Fri, Sep 20, 9:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Need help please

Metrini ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 3:18 PM ยท edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 2:42 AM

I am having trouble with .bum files. I try to load a texture and I sometimes get asked for the .bum file I know what the .bum file is for but I think Poser is supposed to be able to convert picture files to .bum right? How do i do this? How do I fix it so I stop getting asked for the .bum file when trying to load textures please?

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 5:01 PM

file_15767.jpg

Convert the JPEG (or whatever) to BUM before you load the prop (or whatever). From the Materials window select any object, the ground plain will do, load the file that you want to convert, then set the ground plain back to "No Bump", only then load your object.

hogwarden ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 5:35 PM

It's a bit clucky, ain't it. I'm sure that P5 will be all jpeg based like the Pro-Pack. Like LB says... load the jpg as a bump into anything and Poser will make the BUM file. I've never understood why CL didn't put the conversion utility into the loading code. Bah... Any jobs going, Kupa? LOL! Too late, I suppose! H:)

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 7:54 PM

"Instant Message from Metrini: Hi I saw youre reply and decided to send you a PM The exact problem I am having is I am using the Gothic Armor legendary textures via the pose option..." Does the BUM exist on the HDD? If so does the pose file point to the right location?

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 8:47 PM

I'm not very knowledgeable about Mat pose files, so this is my best guess, not gospel, but I think that the location of a file in pz2 (on a PC, don't know about Mac) can be specified in one of at least three ways 1).

bumpMap ":my.bum"

I think this would tell Poser to look in the Textures folder and its sub-folders. 2).

bumpMap "C:Poser 4RuntimeTextures01V2AnnaVhedTex.bum"

An absolute path, in normal Win format, the file would have to be in exactly the right location to be found. 3).

bumpMap "GetStringRes(1029,53)"

This in internal poser language, the best way to handle this is probably to convert it to one of the other formats.

OK, try this. When it's trying to load the BUM, does it display an Open File dialogue box with the name of the BUM at the bottom? If so just find the bum and put it in the location that the dialogue box opens in. If not, open the Mat pose file in a text editor and use its search facility to find "bum", that should tell you where the pose file is looking for the BUM (as in the above examples). Move the BUM to where the path is pointing, or edit the path statement to point to the BUM. If the pose file is using "GetStringRes" you'll have to try and deduce the name of the BUM, then convert the path statement to one of the other formats.

This is off the top of my head, so I might be wrong, or someone else may have a better solution.

Metrini ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 8:28 AM

The problem I am having is that the files for the package are in this format ElvianChest1.jpg ElvianChest1BUMP.jpg The question is how do I change the ElvianChest1BUMP.jpg to a .bum file so when I click on POSES ==> LEgendary MAT ====> and double click on the corresonding MAT for the armor piece(in this case the Elvian Chest) that I dont get an error message looking for ElvianChest1BUMP.bum. Sorry if I wasnt specific enough earlier Anyone ever have that problem of trying to apply a Pose and get asked to locate the .BUM file?

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 5:41 PM

Metrini, after you instant message, I sort of got the idea that you wer having problems with the pose file. If your just trying to convert JPG to BUM follo the instructions in my post #2. I'll try and restate whats going on here, BEFORE you load your "Gothic Armor". From the menu bar click on "Render", click on "Materials", from the "Object" dropdown list, select "GROUND", from the "Bump Map" section click "Load", navigate to "ElvianChest1BUMP.jpg" select it and klick "OK". Poser will convert the file to a BUM and load it into the GROUND plain, the conversion is now complete (you only have to do this one time). Set your ground plain back to "No Bump". Now every thing should work, if it dosen,t, it's probably because the files are in the wrong place, refer to post #5.

Metrini ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 11:52 PM

I got it to work thatnks for all teh help and patience with me~~

Hisminky ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2002 at 12:07 AM

Actually Les, You have the wrong version of the Legendary textures. Contact Daz and ask for the proper version. If its asking for BUM files then you got the Poser 4 version, not hte Propack version. I had the same problem and they corrected it.

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2002 at 5:49 PM

"Actually Les,You have the wrong version of the Legendary textures."

No I don't. I don't have any version of Legendary textures, I never buoght a prop or texture in my life. It's Martini who has them ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.