfall', not a huge one like Nigara fall, but something of a large stream fall off. I like stuff close up, and like you said, so that details close to the real stuff can be seen. Hope you all interested in this waterfall thing going on here don't expect too much though :) Bill

Art ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 12:36 PM

Bill, Denivelation refers to a dropoff from a 0 based reference point, used mainly to denote cave depth, waterfalls, and changes in elevation of land masses. I think the flat top area of his water would be the 0 reference and the Abrupt (or sudden) denivelation (dropoff) would be his waterfall face going down the the water area below or at the bottom of the falls. Yes, one could simply say a sudden dropoff, but abrupt denivelation does sound more sophisticated. Hah! Have a great day! - Art -

tesign ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 8:49 PM

Thanks for the description, Art. It has just affexted some of my brain cells :) Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.