Sun, Sep 22, 4:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Depth of field/Bryce with PSP

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 9:18 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:18 PM

I AM going to cross post this with Paintshop Pro forum. There is some discussion on the Bryce ng about the depth of field discussed in the manual on 437. Calyxa has given a way to do it in PS, but there are several trying to do it in PSP. Is it possible? I've tried--can get the mask loaded and a selection and when I apply gaussian blur it gives the whole selection the blur. Either I'm not doing it correctly or it isn't possible in PSP. If you have tried it and know a solution, we'd sure love to know. Diane B

Serpent ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 10:14 AM

Hello, I think that the manual is suggesting to apply the Gauz Blur in Photoshop to the Alpha Channel only. I know that Photoshop can apply filters to individual channels. Like for example you can run a filter on just the red channel alone. You need to blur the depth mask in it's own Alpha Channel. I'm not sure if PS Pro has this ability but I believe it does. Sorry if this is no help. Serpent

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 10:32 AM

Did you make a depth render? What I had to do in Photoshop was take the depth render and lower the brightness(make it darker) so the filters didn't effect to much. I have not played with PSP so I can't give you the steps...sorry. You might want to try some tests make a new layer and make a black circle, grey circle and white circle next to each other. then you should be able to "make layer selection" then apply filters. Spike

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 12:19 PM

Yes, made a regular render and a depth render. I brought both into PSP. The problem that occurred was that you could 'select from alpha channel' but what you got was a selection of everything that wasn't white in the alpha channel. So--consequently, what you got in the rgb render was gaussian blur to everything but the sky. It didn't do it by 'degrees' I guess--you know where the things further away are lighter grey and the closer up was darker. It didn't distinguish between them. I don't know if that's clear or not. I think I see what you are getting at--you are putting the black, grey and white all on the same layer, but PS can select those as different layers????? Serpent, I don't know how to apply just to the alpha channel--I suspect that PS and PSP work differently here (well, there has to be SOME reason for the difference in price LOL). Diane B

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 1:13 PM

Try this: After selecting the Alpha Channel, "select inverse" and then apply the filter. for better control you can still lighten or darken the depth render before you select it. Spike

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 2:23 PM

Spike, I've also explored some 'blend' options in our PSP Selection menu that let's you select by grey or RGB, CMYK, etc. channels. I'm not sure if this is pertinent, but it looks like something to try further--I just made a really simple render (both perspective and distance) with some geometric shapes at different distances so will continue to play with that. I'll try your idea also. Diane B

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 3:21 PM

Heres what you need to do: 1. Turn off all layers but the depth render layer. 2. Select the depth render layer. 3. Masks, New, From Image. 4. Selection, From Mask. 5. Turn on and select the layer that you want to apply the filter to. 6. Image, Blur, Gaussian Blur. That should do it. Remmber that Black = 100% mask. White = 0 % mask. Did this help? Spike

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 3:36 PM

We'll see G. I thought this was what I did--I had the mask (which is shades of grey) because its 'from image'. However, what happens is that the gaussian blur doesn't seem to be applied at varying levels--which is what I should expect-right?--it seems to apply the same across the board--the whole selection (all grey, black) seems to get the filter the same. I'll try exactly this--may need to put up some printscreens or images. Thanks for the help--you've been my 'savior' many a time smile Diane B

dhanco ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 4:40 PM

I think I got it to work, Diane, following Spike's "Here's what you need to do" - think I inverted it, but the trees in front are blurred and the furthest tree is clear. I'm a newbie in this group and don't see an attachment tool. Deanna

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 4:43 PM

I tried it and it worked for me. I used the bottle image that came with PSP6 demo. First thing i did was merge all layers. Then I made a new layer and made a box selection, then filled it with a gradient fill from black to white. From there I just did the steps as stated in the above post. And Magic looks great! Spike I will post it so you can see Spike

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 8:56 PM

Okay--I'll try it. Just got back in and have been playing with a digital camera. My husband just brought a very 'fauncy' Sony Mavica home (camcorder and still camera) from one of his clients that we have to use tomorrow for a project and I got carried away playing with it while I have the chance. I'll try this out--the 'invert' is obviously the key. Thanks all--post yours Spike and Deanna. Deanna--to post with an attachment you have to 'post new message' and attach. You'll see a tool/browse button there--UNLESS (which you are) handy with HTML--and can attach from your web page. Its easier to say you are going to post a new message above and just attach from your HD. Diane B

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2000 at 9:12 PM

Okay, I want to clarify something here though. You are making the regular render the first layer, the distance render another layer--you did the mask from image (distance layer--THEN you inverted the mask??), etc. When you used the demo pic (the bottle), did you 'merge all layers' because it was IN layers already? Then why did you make a box selection and do a gradient fill instead of a 'mask from image'--I think I missed something. Diane B

Spike ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2000 at 3:32 PM

Diane; In the bottle image I merged all layers because I wanted to apply the filter to the whole image not just one layer.and yes the image had lots of layers. It does not matter what layer is on top, the regular render or the distance render. In the Bottle image I had only 2 layers. 1 = regular render. 2 = distance render. 1. Make the mask from image "distance layer". 2. Selection, From Mask. 3. Here is where you will invert (if needed). pick Invert selection. this will select the oppisite of what is selected. 4. select the regular render layer. 5. Apply the filter of choise. I have a hard time putting into words what I am doing or what I am trying to say here, so if this is confusing to you it's not your fault. Spike

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.