Sat, Sep 21, 6:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce quits when importing poser and cant find textures

ghst32 ( ) posted Thu, 25 July 2002 at 5:08 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 11:59 PM

I make a model in poser with textures and export it as wavefront obj and then import it into bryce but bryce brings up a message about not finding the materials and textures and things and says to locate it in the next window. But then it just quits. Anyone seen this?

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 25 July 2002 at 8:44 PM

If you click OK it should open a file menu to let you click through to your poser texture directory where the texture is located. If for some reason you have a bug, there's a workaround... Go back to Poser, go to Render pull down menu and select Materials. Look at the names of the textures that you will need in the pull down boxes, etc (I assume you are familiar with how to identify or change poser textures). Make a note of all the textures that you need and then using a file manager like Explorer on win, or whatever fileman you have, and COPY the textures to the same directory where your exported .obj lives. Bryce looks only in the directory for the obj for the texture on import and if it doesn't see it there, it gives the message. Another thing to try, and it helps, but doesn't completely fix the problem, is to run your .obj through a freeware called Grouper before importing. You can find Grouper in the freestuff section here. Likely you will still have to find some textures using the methods above.

tuttle ( ) posted Fri, 26 July 2002 at 3:31 AM

I just press cancel when it starts asking me anyway. If you know where your textures are then it's the work of a few minutes to do it all manually. Bryce won't deal with transmaps, etc. anyway and half the time it gets it alll wrong. If I do it myself I can make sure it's what I want.

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 26 July 2002 at 11:31 AM

I Have lots of space and hard drives C:D:E:F:G: and H. I unzip my characters into a named directory on H: such as jonsmercenary. I use the poserloader from freestuff to load this into poser. It puts things into the right directories, finds the character mesh if it's just a texture, etc. When I export a jonsmercenary character into bryce I know all the textures will be on H:. The only exception are borrowed meshes from poser itself which will be in the runtime textures folder. The other thing is that hair and costumes sometimes have a transparency or bump map but bryce only finds the texture. You will need to find the hairtrans.bmp, open the texture editor and load it into the second frame to use it. Good Luck,

Spit ( ) posted Sat, 27 July 2002 at 9:21 PM

I've never seen Bryce quit like that after asking you to locate the textures. Have you tried it with more than one export? At that point, Bryce is already reading the .mtl file so it's there okay. Bryce will definitely abort loading the .obj if you've misplaced/deleted the .mtl file that goes with the obj. BTW, it's not that Bryce can't handle the transparency maps, it's that Poser doesn't export that info. If poser DID put transparency info in the .mtl file, though, I don't think Bryce would know what to do with it. Heh.

hillman ( ) posted Sat, 27 July 2002 at 9:27 PM

I have had this happen to me as well. the work around i use if your work on a Mac with OSX is this...

1. go to your Apps folder and find the Bryce5 folder and open it to find bryce5 icon
  2. press command I
  3. click (open in classic) and close window
  4. start up bryce5 and import your poser obj object
    it will open then.
    5.after you import the file save it, quit bryce and repeat step 1.
  5. uncheck (open in classic) then you can start working with your new bryce file in OSX.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.