Tue, Oct 22, 9:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: Starting on a "clean" slate

wodie52 ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2000 at 7:28 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:50 AM

Hey, to all U people that were chewing my @ss off about having P4 and asking if someone knew where I could find the P4 Nude Woman model...I just thought I'd letcha know that I kinda thought about it and figured "what if my HD crashed right now?" well, having that in mind, I went to Metacreations Site and Ordered...U guessed it! P4 and while I was there, I picked up Bryce4 and 2 Copies of Carrara. Now that's alotta $$$Money$$$ but having those programs acually on CD makes me feel safer, knowing that anything could happen to my HD. That's just to show that I'm not one of those people that want something for nothing... Now, can anyone gimme a ballpark figure on how much space will be needed??? my HD Holds 27.4 Gigs and I know that they wont use all of that but...I also know that once you get going with Poser, it slowly eats up the space on your HD. Well...L8Ter!

Traveler ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2000 at 7:39 PM

Poser is huge. I know its in the 100's of megs. (200-300 maybe) But it quickly balloons with downloads :) -Trav

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2000 at 8:23 PM

I only have about 4 gigs of hard drive and I have Poser 4, Bryce 4, Amorphium, Ray Dream Studio 5, Painter 3D, and numerous other things, and I've never had a problem with my hard drive filling up. I don't keep all my pz3's. If I render something and think it's worth it, I'll save the pz3 on disk, but otherwise, I delete them when I'm finished with them. I do file off onto disk the things I download to free up space. I keep some texture maps that I use frequently in a folder called Posertex and I convert all my renders to jpg, then file off onto disk when my folder gets too much in it. You shouldn't have a problem with 27.4 gigs. Have fun! Melanie

Eric Walters ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2000 at 8:25 PM

I was up to 1gig with P3. Have not quite got that far with P4 yet! CD burner a GOOD idea! I am up to around 100 CD's burned, art, animation, poser downloads etc! Eric Walters Why 2 copies of Carrara??

Jude ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2000 at 8:35 PM

...just one more quick render... Yeah, how about that. Did you ever suffer clock shock: "Ohmygawd, lookit what time it is...." ?? I wonder if there's a 12-step program for us. Jude

AofD ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2000 at 8:45 PM

Right now my poser folder is 1.27 gigs to give you an idea of how much space it will take up for someone who uses poser alot... As for the other I don't have except byrce 3d and I dont use it all that much... AofD

Scarab ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 12:27 AM

Why in the world did you order TWO copies of carrera? Scarab<-slow on the uptake....but sheesh!

RKane_1 ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 1:32 AM

He could want one for a freind OR just want one for a separate computer like a laptop or other. I would love to workon one project while rendering another. SHEESH it takes a long time.

LoboUK ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 5:37 AM

With 27Gb you should be okay for, ohhhh, three or four weeks :) The install versions of Poser and Bryce aren't mega-massive - it's all the extra figures, props, texture maps, materials, and general "stuff" you'll find yourself downloading. I've got a 17.2Gb HDD dedicated to Poser and Bryce. So far I've got 11Gb left Some form of back-up (ZIP/CD Rom Burner) is essential. I've got about 20 CD's of stuff and it keeps on growing. It's not unusual to get Bryce files of 40Mb or more, so you'll need to save those off of your HDD quite frequently. "Clock-shock"? Oh yeah, I think we've all suffered that using Poser and Bryce :) Paul

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 8:55 AM

Every so often I do a housecleaning of my hard drive and I delete things that I don't use often. If it's something I might want later, I save it to floppy (I don't have a CD burner yet) and I zip a lot of files. It's not necessary to keep a lot of stuff on the hard drive unless you use it frequently. I use Poser EVERYDAY and I create tons of stuff, but I don't leave most of it on my HD. I still manage to keep it down, somehow. If you create something that you don't want to ever re-render again, you don't have to keep the PZ3 file. Just dump it. I've done lots of scenes that I only want for a short time. I don't keep everything. Melanie

Jude ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 9:26 AM

FWIW, a lot of Poser document files are just plain old ASCII text, and are very amenable to compression. If you're balking at the price of a CD burner or tape drive, a few bucks spent on WinZip will give you more time to think about it. Jude

ar2g ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 10:07 AM

Just checked my Poser folder yesterday. 1.46gb. Way too much cool stuff out there. I'd also recommend that you start a habit of visiting Zygote.com weekly for their free models. AR

Ikyoto ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 10:28 AM

My new machine has a 15 GB drive in it. I am adding a 6GB for Poser and 3GB for games... that will leave me with about 13 on the first, 3 on the second and 1 on the last.

ScottK ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 2:59 PM

My Poser directory is just under 700MB. That doesn't count downloads that don't need to be in the Poser directory (PZ3, textures, etc). Those are stored elsewhere and amount to another couple hundred meg. My Bryce directory is just under 100MB. My 3d projects folder, with PZ3 and BR4 documents, is about 2GB, plus about another 1GB in offline storage (DVD-RAM). My rendered files directory is about 1GB, mostly JPG. My rendered movies directory is about 3GB, but will be pared down shortly. It balloons right up with a work in progress. It sure adds up... -sk

lmacken ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 6:16 PM

wodie52: I think you deserve acknowlegment for two things: You didn't give up. And you did the right thing.

Rorschach ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 6:50 PM

A CD burner is a must, as .pz3 files have a biiiig size. Maybe being ascii they'll be zip friendly, but I don't trust floppys to storage data that I want to keep and use later. Too much lost files, and right now blank CDs are pretty cheap (as a floppy ten years ago). Emilio

Jude ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2000 at 7:38 PM

Even with compression (a la WinZip, or whatever) floppies are hopelessly small for .pz3 files. The cost/MB of CD is much better, and it takes a helluvalot less physical space to store a given quantity of stuff. I messed with CD-RW for a while, but I've decided I prefer plain old CD-R. I hate agonizing over what to scratch to make room for new stuff. Also, I'll second Emilio's remarks about poor reliability of floppies. Jude

Nance ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2000 at 12:13 AM

Shucks, does this mean we don' gets to lynch nobody?? :-)

Ikyoto ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2000 at 7:01 AM

Sorry Nance - he turned into a Poser junkie like the rest of us... if yah want I'll tell you about the company I worked at where they have over 120 computers and only licences for about 10!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.